E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

XENON BULB REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. Need some instructions on how to replace the xenon bulbs on my E60 545. I don't really like the color of the original factory fitted bulbs and so intend to switch the bulbs to the 6000K Philips xenons which are whiter and more agressive looking - much like those on the Mercs and Lexus.

Took a look at the light assembly area and began scratching my head. There doesn't seem to be enough space in the area to even remove the plastic protective covering behind the xenon bulbs. Does one need to remove the complete light assembly to do so?

Assistance will really be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Dec 3 2004, 10:45 AM
Hi guys.? Need some instructions on how to replace the xenon bulbs on my E60 545.? I don't really like the color of the original factory fitted bulbs and so intend to switch the bulbs to the 6000K Philips xenons which are whiter and more agressive looking - much like those on the Mercs and Lexus.

Took a look at the light assembly area and began scratching my head.? There doesn't seem to be enough space in the area to even remove the plastic protective covering behind the xenon bulbs.? Does one need to remove the complete light assembly to do so?

[snapback]63973[/snapback]

dont know about how to change it, but be careful as it may cause a fault in iDrive if there is some difference in power consumption

let us know how it works out!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Hi m630. Guess power consumption should be the same; its only the heat intensity that's different - or so I think. Anyway, will let you know once I've done it.

Its really mystifying, how such a large car can have such small spaces to work on. Ive just switched the signal bulbs to the clear glass type; really tough fitting even my Asian hands in to turn the plastic holder.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

How much is new bulb? There was an article about xenons in older cars and I got impression that it quite big job to change that bulb to any car.

Bulb 100,- to 200,- ? and work same.

Skaffa
Old 12-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Over here in SINGAPORE, the Philips D2S Xenons will set you back about SGD 420.00 a pair (converts to approx GBP 135.00)

I actually did it on my other ride, an E46 320 without a hitch. Its really as easy as changing any normal halogen bulb. Believe me; the 6000 and 6500K bulbs look alot nicer, however, this may only be applicable in a country like SINGAPORE where there is hardly ever any mist or fog and where there are buildings and street lamps everywhere. If you frequently encounter these, then its better to stick to the factory fitted ones as they are pretty effective in situations like these.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, gotta clarify myself. When I mentioned "like these", I meant mist or fog.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Its been done!!! I have replaced my xenons - no side effects. I am now using the Philips P2S bilbs. Really beautiful.

Okay, now for the procedure. You'll need to remove the front bumper first. You cannot reach the xenons without doing so. Next, you remove the headlamp assy. You can then remove the protective cap which will reveal a square metallic object above the bulb. Twist according to the instruction shown. Remove the bulb and replace with new one.

Will post pictures of improved xenons once I have taken them
Old 12-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545I SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic 7 Pkg, Sport Pkg, BMW Nav Pkg, HUD Pkg, Gargo Liner.

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Dec 3 2004, 11:45 AM
Hi guys.? Need some instructions on how to replace the xenon bulbs on my E60 545.? I don't really like the color of the original factory fitted bulbs and so intend to switch the bulbs to the 6000K Philips xenons which are whiter and more agressive looking - much like those on the Mercs and Lexus.

Took a look at the light assembly area and began scratching my head.? There doesn't seem to be enough space in the area to even remove the plastic protective covering behind the xenon bulbs.? Does one need to remove the complete light assembly to do so?

i think bmw xenon's looks the best compare to any other cars with xenon's, you can always tell if a bmw is driving behind you
Old 12-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by VaSh9394' date='Dec 17 2004, 02:05 PM
[quote name='Edlee' date='Dec 3 2004, 11:45 AM']Hi guys.? Need some instructions on how to replace the xenon bulbs on my E60 545.? I don't really like the color of the original factory fitted bulbs and so intend to switch the bulbs to the 6000K Philips xenons which are whiter and more agressive looking - much like those on the Mercs and Lexus.

i think bmw xenon's looks the best compare to any other cars with xenon's, you can always tell if a bmw is driving behind you
[snapback]70039[/snapback]
[/quote]Ditto... Yup, when there's a bimmer up your @ss, you move the hell out.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545I SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic 7 Pkg, Sport Pkg, BMW Nav Pkg, HUD Pkg, Gargo Liner.

Gonna love those bmw trade mark xenon when they hit you at the right angle damn are they bright

Quick Reply: XENON BULB REPLACEMENT