E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Window Tint - Solar Guard or Formula One Pinnacle

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

I have been searching the threads for a few days now, trying to figure out what type of window tint I should get. My local BMW dealer uses a shop that sells Solar Guard and Solar Tech. They quoted $169 to tint my windows with 50% Solar Guard.

I have read the posts and people feel Ceramic is the only way to go because of the non-metal. Huber Optik is not sold locally, but I did find a dealer about an hour away that installs Formula One Pinnacle. His price is $480.

That's a huge difference to me, but if the Solar Guard is going to cause problems with my Navigation & iPod & Bluetooth, then that would be money down the drain.

BTW, 50% is the law in OH, and I am not interested in getting stopped by the police, although the Solar Guard installer said that more people in OH choose 35% over 50%. Installing on a Jet Black 550i.

Opinions please?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Members

I also had those two options available to me and I went with the Pinnacle Ceramic Tint. Our laws are the same as yours, 50% and I put on 35%, have never had any issues with the cops and 35% here in MN. My pricing was much better than yours...$360, not $480. I don't think you'll have any interference with the solar guard though. But I tell you this, I had the solar guard in my old honda and the Pinnacle on my bimmer and there is a huge difference. The ceramic tint is so clear, I think I said this in another thread, but the comparison is like looking through a cheap pair of sunglasses with the solar guard and a nice pair of Oakleys with the ceramic, the clarity is exceptional with the Pinnacle Series.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='766852' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:13 AM
I also had those two options available to me and I went with the Pinnacle Ceramic Tint. Our laws are the same as yours, 50% and I put on 35%, have never had any issues with the cops and 35% here in MN. My pricing was much better than yours...$360, not $480. I don't think you'll have any interference with the solar guard though. But I tell you this, I had the solar guard in my old honda and the Pinnacle on my bimmer and there is a huge difference. The ceramic tint is so clear, I think I said this in another thread, but the comparison is like looking through a cheap pair of sunglasses with the solar guard and a nice pair of Oakleys with the ceramic, the clarity is exceptional with the Pinnacle Series.

I agree, ceramic tint is the way to go, especially for a Bimmer. maybe you can settle for solar guard on a Civic. Metallic tint will interfere with AM reception. Ceramic tint should also block heat better.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Premium, Nav, Ipod

I have a Formula One Ceramic Tint 35% all around. Paid $380. If you thinking 50% tint, better don't do any tint, because 35% itself is very light.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

I've researched this as well, and here is what I have found. Ceramic tint is great if you are interested in blocking out radiant heat. If that's not an issue, then any non-metallic tint should work fine. There are several manufacturers to choose from such as Llumar, Johnson, Madico, 3M, etc. Look at each and pick the one with the best color. 35% tint is not the same across the board. Some will look more smoky than others, and some will have a pinkish hue. I looked at some last week side by side at a local tint shop in Seattle. Ceramic is VERY expensive, much more thick, and will keep your car cooler, but for appearance and privacy it's not different than non-metallic tinting film. Just make sure you select non-metallic film to avoid idrive and radio interference. Use the extra money for other stuff like angel eyes or license plate LED's. Good luck and post up pics when you're done!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

I have Solar Guard on my bmw and I have had no problems. The installer waranteed it for the life of my car.
I had 38% tint installed (except for windshield) - and RI law prohibits ANY aftermarket tinting on sedans.
No problems with Sat or bluetooth either. It was the first mod I did to my car.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Thanks for the opinions.

I contacted the Formula One dealer, and he did say that they have five different options under the Formula One brand, prices ranging from $190 to $480. The fact that the local BMW dealership uses the low priced guy gives me a some comfort, but when I visited his shop, it was a little scarey. The Formula One dealer seems much more professional. While OH law is 50%, he also said they recommend anywhere between 35% to 40%, and have choices in 5% increments. So, now I am thinking 35% or 40%.

I am not interested in heat resistance in OH, maybe except in August. I am more interested in the appearance of the car.

I think it's worth a trip to check out his samples. I am also going to mention that fellow forum members paid undere $400 for their Pinnacle.

Keep those opinions coming.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Contributors

I contacted the Formula One tint shop next on the list nearest to me. Happens to be 2 hours away, but that's okay because I have family there. Anyway, they want $399 for Pinnacle, which is $80 less than the installer closest to me. The owner indicated that he has Pinnacle on his vehicle, of course, but did say that the Classic line, which is the lowest line of Formula One's is non-metallic too, and would not interfere with electronics. $199 for Classic or $399 for Pinnacle. My choice. Has anyone seen both of these installed, and can you tell the difference. I am not interested in heat protection, as much as appearance.

He also said that since I have Auburn interior that 35% tint would look the same as a car with Black interior with 50% tint. Agree?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

There is some truth to what he is saying. The color of the interior does effect the tint. A darker color interior for example would make the tint appear to be slightly darker for a similar car that would have a lighter color interior. If you're going to tint, I suggest at least 35%. I plan on tinting my car very soon and I am going to select a 20% non metallic tint. Keeping down the temperatures in my car is not a major concern. I mostly like the tint for added privacy and the look. Most tint shops (if reputable) will guarantee their labor for life, and guarantee the tint does not lose or change color for life also. If the tint bubbles, peals, cracks, has dust trapped underneath when installed etc., the shop should take car of it with no hassles. That's pretty standard around here (Seattle). Look at the various tint films in natural and flourescent lighting conditions and pick the one you like most keeping in mind your interior color and paint color. Having the job done by a skilled and experienced tinter is more important I think. $400 dollars for tint seems really expensive. I was quoted $150.00 from a high end tint shop in Seattle. I get to select the tint, they offer several tint film manufacturers I can select from, and it's done in a day with a loaner car. Shop around.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by BMW535' post='766908' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:26 PM
I have a Formula One Ceramic Tint 35% all around. Paid $380. If you thinking 50% tint, better don't do any tint, because 35% itself is very light.
I have to disagree on the 50% don't do it.... I have 50% on the sides and love it for the protection reasons: supposedly F1 Ceramic is more efficient at blocking heat and uv light so if your'e tinting for this reason go for it! If you like the darker look 35% aint bad either but with black int it will look dark.

Quick Reply: Window Tint - Solar Guard or Formula One Pinnacle