E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Will an X-Pipe serve any purpose if installed between the OEM resonato

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I know that an X-Pipe will "balance out" the flow and the sound, add some backpressure (good for low end torque), and will probably reduce droning to a degree, but I've only seen it installed in cases where the resonators have been removed. I have also heard that the X-Pipe can change the "character" of the sound. I think Joe (vegastrashed) mentioned that he didn't like the unbalanced muscle car sound of his AMG E63, but installing an X-Pipe changed the "character" of the sound from a muscle car sound to a more balanced sound like his 545 with the RD Sport exhaust.

I have the Remus quads (for the I6's) installed on my 545 and I really do like the sound a lot....it is deep yet civilized, yet I do have a little bit of droning....which I have and can easily live with. However, I was just wondering how an X-Pipe might affect the sound character and/or the slight droning on my car. For those that don't know, the Remus quad is a single muffler on the left side with a pipe coming out of it and running to the right side. Therefore, it only replaces the OEM muffler while leaving all three resonators in place. If I were to have an X-Pipe installed in between the front tube resonators and the center box resonator what would your guess be as to how it may affect the sound/droning/low end torque? Would the X-Pipe have the same affect as it does on cars with all resonators removed and replaced by the X-Pipe or would it be less noticeable?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I think you'd be the first person to try that type of setup Rody. Only one way to find out!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='528209' date='Feb 6 2008, 07:48 PM
So I know that an X-Pipe will "balance out" the flow and the sound, add some backpressure (good for low end torque), and will probably reduce droning to a degree, but I've only seen it installed in cases where the resonators have been removed. I have also heard that the X-Pipe can change the "character" of the sound. I think Joe (vegastrashed) mentioned that he didn't like the unbalanced muscle car sound of his AMG E63, but installing an X-Pipe changed the "character" of the sound from a muscle car sound to a more balanced sound like his 545 with the RD Sport exhaust.

I have the Remus quads (for the I6's) installed on my 545 and I really do like the sound a lot....it is deep yet civilized, yet I do have a little bit of droning....which I have and can easily live with. However, I was just wondering how an X-Pipe might affect the sound character and/or the slight droning on my car. For those that don't know, the Remus quad is a single muffler on the left side with a pipe coming out of it and running to the right side. Therefore, it only replaces the OEM muffler while leaving all three resonators in place. If I were to have an X-Pipe installed in between the front tube resonators and the center box resonator what would your guess be as to how it may affect the sound/droning/low end torque? Would the X-Pipe have the same affect as it does on cars with all resonators removed and replaced by the X-Pipe or would it be less noticeable?
X-pipe, like h-pipe, are used in very high performance engine to balance the exhaust pressure from both headers to gain additional hp. Some pros have found that it helps with sound level reduction of 1 to 2 decibels. Do a search on the web by typing in "x-pipe design vs. h-pipe" and you'll sell that some have backed the x-pipe with dyno test.

In your situation, your center resonator box "y" into a 3" tubing/pipe. In a way, it balances the exhaust gas pressure similar to an x-pipe (think of fluid dynamics 101) on a simplistic level. So, adding an x-pipe to yor current Remus configuration probably won't do much except change the volume of pressurized gas. The performance of an x-pipe on a 545i may produce 1 or 2 added HP. As for the sound affects, if will probably help with 1 to 2 decibels less droning since x-pipe are known for raspy while h-pipe is for low muscle car. Nascar uses x-pipes. Like I told VT in the thread below, muscle car sound usually comes from chambered mufflers (like flowmaster), which I think his AMG mufflers are chambered with few packings. In any case, if you can hear that difference and the cost is right, then it's money well spent.

Look at my undercarriage video.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50282&st=0

The reason I used the x-pipe between my 2 resonators right before the center box resonator is because I have 2 separate exhaust path - 1 for each header. The x-pipe crosses the 2 paths. I could probably use an h-pipe too, but x-pipe is the latest discovery and I didn't want more "low frequencies" than what I already am suffering from.

By the way, where does your Remus drone level fall based on my stuffed muffler and straight-through videos?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528276
Rody,
Please post a pic of the undercarriage of your 545i. Visuals help a lot!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528276' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:18 PM
X-pipe, like h-pipe, are used in very high performance engine to balance the exhaust pressure from both headers to gain additional hp. Some pros have found that it helps with sound level reduction of 1 to 2 decibels. Do a search on the web by typing in "x-pipe design vs. h-pipe" and you'll sell that some have backed the x-pipe with dyno test.

