E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wheels vibration at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on Nitto ZR and experienced roughing and little shaking in 50-60 mph, is it normal also or is it something wrong? I bought the Movens BRS from Busta on this forum, there was a bend on one wheel but get fixed by professionals and it's good balance now, but I still experienced vibration from 50-60. please help. Is there any good place to check to see what's wrong in Oragne County area? thanks guys.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Members

and if I don't fix this, will it cause any damage to my car? thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='461589' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:22 AM
and if I don't fix this, will it cause any damage to my car? thanks.

I'm guessing its your rims. Are they hubcentric? Long term it could possibly ruin suspension
Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's not normal to have a vibration but it's unfortunately pretty common and most likely due to improper balancing. Even the "experts" can get it wrong once in a while.

The best machine for balancing is a Hunter "Road Force" type machine. If the shop that did your tires doesn't have one, find one that does.

Take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=282423

and search the forums on road force to see more information...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 M3 E60 530i

hubcentric ring will solve the problem. it happened to mine as well, around 50-60 mph. After I installed the ring, vibration is gone.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Just to add to the vibration discussion.

BMW wheels are 72.56mm interior diameter.
A lot of aftermarket wheels have larger interior diameters.
If the wheel is entirely centered when the bolts are tightened, no problem.
If the wheel is not centered, vibration will occur as the wheels will not be balanced.

The hubcentric ring is meant to fill the gap so you get a good fit.

The vibration could also be caused by unbalanced tires.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='461783' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:16 PM
Just to add to the vibration discussion.

BMW wheels are 72.56mm interior diameter.
A lot of aftermarket wheels have larger interior diameters.
If the wheel is entirely centered when the bolts are tightened, no problem.
If the wheel is not centered, vibration will occur as the wheels will not be balanced.

The hubcentric ring is meant to fill the gap so you get a good fit.

The vibration could also be caused by unbalanced tires.

The best thing to do here is to take it to tire shop with the proper wheel balancer. Don't be surprised if this vibration has caused uneven tire ware and some tires need to be replaced. A good rule to follow is that if your getting vibration in the steering wheel the tires in the front are off balance, if the seat vibrated it's the rear tires.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Members

I did put on hubring since dayone, anyone can suggests a good tires shop in Orange County? thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 5.30i Saphire Black on Auburn, Sports Pckg, Premium Pckg, Sound Pckg, HUD, Cold Weather Pckg, Heated Rear Seats, Electronic Rear Window Shade, Foldable Rear Seats with Ski Bag, European Reflectors, Active Steering, PDC, 19" AC Schnitzer Type II, Front: 245/35, Rear: 275/30 Toyo T1S, H&R Sports Springs, 35% Tinted Windows, B&B exhaust w/ custom straight pipe

Originally Posted by DoanThaiTu' post='461852' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:09 PM
I did put on hubring since dayone, anyone can suggests a good tires shop in Orange County? thanks.

Did you get the right hubring though? Cuz the rims I have on right now actually made for the e39, and I used a generic hubring to make up for the difference in the hubsize, but it did not get rid of the vibrations. Found out that I was supposed to use these rings specifically made by Ronal. Everything smooth ever since
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Contributors

I got brand new BMW 172M wheels and Nitto INVO tires a few months ago and I started experiencing vibrations, mostly between 60 and 80 MPH. I had the tires rebalance three times with normal balancing machines and the vibrations did not go away. I then had an alignment done at the dealer and had the tires rebalanced again with the Hunter Road Force machine and it still has the vibrations, although a bit less than before. My wheels are brand new and OEM BMW wheels made for the E60, therefore they have the correct hub diameter and don't need any hubcentric rings. They are not bent either since the vibrations were there from day one when they were brand new. Also, the people who did the Road Force balance confirmed that the wheels were fine (as far as they could tell). So at this point I am suspecting the Nittos are the problem, although I can't tell for sure. I kind of hope that it is a problem with the Nittos because if it isn't the tires then it would have to be something with the car or the wheels, which would be more serious than if it were just bad tires.

Which Nittos do you have? You mentioned Nitto ZR, but I can't find that on their website. Are you sure the ZR isn't just the speed rating and not the model number?

Quick Reply: Wheels vibration at 50-60 mph