E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wiring Angel Eyes to come on with DRL or instead of DRL on pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

The Mycarr angel eyes I purchased came with two sets of positive and ground leads.

I was wondering if you either spliced the second set power leads from the AE's into the power for the DRL's (high beams) or actually disconnected the DRL's and used the leads from that to power the second lead on the AE's (using a diode to ensure proper current flow in both cases), would you effectively get the AE's to turn on whenever the DRL's were on and also maintain regular operation with the headlights.

The only question is if the MyCarr AE's will light from the reduced voltage of the DRL's. I'm guessing a relay may be required instead of the diode but then you have to find a 12V source in the head light housing.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530Xi -All wheel Drive: Black Sapphire Metallic: Premium-Package/ Cold Weather Package- w Navigation - Adaptive Xenon Headlights/ 19' Miro CSL's w Exclaim UHP Tires- AFE Cold Air Intake AC Schnitzer Rear spoiler and Front lip/ Carbon fiber kidne
Model Year: 2006
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='719864' date='Nov 13 2008, 03:46 AM
The Mycarr angel eyes I purchased came with two sets of positive and ground leads.

I was wondering if you either spliced the second set power leads from the AE's into the power for the DRL's (high beams) or actually disconnected the DRL's and used the leads from that to power the second lead on the AE's (using a diode to ensure proper current flow in both cases), would you effectively get the AE's to turn on whenever the DRL's were on and also maintain regular operation with the headlights.

The only question is if the MyCarr AE's will light from the reduced voltage of the DRL's. I'm guessing a relay may be required instead of the diode but then you have to find a 12V source in the head light housing.

Any other thoughts?
Were you able to perform this mod succesfully?? I have the x5 lightning led angel eyes and plan top wire it as DRL's but wanted to know how it's done. I have an 06 5'er AWD. Please let me know how you made out. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

I wouldnlike tonknow as well