E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Where can I get aluminum-look kidney grilles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio
Exclamation

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1017267' date='Sep 25 2009, 08:12 PM
Um, that's because chrome is for pimps and lowriders not BMW's
If chrome is for pimps and not BMWs why do they come with chrome grills if a chrome grill is not BMWish?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='1017270' date='Sep 25 2009, 06:20 PM
If chrome is for pimps and not BMWs why do they come with chrome grills if a chrome grill is not BMWish?

So that we have something ELSE to change for the better, if they made the cars perfect from the factory the aftermarket would die
Old 09-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='1017266' date='Sep 25 2009, 08:11 PM
chrome!!!!
I do not like all of the black stuff people are adding to cars. Black window trim.... black grilles....black wheels...
Makes the car look like a test mule or a kia that the aluminum looking hubcaps have fallen off and you just see the black steel wheels.

RACIAL!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='1017278' date='Sep 25 2009, 06:32 PM
RACIAL!!
DAMMIT WHERE'S AL SHARPTON!!!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='1017278' date='Sep 25 2009, 08:32 PM
RACIAL!!
Hahah good call! lol
Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='1017266' date='Sep 25 2009, 06:11 PM
chrome!!!!
I do not like all of the black stuff people are adding to cars. Black window trim.... black grilles....black wheels...
Makes the car look like a test mule or a kia that the aluminum looking hubcaps have fallen off and you just see the black steel wheels.
+1,000. Black trim and CF are rice accesories.

Let the flaming begin .
Old 09-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the comments guys. I know that I am in a bit of a black-grille-fan-club here and thats why I tried to explain my rationale in the original post.

In my view a car has to have a consistent look - if its a menace, that means all the (matte) black things with maybe a bit of red on the black wheels or something for contrast; if its a luxury car, that means chrome, beige leather and wood... (not really my thing) I certainly like the matte black grilles on many of your cars here, but they just have an overall sporty look and thats why black fits them.

Mine is a bit of a different machine - see attached pics below. Its far from pure sport, its not classic luxury, it has more of a cleaner modernistic look, if I may say so. I just want to extend that same theme on some of the exterior details, as I think the chrome grille is something of an universal brand recognition thing and thats why BMW puts it on all cars, although design-wise it does not always fit.

I have chrome only on the grille and exhaust tips and ideally I want to have them both in a colour similar to the wheels, although ideally it has to look like real metal, to be more exclusive. If I dont find anything for sale, I will go down the spraying route, although with zero painting experience I am a bit worried of the results. Anyways, I will post pics when I have something to report..
Attached Thumbnails Where can I get aluminum-look kidney grilles?-5er_combi_individual_0000.jpg   Where can I get aluminum-look kidney grilles?-5er_combi_individual_0002.jpg   Where can I get aluminum-look kidney grilles?-5er_combi_individual_0008.jpg  
Old 09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1017460' date='Sep 26 2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I know that I am in a bit of a black-grille-fan-club here and thats why I tried to explain my rationale in the original post.

In my view a car has to have a consistent look - if its a menace, that means all the (matte) black things with maybe a bit of red on the black wheels or something for contrast; if its a luxury car, that means chrome, beige leather and wood... (not really my thing) I certainly like the matte black grilles on many of your cars here, but they just have an overall sporty look and thats why black fits them.

Mine is a bit of a different machine - see attached pics below. Its far from pure sport, its not classic luxury, it has more of a cleaner modernistic look, if I may say so. I just want to extend that same theme on some of the exterior details, as I think the chrome grille is something of an universal brand recognition thing and thats why BMW puts it on all cars, although design-wise it does not always fit.

I have chrome only on the grille and exhaust tips and ideally I want to have them both in a colour similar to the wheels, although ideally it has to look like real metal, to be more exclusive. If I dont find anything for sale, I will go down the spraying route, although with zero painting experience I am a bit worried of the results. Anyways, I will post pics when I have something to report..
The interior of your car is absolutely beautiful. I love the color of the leather and the contrast of the dark trim. I think your car will look great regardless of what path you take -- good luck!
Old 09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

I agree, your car is beautiful. Congratulations!! The E61 is actually pretty sporty, but I like your idea of a "brushed" looking grilles, they would look different and classy. Good luck in your search, remember painting is an option and pretty inexpensive at that.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

I think it would look great, I saw an audi, SUV or wagon, I do not recall the other day with brushed aluminum style grille, runners and roof rack. It was on a black car and looked really nice in that situation. It was too much for me but a grille or something in that same brushed alum would look great!

Quick Reply: Where can I get aluminum-look kidney grilles?