E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Winter Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

I have an '06 530i with Sport package, and with winter right around the corner, I am shopping for new winter rims to put snow tires on. I know most people "downsize" their rims for that purpose, and am just curious....if I could get my hands on an OEM set of 17" rims (Style 138) that come with the non-sport versions, would that be my best bet???

I know there are a plethora of aftermarket options, but since I will have the winter tires on for 1/2 the year here in MN, I want them to look good with the car, you know?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i M Sport Model (manual), jet black, auburn Dakota leather, aluminium cube interior trim, anthracite headlining, De-chroming, M Original mirrors, M L/Alloy wheels Rims M6 Style 167: front 8,5*19, back 9,5*19. Tyres Goodyear F1-GS D3: front 245/30*19, back 275/30*19 , M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic body styling, M sport suspension, sport seats, M rear spoiler, Bi Xenon headlights (incl. H/Wash), Bluetooth telephone with Siemens S65 phone, Logic 7 HiFi system, No model description (debadged), park distance control, cup holders, rear heated seats, Cruise control, Remote Control alarm, Servotronic steering, smoking package, Through load system, trailer clutch, ski bag. Delivered April 15, 2005.

I think you shoul buy 18" rims and use them as summer weels and use the existing 17" as winter tires.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

There are some nice looking aftermarket wheels, some designed to look OEM. I got a set from TireRack - one of hte recomended setups after you enter your car info. Some here suggest using only OEM for quality reasons, especially with the suspension/handling of BMW's being so presice. I had no problems with mine, however, and saved alot of money over the OEM.

My set up is as follows:

4 17x7.5 ASA JH3 Silver In Stock $129.00 $516.00
4 225/50VR-17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 XL In Stock $153.00 $612.00

You can do a search and there are many threads on the issue.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

This is (was) my setup for the winter and it served me well. I have less than 200 miles on these tires and wheel pkg. I will be putting them up on ebay during the winter months to minimize my loss. I have already taken a big hit on my 2005 BMW 545i when I traded it in. I hope to get $1500 for them (Maybe delusional because I miss the 545i but not the trips to dealer).

OEM Wheels

Bridgestone Blizzaks

The BMW OEM wheels are nice. and I went with the Bridgestone Blizzaks not because I was looking for performance in winter ( well maybe I was <_< )but to match tires that will hold up better during handling manuvers the car will be capable of on those occassional non snowy winter days.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Jannek' date='Aug 26 2005, 10:33 PM
I think you shoul buy 18" rims and use them as summer weels and use the existing 17" as winter tires.
[snapback]163770[/snapback]
I agree on this!

Use original BMW wheels.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Big Jim' date='Aug 15 2005, 07:23 PM
I have an '06 530i with Sport package, and with winter right around the corner, I am shopping for new winter rims to put snow tires on.? I know most people "downsize" their rims for that purpose, and am just curious....if I could get my hands on an OEM set of 17" rims (Style 138) that come with the non-sport versions, would that be my best bet???

I know there are a plethora of aftermarket options, but since I will have the winter tires on for 1/2 the year here in MN, I want them to look good with the car, you know?
[snapback]159634[/snapback]
Big Jim,

Hey, winter starts in September in Mpls and ends when "road work" begins....right : )??
Old 08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i - ordered in January delivered April 21st! Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple.

I searched for used BMW rims but people are asking so much for them. The best solution I found was going with a Tirerack package.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Oaktree' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:02 PM
I searched for used BMW rims but people are asking so much for them.? The best solution I found was going with a Tirerack package.
[snapback]164099[/snapback]
Absolutely go with a package from Tirerack. Been buying packages from them for over 20 years - they are terrific. Talk to someone on the phone first, and tell them what you're looking for - they'll set you up with the best package.

BMW OEM rims are way, way too expensive. Much better rims are available from the same (BBS) manufacturer that makes the rims for BMW, but at a lower price, or higher quality for the same price.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I stayed with 18" and went with BBS RK's 18"x8.5" with Pilot Alpins. A little overkill ($$/light weight) for a winter setup but they look really good (at least I think so)!
Old 08-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Originally Posted by joneill' date='Aug 27 2005, 03:31 PM
[quote name='Big Jim' date='Aug 15 2005, 07:23 PM']I have an '06 530i with Sport package, and with winter right around the corner, I am shopping for new winter rims to put snow tires on.? I know most people "downsize" their rims for that purpose, and am just curious....if I could get my hands on an OEM set of 17" rims (Style 138) that come with the non-sport versions, would that be my best bet???

[snapback]159634[/snapback]
Big Jim,

Hey, winter starts in September in Mpls and ends when "road work" begins....right : )??
[snapback]164091[/snapback]
[/quote]

You got that right!!!

I actually just bought my 17" style 138 rims on eBay. Yes, it made me nervous, but eBay's buyer protection program took the edge off. I received them last week, and they were as advertised, in perfect shape. Flawless, actually. Seller had just bought a new e60 (525) and swapped the 138's out for chrome rims the day after delivery. Although they were a bit more than some of the tirerack.com rims, the total price including shipping was only marginally higher than the tirereack rims I was looking at. And much less than full retail. I'll be taking the 18's off when the first serious snow flies.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Now, as mentioned in another post, I am torn netween dunlop SP winter sport M3's and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's for the tires. I am leaning toward Dunlop today, and input would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Winter Rims