E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why is my dealer so lame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i
Default Why is my dealer so lame?

I would like to retrofit my steering wheel with a sport steering wheel with paddle shifts. Ive seen the DIY somewhere so i know it can be done and i know i can do the physical myself but i am not very confident that i can accomplish the coding on my own. So, i ask two dealers in my area and they both say it cant be done, they also said the sport automatic transmission shifter cant be done as well (which is not true, ive seen the DIY for this as well) Which brings me to my question. Why do some dealers (as ive seen on other posts) happily retrofit and code certain mods for customers and why do some dealers insist on these mods cant be accomplished?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Maybe they dont want to take a risk if they cant code it right ??
Old 10-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

when I spoke with the service advisors and technicians they truly believed it couldn't be done. After I showed them the DIY instructions and the notes saying that the member got it coded properly at their dealer the SA and techs kept insisting it couldn't be done. I really don't see what the concern for the dealer would be. If for any reason they couldn't successfully code it properly then all they would have to do is reverse the process and code it back to factory specs. It's not like the dealer would be liable, I would expect In a situation like that they would make me sign a disclaimer or something, acknowledging th situation. One would think a dealer would jump at an opportunity to charge labor by the hour anyway lol. I guess it just has to do with the fact that dealers are separately owned and operated and ill have to keep looking for a mod friendly one.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

It's just not worth the effort for them.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by onetime
It's just not worth the effort for them.
This makes no sense. Their effort is paid for at the same rate as everything else.

I think it is more like any trade. You will find those that can do only what they have been told how to do and those that understand how to make things work. I imagine some dealers have a pay scale and work policy that encourages the truly talented to go somewhere else. Also, some techs and dealers only know the software BMW has given them and that software probably does not allow retrofit combinations that is not in the database of options.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

It's not worth the effort considering the possible problems they can encounter when trying to modify and/or retrofit parts on vehicles that were not originally equipped with said options. If there are problems coding or fitment issues after they said they would do the install, they are opening themselves to a world of complaints from the unsatisfied customer. Think big picture.

Last edited by onetime; 10-25-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by onetime
It's not worth the effort considering the possible problems they can encounter when trying to modify and/or retrofit parts on vehicles that were not originally equipped with said options. If there are problems coding or fitment issues after they said they would do the install, they are opening themselves to a world of complaints from the unsatisfied customer. Think big picture.
agreed, not to mention in this litigation happy society it's just easier to not take that chance..

to the OP:
that being said, you should be able to find an independent shop that can code this for you...

check with alekshop, they are local to you, if they can't do it I'm sure they can refer you to someone that can...

good luck
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by epilithic
I would like to retrofit my steering wheel with a sport steering wheel with paddle shifts. Ive seen the DIY somewhere so i know it can be done and i know i can do the physical myself but i am not very confident that i can accomplish the coding on my own. So, i ask two dealers in my area and they both say it cant be done, they also said the sport automatic transmission shifter cant be done as well (which is not true, ive seen the DIY for this as well) Which brings me to my question. Why do some dealers (as ive seen on other posts) happily retrofit and code certain mods for customers and why do some dealers insist on these mods cant be accomplished?
I don't think there's coding involved for retrofitting the steering wheel with paddle shifters. I did mine without any coding.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by b00sted415
I don't think there's coding involved for retrofitting the steering wheel with paddle shifters. I did mine without any coding.
That's good to know. I do know there's coding involved with the SAT shifter so ill more than likely take it to an Indy shop. I downloaded and successfully installed INPA, EDIABAS, and NCSExpert but still have lots of reading to accomplish before I attempt any coding.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by epilithic
That's good to know. I do know there's coding involved with the SAT shifter so ill more than likely take it to an Indy shop. I downloaded and successfully installed INPA, EDIABAS, and NCSExpert but still have lots of reading to accomplish before I attempt any coding.
I'm not sure about SAT shifter. There's a DIY on SAT shifter I believe.