E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

WHITE and BRIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012 | 07:46 PM
Members

Hi guys ive recently purchased some cheap xentecs on ebay. ( complete disappointment )
Friends hid kit on his honda is brighter than my e60.. ( so sad )
Can anyone introduce me to the brightest and whitest hid kits under $100( brands or even specific parts )
i want something where its just plug and play and no like relays and wiring like that.
and these lights are going to go on my low beam and fog lights!
any help will be appreciated!
THANKS!
Old 09-12-2012 | 03:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

From my understanding there are no "plug and play" HIDs for e60s. All kits are in the $250 range and require minor to moderate surgery of your headlights. Search the threads...plenty of DIYs and pics with awesome results. If there are plug and play kits...I would love to know of them as well.
Old 09-12-2012 | 03:30 AM
Members

From my understanding you can get kits for under $100 from ebay, all I would look up is "hid h7" on ebay and it should come up, just make sure you get one with a ballast...

no complicated wiring and should work fine...

try this url:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_n....c0.m270.l1313

gl!
Old 09-12-2012 | 01:12 PM
Members

You don't say what year your E60 is. If it is a 2008 or newer 528i, it is an LCI car and comes standard with halogen projector headlight housings. The operative word here is "projector". If you do have this headlight then you can install an HID kit consisting of Xenon bulbs, ballasts and CANBUS error cancelers. If you have a 2007 or earlier 525i or 530i with halogen headlights then you can not and should not install an HID kit in those cars as they have reflector low beam headlilghts and will scatter the light all over, blind oncoming drivers and give you no real benefit in your view of the road.

IF your car has H7 halogen headlights and is 2008 model or newer I would recommend this kit very highly.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3893

I installed this system: Morimoto 3Five (35 watt) ballasts, 4300K bulbs (H7 base) and Standalone Can-Bus error cancelers. It is in my 2008 528i and it is fantastic. Factory OEM xenon color. Very even light distribution. Great distance penetration with a good sharp cut-off. No problems, no buzzing, no iDrive errors. A huge improvement over the factory halogens. Oh, the kit also carries a 5 year warranty.
Old 09-12-2012 | 02:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acefuture
You don't say what year your E60 is. If it is a 2008 or newer 528i, it is an LCI car and comes standard with halogen projector headlight housings. The operative word here is "projector". If you do have this headlight then you can install an HID kit consisting of Xenon bulbs, ballasts and CANBUS error cancelers. If you have a 2007 or earlier 525i or 530i with halogen headlights then you can not and should not install an HID kit in those cars as they have reflector low beam headlilghts and will scatter the light all over, blind oncoming drivers and give you no real benefit in your view of the road.

IF your car has H7 halogen headlights and is 2008 model or newer I would recommend this kit very highly.

I installed this system: Morimoto 3Five (35 watt) ballasts, 4300K bulbs (H7 base) and Standalone Can-Bus error cancelers. It is in my 2008 528i and it is fantastic. Factory OEM xenon color. Very even light distribution. Great distance penetration with a good sharp cut-off. No problems, no buzzing, no iDrive errors. A huge improvement over the factory halogens. Oh, the kit also carries a 5 year warranty.

Can you explain to me what that orange plug is?
Old 09-12-2012 | 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acefuture

Great info thanks so much. I just picked up my 09 528i today and needed hids asap..lol so I just bought the kit you referred.
Old 09-12-2012 | 10:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

If you have Factory Xenon headlights (D1S) do this:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/125...-retrofit-50w/

If you have factory Halogen headlights (H7) you could potentially still get a TRS kit like the one acefuture linked you....but i'd rather save the money and just get this in 55W:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

You can also use this kit for your fogs just get the correct bulb size.

P.S. I have both kits currently installed in my car and they both work great
Old 09-13-2012 | 12:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
If you have Factory Xenon headlights (D1S) do this:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/125...-retrofit-50w/

If you have factory Halogen headlights (H7) you could potentially still get a TRS kit like the one acefuture linked you....but i'd rather save the money and just get this in 55W:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

You can also use this kit for your fogs just get the correct bulb size.

P.S. I have both kits currently installed in my car and they both work great
Yea i have the halogen h7
Someone else also refered me to ddmtuning but told me to go for a 35w instead because the 55watt generates too much heat and can melt my housing.
Btw got any pics of both the retrofit kit and the ddm kit installed and on?
Old 09-13-2012 | 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 528iDude
Can you explain to me what that orange plug is?

The orange plug in the photos is their heavy duty wire harness option which allows you to hook the headlights directly to the battery using a relay from the factory wiring to turn the headlights on and off. This heavy duty harness is unnecessary in our cars, and you want to select the Can-Bus option instead which will prevent any iDrive errors from showing up.

However, if you opt for the 55 watt ballasts (unnecessary in my opinion) then you might need the heavy duty harness to avoid putting to much electrical stress on the factory wiring harness. Not sure about this though, I'm not an expert, just a satisfied customer. Never dealt with 55 watt ballasts and my electrical knowledge is extremely limited.
Old 09-13-2012 | 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by 528iDude
Yea i have the halogen h7
Someone else also refered me to ddmtuning but told me to go for a 35w instead because the 55watt generates too much heat and can melt my housing.
Btw got any pics of both the retrofit kit and the ddm kit installed and on?

There's not really a good way for me to capture all the light it just washes everything out in the picture...but you can get an idea of what it looks like by checking out my sig and DIY...

Maybe i'll take a pic in the daytime one of these days

Quick Reply: WHITE and BRIGHT