E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Xenon Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Ive done a search on retrofitting Xenon's into my 2005 E61 and confess im now totally confused.

Yes you can buy a full retrofit kit direct from BMW but it is silly money, especially when you factor in main dealer labour rates.

Its easy to pick up Xenon headlights from ebay and I don't mind purchasing a control module from the dealer, but the replacement wiring harness looks an absolute hassle to fit.

Has anyone retrofitted Xenons using parts from ebay?
It it a possible DIY install?
Is their any recoding required after install?

Help!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I retrofitted my ex-E60 with Bi-xenon's bought from Ebay.de.

Keep in mind if you go non-adaptive the install is a lot easier. I can't even imagine the amount of work needed to retrofit the adaptive feature.

I had no help from my dealer...the official retrofit was not available at the time.

I'll give you a quick overview:

I did not need a new LCM module or need any recoding from the dealer. I installed non-adaptive bi-xenon's. I disabled the adaptive motor in the headlights.

IIRC I modified the headlights themselves (disabled the adaptive motor and provided ground to the ballast internally via splicing). The wiring harness in halogen E60's is slightly different than the ones with Xenon headlights. It does not provide power/ground to the ballast (pins missing) as there is no need for those connections with halogen headlights.

I had to modify the headlight wiring harness to bypass LCM checks/errors.

There's more info in an old thread I posted awhile back: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...23296&hl=xenon

If you have anymore questions...let me know.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rossman_999' post='487142' date='Oct 28 2007, 08:36 PM
Ive done a search on retrofitting Xenon's into my 2005 E61 and confess im now totally confused.

Yes you can buy a full retrofit kit direct from BMW but it is silly money, especially when you factor in main dealer labour rates.

Its easy to pick up Xenon headlights from ebay and I don't mind purchasing a control module from the dealer, but the replacement wiring harness looks an absolute hassle to fit.

Has anyone retrofitted Xenons using parts from ebay?
It it a possible DIY install?
Is their any recoding required after install?

Help!

like yourself I am going to do this but am going adaptive !

Any Xenon solution to be legal in the EU needs
The level sensors on the RH suspension
in theory the headlight washer system
yes you will need a new lighting module to do it properly and it will need coding

If you are competent at DIY running wires then why not..

As regards adaptive

The difference is not a bad as indicated im going OEM no resistors to fake it for now anyway.

The adaptive ECU uses the almost the same looms as the standard Bi xenon - I have the wiring diagrams

in fact the Xenon retro loom part number is the same but you have an extra loom for adaptive - this doesnt go to the headlights !

This is the PT CAN - power train network its a simple connection to this Databus to get the steering angle data from the traction control and steering angle sensor.

It will need coding thats probably the expensive bit !

MAE60D
Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by MaE60D' post='492826' date='Nov 11 2007, 09:37 AM
like yourself I am going to do this but am going adaptive !

Any Xenon solution to be legal in the EU needs
The level sensors on the RH suspension
in theory the headlight washer system
yes you will need a new lighting module to do it properly and it will need coding

If you are competent at DIY running wires then why not..

As regards adaptive

The difference is not a bad as indicated im going OEM no resistors to fake it for now anyway.

The adaptive ECU uses the almost the same looms as the standard Bi xenon - I have the wiring diagrams

in fact the Xenon retro loom part number is the same but you have an extra loom for adaptive - this doesnt go to the headlights !

This is the PT CAN - power train network its a simple connection to this Databus to get the steering angle data from the traction control and steering angle sensor.

It will need coding thats probably the expensive bit !

MAE60D
Do you already have Bi Xenon's?

I must admit I have been looking at the adaptive h/lights because of the ability to swap from LHD/RHD and therfore greatly increases the amount of H/L's available. I already have washers so that isnt a problem.

Although I am handy with wiring my main difficulty is identifing the components as the instructions have never been that good. Have you started purchasing components yet? as I would be intrested how you get on (and please take photo's of components)!

PS Respect that you have already retrofitted prof nav!