E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Window Tinting on E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just talked to my dealer and a local tint-shop about getting the windows tinted on my E60. The delaer claims I should be careful since some people have reported radio interference or their remote key not working properly after they had their windows tinted. The tint-shop, of course, claims that's all bogus and they've never heard of a problem like that.

So, my question is, have you guys heard of any problems with window tinting and if so, what was it. The tint-shop told me that they use "the best" tint (of course it's the best, if they carry it ) and it contains something called "metal-flakes" -- that doesn't mean much to me but if someone has any insight into if that's good or not I'd appreciate some feedback on that.

I saw a lot of people on this board refer to Huper Optik tint -- what's so special about that one and why is it better than the one that the tint-shop told me about?

Any suggestions/answers would be appreciated -- thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
JDN
Contributors

Huper Optik is ceramic based rather than metallic based. If window tint affects radio reception, it is usually metallic tint.Huper Optik Specs
Old 08-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 18 2004, 06:22 PM
Huper Optik is ceramic based rather than metallic based. If window tint affects radio reception, it is usually metallic tint
Thanks, JDN. Any idea if any tint-shop can order Huper Optik or is this only available in Texas? I saw you're from Texas and the Huper Optik spec had a Texas address as well.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributors

RH530, you can fill out the web information on the Huper Optik website, and then they/someone will contact you with local dealer/installer.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CRRobert' date='Aug 18 2004, 08:09 PM
RH530, you can fill out the web information on the Huper Optik website, and then they/someone will contact you with local dealer/installer.
Great, thanks -- I'll give that a shot. We'll find out if someone in my neck of the woods installs Huper Optik.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

There is also standard 'non-metallic' tint. I had a problem finding Huper Optik in my area, and am very happy with the tinting I got. Just ask your tinting place to install non-metallic tint.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
JDN
Contributors

A couple of additional advantages of Huper Optik are the 61% heat reduction and the lifetime warranty.

On the downside, it is slow to heal all of the blisters after installation. Mine took a month to clear up -- perfect now. The installer warned me before hand. I sure didn't think it would ever be right, but one fine day it was as it should be.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

I have heard that the Huper Optik ceramic is a little difficult to apply so make sure the installer has some experience with it and with doing installations on E60's as well .
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 AM
Contributors

I filled out the form on their website, and a dealer in the area contacted me within a day. I was quoted $400 for the install(I was quoted $275 from someone else for 'normal' tint..)

I'm going to do it ( I've just got to figure out a way to do it without my wife knowing how much it costs...)

james
Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Members

To all of you who have tints :

I'm seriously exploring Huper Optik to reduce bleaching of the leather by the sunlight. Do any of you experience any problems of squeaking windows due to increased resistance (the film increases the window thickness) when opening/ closing windows ?

What other problems (if any) do you face ?

Amethyst

Quick Reply: Window Tinting on E60