E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

xi owners: Wheel/Tire.Suspension Questionaire

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by asawadude' post='412028' date='Apr 10 2007, 08:33 AM
I have the latest E60 catalogues from ACS, Alpina, and RD. Only ACS has wheels specific to the E60 xi models and what they do offer has the exact same offset as the RWD models. Alpina and RD do not list offsets. The Breyton North America website is the evosport website and they also do not list the offsets. You forgot to mention Hamann.

The goal here is to find out what the members here are putting on the 530xi's and xiT's in real world applications and not arbitrarily assume that just because a tuner advertises a certain wheel size/offset/tire combination that it is indeed the right combination. Considering the xi models require an offset of somewhere in the range of et35 to et45, some unsual wheel selections are possible. E46 wheels can possibly fit, as well as E53 and E83 wheels. A complete set of E46 M3 ZCP Style 127 forged wheels can probably be found for less than the cost of 2 Alpina wheels. A complete set of E46 330i OEM Perf Pkg Style 135's could also fit. But before I go and plonk some cash down on new tires and wheels, the least I can do is ask the general populace here what tried and tested combinations work best. That's why these forums exist and that is reason why I don't have to place utter reliance on a tuner's catalogue.

Even if I were to spend Hamann, Alpina, RD, or ACS type money, I'd look first at Champion, Fiskes, HRE, Vorsteiner, etc., all of which are as good as, if not better than the products offered by the Euro tuners. And both Champion and Fiske will custom build wheels to the buyers specifications.

Fortunately forum members like Jed Peters do take the time to answer questions. I gained plenty of insight and information from his responses.
Here's a tool you should be using for all your wheel concerns. I was like you a year ago. I spent months researching wheels and offsets that would work. I used this tool every day with each new wheel I found, that I liked. It basically tells you how the wheel will sit in the well.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Learn it. Use it. Live it!

Oh, and 1010tires.com is where Jed Peter got his wheels from. They have a few choices for our cars.