E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Will upgrading to 18" from 16"

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE 16" RIMS ON MY 520i. it is 2.2L I6. im planning to buy 124s but i live in a country with plenty of rocky roads and holes. will affect my performance when i go up-hill and down-hill or stright. acceleration???

how about comfort? will i feel a big difference? what do u guys suggest?

im going from

front: 225/55 to 245/40

read: 225/55 to 275/35

WHT do u guys suggest?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Probably will help the handling with the wider tires, but the additional weight of the 124s and the width would theoretically slow it down a little, rather you can feel it is another story.
The OEM 18" and RFT from what I heard could be heavy and stiff, you may lose a little comfort. If I were you I would buy some aftermarket lightweight 18" or 19". I went from 17" to 19" and the comfort changes a little, but it's definitely tolerable.

Let see if someone else who is in your same situation replies. Btw, there's a 2.2L I6?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If comfort is what you're after you're on the best set of wheels, the 16s non RFT are the best. They look pants but you didnt say you were after looks. Also if the roads are not good then I'd stay with the 16s, anything more and you'll notice the different pretty quickly. And for heavens sake stay away from the RFT because you'll really kick yourself for spending all that money for absolutely no ride quality at all.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='558700' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:36 PM
If comfort is what you're after you're on the best set of wheels, the 16s non RFT are the best.
+1
Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='558475' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:15 AM
I HAVE 16" RIMS ON MY 520i. it is 2.2L I6. im planning to buy 124s but i live in a country with plenty of rocky roads and holes. will affect my performance when i go up-hill and down-hill or stright. acceleration???

how about comfort? will i feel a big difference? what do u guys suggest?

im going from

front: 225/55 to 245/40

read: 225/55 to 275/35

WHT do u guys suggest?
===========================

...This is me personally, but I ALWAYS try to stay with BMW OEM rims on our e60's. Now don't get me wrong, I hear from some e60 forum members, that there are some good riding and great looking aftermarket rims out there, but just know what your buying, by asking members here first at the e60 forum, before you buy your new rims, because and they can tell you some good after market BMW e60 rims and company's to buy them from.

Now for me, (LOL), before the e60 forum I bought some BMW looking 18 inch Parallel M replica rims which looked BMW great, but road like a "want-a-be-crap" rim!!! I took them to three tire store for balancing, and each tire center, and one being my local BMW service dept, and not one could balanced them right, so I took them off and purchased a set of new BMW OEM 18 inch 71 rims, and put them on, and my new e60 then, road BMW smooth again!!!

Oh I did go from a 17 inch to and 18 inch to now a 19 inch, staggered set of 166's. Now my for "2 cent worth" and more of my personal findings, (LOL): With all three different sizes and each time I went up in size, I did not notice that big much difference in my ride quality, but I did notice when I want up to the BMW OEM 166's, 19 inch to staggered set they felt more road sensitive. , and yes like most everybody here said here at the forum, they do handle in the curves better, but it is more sensitive with more rubber on the road, and I was told as I go up is tire size, always to remember the less side wall I will have, which means less protection from hit a pot holes in the road with my new larger 19 inch rim.

I live in Atlanta GA, where our roads are smooth for the most part, this month, (LOL), but I will never take my personal car tire size over an 19 inch and I WILL ALWAYS BMW OEM RIM's too, no more after market rim replicas for me!!! (LOL)

I hope this helps, and good luck in your decision on your new rims, (I like the ride and looks of my e60 M5, BMW OEM 166's and got a set now, but I can still remember how I did love the ride of my 18 inch BMW OWM 71 rims, and loved my non-staggered set of 18inch tire rotation capabilities, of: "front" to "rear" so the tires might last longer, over the aggressive cool looking staggered set of 19 inch staggered set which has to be rotated "side" to "side", that will not last as long as my 18 inch tires did!)

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley

A Picture below on my like new, 18inch BMW OEM style #71 rims, which I have two right now with two TOYO Proxie tires thats mounted on them that I am trying to see at a price of $550.00 for both right now. If you know anyone please send them my way! Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Will upgrading to 18" from 16"-069.jpg  
Old 04-12-2008, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Thank you guys for the comment. but i did go with 18" 124s and bought them from Wees75, a member here. He has factory dunlop RFTs on them, thats the downside to it, but other then that, perfect condition.

thx guys for the feedback
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='560273' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you guys for the comment. but i did go with 18" 124s and bought them from Wees75, a member here. He has factory dunlop RFTs on them, thats the downside to it, but other then that, perfect condition.

thx guys for the feedback
================================================== ===
hey bteljuice1,

The BMW OEM 124's are cool looking wheels!!! You will love the 18 inch 124's, in fact to me the 124's look like a 19, even thought their 18's! I hear their also easy to clean, which as you know is a big plus as you already prob. know with our BMW brake dust, we have to battle to keep our rims looking nice!!

You did real good on your new rims with Dunlop RFT's on them, enjoy your!!! (be sure to post pics when you get them on you Bimmer!!)

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Contributors

thx a lot presly.will do so. But the thing is that im worried about the RFTs that come with it. as ive been getting scared more and more with the comments on the RFTs. a lot are tash talking bout them.

Sorry about my above post, I MIGHT buy them from WEES75. Wednesday will know if i buy them. lots hope he agrees to discount the price a bit. Coz i might buy from someone else that i found out here in my country
Old 04-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributors

http://www.e60.net/information/optio...s/my2004_520i/

Yes the information i the engine section, ull c it. its 2.2 L I6
Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Contributors

Hey guys, does anyone know how i can delete a Post that i have posted. I was trying to return a favor to a friend. it ended up causing a problem to another.

Thx

Quick Reply: Will upgrading to 18" from 16"