E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Curious if any of you have had a windshield replaced using an OEM BMW glass? I have a nasty rock chip in my windshield that has a small run starting and it's possible that it could be filled, but in SC we have free glass replacement. I'm trying to find out if you have the glass changed do you have a choice of getting the BMW glass or are you stuck with the aftermarket glass. Maybe one can go back with OEM if they pay the difference in cost? Wasn't sure and haven't placed a call to insurance company yet. I have USAA.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Curious if any of you have had a windshield replaced using an OEM BMW glass? I have a nasty rock chip in my windshield that has a small run starting and it's possible that it could be filled, but in SC we have free glass replacement. I'm trying to find out if you have the glass changed do you have a choice of getting the BMW glass or are you stuck with the aftermarket glass. Maybe one can go back with OEM if they pay the difference in cost? Wasn't sure and haven't placed a call to insurance company yet. I have USAA.
Not sure they replace with OEM, but USAA is great to work with and should be able to answer that question. In SC the crack has to be biger than a "dollar bill" for replacement. If its smaller, they may have a contractor do the appoxy injection to fill the chip. The glass they (im USAA too) replaced in my truck matched exactly what I had, tint across the top and everything.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

most aftermarket glass make OEM glass anyway. It's how it's installed that makes a difference. They need to use a lot of caulk to set it right. But, if you want that black BMW logo etched in your glass then you have to ask for OEM and pay more for that logo
Old 08-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

The important thing is the rain sensor for the automatic wipers. Removing your old one and attaching it to the new one will not work. The glass needs to be ordered with the proper part number with the sensor attached at the factory.

Also of course if you have HUD you need the proper windshield for that.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
The insurance premiums you pay to USAA or any other insurance company is based on many factors - INCLUDING the cost of repairs to your car. In my opinion if USAA was charging you "generic" premiums (a'la stripped Ford Focus prices) then they could go to Walmart and buy plastic wrap and bubble gum to replace your windshield. Get the level of service you pay premiums for - NOTHING LESS!

As for windshield replacement, there are 2-3 major companies in the United States that make auto glass and they make it to a manufacturer's specifications (BMW, GM, Toyota, etc). Doing anything less could expose them to HUGE liability risks.

So, if glass is glass it comes down to installation - Windshields are a structural component and must be installed properly with the correct adhesives or problems could be numerous - noise, leaks, etc etc etc. For that I'd only use a "BMW Qualified" installer - NOT a shop that might do 5-6 BMW windshields a year.

That's my 10 cents worth - Good luck
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i

I had mine replaced about 7 months back and I used Safelite. They were going to replace it with after market glass and I asked if OEM could be used and they said sure. I'm picky, so having the BMW emblem on the glass is something I wanted. The guy they sent me was the "BMW GUY" for them so he did a great job and you can't even notice it was replaced.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

hi
i want to go OEM...but i want to ask u guys..what part number is this type of glass???

[attachment=172959:md_bmw-e60-m5-(4).jpg]

[attachment=172960:IMG_2254_resize.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Replacement-md_bmw-e60-m5-4-.jpg   Windshield Replacement-img_2254_resize.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The windsheild above is the one I have. They replaced mine with an infrared M5 windsheild. It was made by Pilkington...which is an OE maker. But I do not have the BMW sign so it's considered after market. No complaints! I had a BMW installer come to my home and do it. Insurance paid 100% $975
I can look at the receipt later for part #
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The windsheild above is the one I have. They replaced mine with an infrared M5 windsheild. It was made by Pilkington...which is an OE maker. But I do not have the BMW sign so it's considered after market. No complaints! I had a BMW installer come to my home and do it. Insurance paid 100% $975
I can look at the receipt later for part #
Do you also have green wheels??? Ha! I just remember an old M3 I had when the glass was replaced it was non oem. There was a visible offset that I didn't like and the glass seemed to pit very fast compared to the original glass that I had. The offset was operator error I'm sure.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my windshield recently replace with OEM part because i didn't want to risk the rain sensor that working properly. my insurance paid all but my $100 deductible (it took a few phone calls to have them pay for OEM)

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement