E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

XENON LIGHT CONVERSION!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there can anyone help me?

I have did the same as baldor18 and won a pair of xenon lights. I am having diffcults on getting them to work properly.

As you mentioned I have ground PIN1 of the lights. The xenon lights come on but they flicker when the ignition is ON.
When the iginition is OFF and I turn the lights they work FINE. Is this because of where I am grounding PIN 1.

Question did you have to replace the LIGHT MODULE in the car? or is because the car needs recoding.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3797&st=45
Old 08-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

i had a problem with the light failure warning
Old 08-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Members

I had the same exact problem you are having. I took the car to the dealer and they were not able to help... I am thinking the car needs to be coded too, but the dealer says no (I have my doubts). We need the help of someone who is better with our cars electronics, maybe Hobi? Keep us posted, I have set of Xenons that I can do nothing with sitting in my garage..

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PGODFAT' date='Aug 25 2005, 02:38 AM
I had the same exact problem you are having. I took the car to the dealer and they were not able to help... I am thinking the car needs to be coded too, but the dealer says no (I have my doubts). We need the help of someone who is better with our cars electronics, maybe Hobi? Keep us posted, I have? set of Xenons that I can do nothing with sitting in my garage..

Good Luck!
[snapback]163078[/snapback]
Do you think its got to do with a bad ground connnection? where did you ground PIN 1? I grounded it in the engine bay and i think it maybe getting interferance when the engine is ON, that makes it flickers. Because it seems to be OK when the engine is OFF?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Ed520' date='Aug 24 2005, 08:05 PM
i had a problem with the light failure warning
[snapback]163055[/snapback]
This is normal when you retrofit the xenon to halogen. The light bulb failure module detected the current draw of the light during operation was less than the mini. limit/range and turned on the indicator light. You either have to live with it, take the failure indicator bulb out or disable the indicator via the modification of the failure indicator circuit.

When I retrofited my Volvo, I modified the warning light circuit inside the headlight relay to disable the warning light.

There are other ways to deal with the warning light but I chose this way. You can search the Internet to find the answer for this side effect.

Another side effect when retrofitting from Halogen to Xenon is the extra glaze. The halogen headlight housing/reflector/lens are not designed for Xenon output intensity. So extra glaze is expected. You may need to re-aim the headlight to make sure that it won't blind the on coming traffic on the other side of the road.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Members

I gounded mine in the same place... my dealer said that a new LCM and wiring harness was needed, but I too have read elsewhere that a retrofit is possible without these parts... doesnt seem like it should be so hard..
Old 08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Members

Arrow

Originally Posted by PGODFAT' date='Aug 25 2005, 11:06 PM
I gounded mine in the same place... my dealer said that a new LCM and wiring harness was needed, but I too have read elsewhere that a retrofit is possible without these parts... doesnt seem like it should be so hard..
[snapback]163366[/snapback]
I am going to try it again when I have so time, or maybe you can have a go.
I read in the retrokit PDF that PIN 5 in both headlights have to be unpluged and an new wire from PIN 5 from both headlights to be wired to PIN 48 of the Light Module. Maybe this will do the trick.

I also checked this on the WDS (Wiring diagram system DVD) and it showed that PIN 5 is connected to PIN 48 of the Light Modules in cars with XENONS as standard.

I have order the PINs from my dealer and I going to give it a go. As PIN 48 at the moment is empty at the moment.

Looked at the WDS and can not fine out where PIN5 of the headlights actually go to currently on a standard Halagon Light. I guess it is not needed when XENONS ARE INSTALLED.

Can anyone help????
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E60_20Xenon_20Retrofit.pdf (989.8 KB, 249 views)
Old 08-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Members

I think I have got it!!!

I have a good look at the circuit diagram of the new loom that the Retrokit provides and i think I can adapt the existing loom to work the same.

In the PDF it mentions we have to ground PIN 1 of the headlights, and replace PIN 5 of the headlights. Well PIN1 can be easily done by mounting it to the body of the car.

As for PIN5 it requires replacing but i found a way around this. instead of replacing you can connect the two wires together on the other end. Which is PIN5 & PIN 62 of the Light Module, then plugging them both into PIN 48 of the Light Module.

The rest of the other PINs in the retro loom is to do with the auto leveling.

I haven't tried it yet. But i will give it a go when i have time. Can anyone confirm this is possible
Old 08-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PGODFAT' date='Aug 25 2005, 11:06 PM
[snapback]163366[/snapback]
Did you do anything to PIN5 of the headlights???
Old 08-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Members

no I didnt... I must say I gave up too soon. Is the LCM in the drivers side footwell, or in the trunk? I think I may take a peak at it.. I may try to find a Xenon LCM at a wrecking yard or somthing, and use that with the correct wiring loom... but If we figure this out I wont have to.. I have my fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: XENON LIGHT CONVERSION!!!!!