E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

XM Radio in the E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really enjoying this forum. As a new (this coming Friday) BMW owner, you guys are a terrific resource for information! Thank You!

Now, does anyoone know what difficulties I will run into in connecting an XM radio, the portable one, to the existing system.
I realize that the Sirius is the way to go and iterfaces with idrive, etc. However, I recently purchased XM for my old benz and bought it for 3 years in advance. It also offers MLB, so I get to listen to baseball, something I love.

Any info will be appreciated!

Terry
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Nothing. There are two viable options. 1) FM modulator 2) Aux input. FM Mod install is cleaner but the sound quality isn't as good as Aux. Aux input/hard wired has better sound quality and gives you other options (like being able to hook up other audio sources like a portable DVD, a Laptop, Ipod or other MP3 players, etc.

My recommendation would be to go with Aux input but make sure your XM or Sirius has an audio out. If it doesn't then you can't hook up to your aux input.

Aside: I've found that my JVC Sirius sounds better via FM Mod then Aux. My Ipod is 100 times better on the Aux compared to FM mod. I think the JVC's audio output is bad. Bad source = Bad sound, no matter how it's hooked up.

Teriyaki
Old 05-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='May 10 2005, 07:41 AM
Nothing.? There are two viable options. 1) FM modulator 2) Aux input.? FM Mod install is cleaner but the sound quality isn't as good as Aux.? Aux input/hard wired has better sound quality and gives you other options (like being able to hook up other audio sources like a portable DVD, a Laptop, Ipod or other MP3 players, etc.

My recommendation would be to go with Aux input but make sure your XM or Sirius has an audio out. If it doesn't then you can't hook up to your aux input.

Aside: I've found that my JVC Sirius sounds better via FM Mod then Aux. My Ipod is 100 times better on the Aux compared to FM mod.? I think the JVC's audio output is bad.? Bad source = Bad sound, no matter how it's hooked up.

Teriyaki
[snapback]126574[/snapback]
I never got a clear answer from the dealer on this question, but if I have Satellite prep on my ordered 545i with the standard stereo, can I plug a new XM Sat Radio directly to the system via an easy to access aux input? Is it something that a stereo installer would have to do or is it easy to do? I'm talking about a fixed radio, not a portable handheld device.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

My installer told me that Sat Prep is for Sirius only and only for the tuner that's installed in the trunk. Then the unit is controlled via IDrive.
As for your question, Sat Prep is useless for XM for BMW's. YOu can still get XM if you purchase a portable unit (or anyother audio source). You can listen to it via FM mod or Aux. You can not add Aux yourself. It must be done with the dealer. "Aux" shows up as another audio source (ie: FM, AM, CD, Aux). You can't just plug it in and get sound from it.

Your fix #1: Get XM. LIsten to it via FM mod. You don't need Aux input.
Your fix #2: Get Aux input installed from the dealer ($220-300). Listen to your audio source from through there.

Teriyaki

Teriyaki
Old 05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Where and how do they add the aux in?
tcmalibu

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='May 10 2005, 09:59 AM
My installer told me that Sat Prep is for Sirius only and only for the tuner that's installed in the trunk.? Then the unit is controlled via IDrive.?
As for your question, Sat Prep is useless for XM for BMW's.? YOu can still get XM if you purchase a portable unit (or anyother audio source). You can listen to it via FM mod or Aux.? You can not add Aux yourself. It must be done with the dealer.? "Aux" shows up as another audio source (ie: FM, AM, CD, Aux).? You can't just plug it in and get sound from it.

Your fix #2: Get Aux input installed from the dealer ($220-300).? Listen to your audio source from through there.

Teriyaki

Teriyaki
[snapback]126604[/snapback]
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by tcmalibu' date='May 10 2005, 11:58 AM
Where and how do they add the aux in?
tcmalibu

[quote name='teriyaki88' date='May 10 2005, 09:59 AM']My installer told me that Sat Prep is for Sirius only and only for the tuner that's installed in the trunk.? Then the unit is controlled via IDrive.?
As for your question, Sat Prep is useless for XM for BMW's.? YOu can still get XM if you purchase a portable unit (or anyother audio source). You can listen to it via FM mod or Aux.? You can not add Aux yourself. It must be done with the dealer.? "Aux" shows up as another audio source (ie: FM, AM, CD, Aux).? You can't just plug it in and get sound from it.

Your fix #2: Get Aux input installed from the dealer ($220-300).? Listen to your audio source from through there.

Teriyaki

Teriyaki
[snapback]126604[/snapback]
[snapback]126628[/snapback]
[/quote]

The how is in the SB I have attached. The where is up to u. If u do not specify an alternate loaction the dealer will automatically install in the glove box. SOme have had it installed in the center console, others in the passenger foot well left side, so that the driver can easily reach it. Up to you, but be prepared for some slight extra charge for somewhere other than the glove box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AudioAUX_Eng.pdf (600.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='May 10 2005, 08:48 AM
[quote name='teriyaki88' date='May 10 2005, 07:41 AM']Nothing.? There are two viable options. 1) FM modulator 2) Aux input.? FM Mod install is cleaner but the sound quality isn't as good as Aux.? Aux input/hard wired has better sound quality and gives you other options (like being able to hook up other audio sources like a portable DVD, a Laptop, Ipod or other MP3 players, etc.

Aside: I've found that my JVC Sirius sounds better via FM Mod then Aux. My Ipod is 100 times better on the Aux compared to FM mod.? I think the JVC's audio output is bad.? Bad source = Bad sound, no matter how it's hooked up.

Teriyaki
[snapback]126574[/snapback]
I never got a clear answer from the dealer on this question, but if I have Satellite prep on my ordered 545i with the standard stereo, can I plug a new XM Sat Radio directly to the system via an easy to access aux input? Is it something that a stereo installer would have to do or is it easy to do? I'm talking about a fixed radio, not a portable handheld device.
[snapback]126597[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks-- I appreciate the details.