In your situation, your center resonator box "y" into a 3" tubing/pipe. In a way, it balances the exhaust gas pressure similar to an x-pipe (think of fluid dynamics 101) on a simplistic level. So, adding an x-pipe to yor current Remus configuration probably won't do much except change the volume of pressurized gas. The performance of an x-pipe on a 545i may produce 1 or 2 added HP. As for the sound affects, if will probably help with 1 to 2 decibels less droning since x-pipe are known for raspy while h-pipe is for low muscle car. Nascar uses x-pipes. Like I told VT in the thread below, muscle car sound usually comes from chambered mufflers (like flowmaster), which I think his AMG mufflers are chambered with few packings. In any case, if you can hear that difference and the cost is right, then it's money well spent.

Look at my undercarriage video.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50282&st=0

The reason I used the x-pipe between my 2 resonators right before the center box resonator is because I have 2 separate exhaust path - 1 for each header. The x-pipe crosses the 2 paths. I could probably use an h-pipe too, but x-pipe is the latest discovery and I didn't want more "low frequencies" than what I already am suffering from.

By the way, where does your Remus drone level fall based on my stuffed muffler and straight-through videos?
Thanks for your reply. As you mentioned the center box resonator does act as a Y-Pipe, which is the main reason for my asking this question. Basically what affect would an X-Pipe followed by a Y-Pipe have? I may try it out just for the heck of it, but I'm a little worried about your comment that X-pipes are known for raspy sounds. I don't like raspy/tinny sounds like the Eisenmann Race exhaust for the 545......but I guess Joe's RD Sport on his 545 had an X-Pipe too but it did not sound raspy.

To be honest I can't hear much on my laptop speakers, but I'll try to remember to listen to your clips on my work computer tomorrow (which has much better speakers) and I'll post my opinion on where the Remus droning fits compared to your clips.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='528283' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:43 PM
Rody,
Please post a pic of the undercarriage of your 545i. Visuals help a lot!
Joe.......I don't have a pic of the undercarriage, but next time it's on a lift I'll take a pic.

The current setup is stock all the way to the muffler, which means headers+cats, tube resonators and box resonator. After that it's just the Remus muffler on the left side and a pipe that runs from the rear of the muffler to the right tips.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by rodybmw' post='528312' date='Feb 7 2008, 03:11 AM
Thanks for your reply. As you mentioned the center box resonator does act as a Y-Pipe, which is the main reason for my asking this question. Basically what affect would an X-Pipe followed by a Y-Pipe have? I may try it out just for the heck of it, but I'm a little worried about your comment that X-pipes are known for raspy sounds. I don't like raspy/tinny sounds like the Eisenmann Race exhaust for the 545......but I guess Joe's RD Sport on his 545 had an X-Pipe too but it did not sound raspy.

To be honest I can't hear much on my laptop speakers, but I'll try to remember to listen to your clips on my work computer tomorrow (which has much better speakers) and I'll post my opinion on where the Remus droning fits compared to your clips.
The x-pipes won't give you that much of a raspy sound since your Remus muffler (straight through assuming) are producing the "rumble" sound. It's like a mix drink. Like I said, x-pipe will slightly affect your sound note if you have sensitive hears like me to hear it.

Personally, I'd spent the $150 installed on something else unless the slight drone in the Remus is getting annoying.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528276' date='Feb 6 2008, 10:18 PM
I finally listened to your clips on my work computer. I would have to say that the Remus quad's droning is less than both the straight-through exhaust and the stuffed muffler. While the droning is not a huge deal lower than the stuffed muffler, it's still noticeably lower. Of coarse, I can't be a 100% accurate in my estimation since it does depend (to a degree) on the volume setting of the speakers when I listen to the clips.

It's interesting that when I listened to your clips on the tiny speakers of my laptop there was no droning at all, but on my work computer with the sub woofer I could both hear the droning and feel the vibrations of the droning as if I were sitting in the car. This just confirms that droning is a low frequency issue and the laptop's speakers are not able to produce low frequencies.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='528276' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:18 AM
In your situation, your center resonator box "y" into a 3" tubing/pipe. In a way, it balances the exhaust gas pressure similar to an x-pipe (think of fluid dynamics 101) on a simplistic level. So, adding an x-pipe to yor current Remus configuration probably won't do much except change the volume of pressurized gas.
I agree with this as well..
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Thanks for your opinions guys