E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why is getting AUX installed????

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005 | 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

Oops, the title should read: Why is getting AUX installed so hard??

My dealer has never done the install before but they agreed to try it after reading over the PDF i sent them of the instructions that BMW puts out. I realized that the version I gave them was for BMW/AG not north america. Is there a different version of installation instructions for BMW/NA or will the other one work fine? Where can i find the NA version if it is in fact different?

David
Old 06-10-2005 | 01:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There is only the one. Works everywhere as it is not equipment specific. Probably most aux input installs done around the world are due to E60.net It is simply a little known option that is being spread by word of mouth. It's not in my manual, brochure or anywhere else in print other than the SB that I am aware of.

And look all that good training and knowledge we bring to the dealers

Good luck
Old 06-10-2005 | 01:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

Thank you for the one and only reply, haha. I will go ahead and schedule my install and hope they can do it. I am going in to get 17.1 installed also so hopefully I'll come out with mp3 capability and ipod accessibility. I hope everything goes smoothly. Thanks again.

David
Old 06-10-2005 | 06:18 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I had aux input installed yesterday--no issues--they use the same instructions as have been posted here. The parts department even keeps the part in stock and it seems they do a lot of these. If you read the instructions, it's not rocket science--I was tempted to try it myself, but it requires programming to recognize the aux input once installed, so I just had them do it. FYI--$64 (after 10% BMWCCA discount) for part, $140 labor.
Old 06-10-2005 | 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue/Auburn/Popular Wood Trim*Steptronic*NAV* Cold Weather Package*Rear Sunshades*Rear Side AirBags*Rear Heated Seats*Fold Down Rear Seats*Sport Package*Premium Sound*HUD*SAT Radio*

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:18 AM
I had aux input installed yesterday--no issues--they use the same instructions as have been posted here.? The parts department even keeps the part in stock and it seems they do a lot of these.? If you read the instructions, it's not rocket science--I was tempted to try it myself, but it requires programming to recognize the aux input once installed, so I just had them do it.? FYI--$64 (after 10% BMWCCA discount) for part, $140 labor.
[snapback]138219[/snapback]
Stream,

Are you using an I-Pod? If so can you see the play list on the NAV Screen or only on the I-Pod?

Thanks
Frank
Old 06-10-2005 | 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Frank310' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:59 AM
[quote name='stream' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:18 AM']I had aux input installed yesterday--no issues--they use the same instructions as have been posted here.? The parts department even keeps the part in stock and it seems they do a lot of these.? If you read the instructions, it's not rocket science--I was tempted to try it myself, but it requires programming to recognize the aux input once installed, so I just had them do it.? FYI--$64 (after 10% BMWCCA discount) for part, $140 labor.
Stream,

Are you using an I-Pod? If so can you see the play list on the NAV Screen or only on the I-Pod?

Thanks
Frank
[snapback]138226[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's an AUX input, not a IPOD integration device. It inputs Audio (analog) information ONLY. So no data, no play lists.

Future ipod integration is in the cards depending on how well BMW and Aplle get along, or some third party.
Old 06-10-2005 | 07:50 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:29 AM
[quote name='Frank310' date='Jun 10 2005, 08:59 AM'][quote name='stream' date='Jun 10 2005, 10:18 AM']I had aux input installed yesterday--no issues--they use the same instructions as have been posted here.? The parts department even keeps the part in stock and it seems they do a lot of these.? If you read the instructions, it's not rocket science--I was tempted to try it myself, but it requires programming to recognize the aux input once installed, so I just had them do it.? FYI--$64 (after 10% BMWCCA discount) for part, $140 labor.
Stream,

Thanks
Frank
[snapback]138226[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's an AUX input, not a IPOD integration device. It inputs Audio (analog) information ONLY. So no data, no play lists.

Future ipod integration is in the cards depending on how well BMW and Aplle get along, or some third party.
[snapback]138240[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep--aux input is not an integrated solution, but better than the CD changer!

I was speaking with the service/parts director at my dealer and he said BMW is well aware of the demand for an iPod connector for the E60 and they're working on it, but they will not commit to a ETA. After reading about the current iPod adapter available for some other BMW models, I saw it said it wasn't compatible with nav, so even if we get the current adapter ported to the E60 platform, it wouldn't do me any good, so I went for the aux in.

Dension has ice>Link Plus for other car models--I sent them an email and they responded that the E60 version will be available "by the end of this year."
http://www.densionusa.com/icelink_info.htm