E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Windshield.....destroyed.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it finally happened. A massive rock smacked into my windshield while on the freeway and instantaneously cracked it. No chance for repair. Full replacement.

Saw some past posts on how much the cost would be and was hoping some ppl had luck with a cheaper, yet still high quality solution in the Orange County Area.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

Your insurance won't cover it? I had to replace mine out here a few weeks ago and my insurance had a deal with SAFElite window repair, and they replaced it. I had no deductible or anything to pay. job was complete in an hour. Good as new.

GL
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

if you get brand new glass it can be up to $700+ just for the front windsheild....before installation prices depending on what options your car has. try to go thru ur insurance for replacement, most policies have a glass only clause that will help u w/o having to pay ur deductible...

call a few glass shops though, when i had mine replaced i called 5 shops and got totally different prices....some as high as $2k but i think some try to take advantage thinking that since you drive a fancy bmw you have money to burn.

good luck tho man!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the chang
So it finally happened. A massive rock smacked into my windshield while on the freeway and instantaneously cracked it. No chance for repair. Full replacement.

Saw some past posts on how much the cost would be and was hoping some ppl had luck with a cheaper, yet still high quality solution in the Orange County Area.

Thanks in advance!
That sux ... if it were my 3 yr old BMW I'd go to my dealer because they do glass work in house. Some aren't equipped and will charge you for BMW glass + BMW labor but have an indy glass shop to do the work.

I'm sure you are aware that many of the posts about more expensive glass replacement are usually for cars with HUD. That said, in my opinion the 2-3 major auto glass suppliers produce glass equal or sometimes superior in quality to "BMW" glass. The stamp on the windshield doesn't automatically and necessarily mean BMW "made" the windshield - it's manufactured by suppliers for BMW to BMW specs.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by umichchris
call a few glass shops though, when i had mine replaced i called 5 shops and got totally different prices....some as high as $2k but i think some try to take advantage thinking that since you drive a fancy bmw you have money to burn.
lolz at the 2k. Even you you had a HUD display that price doesn't make sense. I think I would've told "Sure setup an appointment." and left them hanging.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

oh yeah, i forgot all about the HUD for the newer models....smh :thumbsdown:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by John516
Your insurance won't cover it? I had to replace mine out here a few weeks ago and my insurance had a deal with SAFElite window repair, and they replaced it. I had no deductible or anything to pay. job was complete in an hour. Good as new.

GL
I had the same experience with Safelite. They came to my job and replaced my non HUD windshield right in the parking lot in about 1-2 hours.
This was over 3 years ago and I have had no issues.
I think the bill was around $600, can't really remember, but I paid nothing out of pocket since I had glass coverage with a zero deductible.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by jgt
lolz at the 2k. Even you you had a HUD display that price doesn't make sense. I think I would've told "Sure setup an appointment." and left them hanging.

You'd be surprised. When mine cracked the dealer quoted me $1450 - and I don't have HUD. I ended up going with a company in OC and got mine replaced while I was at work for $550, using BMW OEM glass no less. Too bad I don't remember the name of the company I used, it was 3 years ago.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

if you arent going thru the insurance company.... you can easily go to a local junkard and get used glass (if you can transport it) and then pay like $100 to have it installed. total out of pocket could be as low as $300...esp if you dont have the HUD option....
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the replies and info everyone. I called a few places and $525 was lowest for BBG (OEM w/o the BMW stamp) glass. Definitely will call All State and see if this is covered.

Thanks!