E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered my new 535i Sport and wanted advice on window tint. My dealer carries Llumar Tint, and I wanted to know which type I should get and how dark I should go.

My car is Black Sapphire on Natural Brown. I'm debating whether to do 20%, 30% or 35%. I'm also considering doing the rear window darker - so 20% on the rear window, and maybe 35% on the rest. Any pics would be REALLY helpful.

Additionally which type of Llumar Tint should I get, I'm torn between the AXCESS tint and the PLATINUM PLUS. Any advice or pics would be welcome. I don't have NAV, but I do have a V1 Radar Detector, Bluetooth and Sirrius.

Thanks!
Matt.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

to the forum!

I would do 20% all around. One lighter than LIMO tint. I also have the V1 and it still works GREAT!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i have 35% all around. not too light and not too dark.

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation IPod Adapter Fold Down Rear Seats Clear Bra 35% Window Tint

35% all around!
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint Question-bmw_550i_018.jpg  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Llumar Tint is good, but it's predominately used for commercial and residential window tinting. My advice is go for FormulaOne Tint, which is Llumar's upscale brand for automobiles only. There is no other tint other than Formula1 that have specific tint just for cars. Advantages? One of the advantages is the film is thinner. That means it looks better on cars, easier to apply (less installer error), and less dot matrix problems. Most installer have problems with dot matrix anyways and it's almost impossible to get it perfect.. so don't expect it to look 100% fantastic.

Also with tint, you have to buy one that doesn't have any metal in the film. Metal in the film will screw up your navigation, FM, and AM radio. Dyed or ceramic (pricey) is the best way to go. ALWAYS ASK if the tint is navi okay. Expect to pay $200-300 for installed for dyed. For ceramic, expected 300-500 installed. Ceramic is best type of tint because the color is richer and it blocks more UV. Dyed film blocks like 20%? of UV, while ceramic is 50%. Keeps your black leather nice and cool on a hot summer day!

Another brand to consider is Huper Optic. This is more popular Ceramic brand and it's a bit more expensive. I personally think FormulaOne is superior to Huper and the only reason why Formula1 is not that well known is they only sell their film to authorize distributors... meaning less installers. Huper is still a great tint tho and you should consider it if you decide not to go with Formula1.

I've sported Madico, HuperOptic, and Formula One. I find the best results out of Formula1 and it's the only one I use now. Most show cars use Formula 1 or Huper. Madico is hazy and uv blocking is useless. If you want the very best setup, go with Formula 1 Pinnacle (ceramic). I have it on my cars and it's friggin amazing.

Now tint percentage. I personally think 20% in the backseat windows and 35% in the front looks weird. No offense to people with it. The clean classy look would be 20% in the rear windshield and 35% on the sides. I had that on my 5 series and it's very clean. Very classy. You won't get bothered by cops. 20% in the rear is important because it's a big window and if you get 35% in the rear, more light comes in the car, making ur side windows that are 35% turn into like 45%.

20% all around is the best if you don't want to be seen and you don't like it completely black like limo. If someone looks at your car, they can see the shape of the driver, but you won't be recognized. I personally think 20% is too dark since running it in my Cayenne. I sometimes can't see my side mirrors at night. But you can't beat the privacy! I can pick my nose and no1 would see!

For Formula Tint, hit up HB Tint Pros in Huntington Beach. Talk to Greg or Lonnie and tell him the asian Mike in the White M3 sent you.
For Huper, hit up Sal @ Perfect Window Tint in Costa Mesa.
For Madico, hit up Rich's Tint in Walnut.
(for the california folks)

Good luck! Who knew there was so much info about tint!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='554534' date='Apr 1 2008, 06:35 PM
+1 (don't have tinted windows myself tho)

point your mouse to the upper right corner and try the search feature as well, this topic has been discussed/debated by other members as well....

and to the forum. Post your location in your prof if you feel like sharing that. Local members might be able to refer you to a place or two....
Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='554534' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:35 PM
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Check my gallery, my 5-series has 35% on the sides and 20% on the rears. You notice its a little darker than people with 35% all around.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='554560' date='Apr 1 2008, 07:08 PM
I've sported Madico, HuperOptic, and Formula One. I find the best results out of Formula1 and it's the only one I use now. Most show cars use Formula 1 or Huper. Madico is hazy and uv blocking is useless. If you want the very best setup, go with Formula 1 Pinnacle (ceramic). I have it on my cars and it's friggin amazing.
Formula One is the only tint I have ever used. Was on my 545i, now on my E63.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

How dark you can go totally depends where you live. AZ, Nevada...seems like you go as dark as you want and not be harrassed by the law. I agree, it looks a lot better to have the 2 side windows with the same percentage.

I had 35% on the 2 sides of my 330i with 15% rear window and always felt like I was rolling the dice on being pulled over. On my 550i I went with 50% on both front and rear sides which is pretty light but at least I'm getting some UV protection and with 15% on the rear darkens the whole interior another 3-5%. Formula one is all I have ever had on any car.
Sorry for the pic quality...starting to rain here!
Window Tint Question-550_side_window.jpg
Window Tint Question-550_rear_window.jpg

Quick Reply: Window Tint Question