E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Wheel Powder coating HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - 07 X5 4.8 Sport, HUD, Cold Weather, Technology package, Premium Sound, Hitch, 214 Summer Wheels, 298 M Winter wheels Mods-M Steering wheel, LCI Tailights Sold to make room for future M5- 08 550 SpaceGray Msport, Fully Loaded, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Cold Weather, Htd Rear Seats, Sunshade, Logic 7/HD Radio, SAT, iPod, Lane Departure Warning, Fold Down Rear Seats Mods: Dinan ECU, V1 w/ concealed Display, Tint all around M5 Mirrors waiting Paint/Install RDsport Quad Exhaust waiting Install M5 style 166 wheels waiting install Sold - 07 550i

I have a brand new set of M5 166 wheels that my tire shop scracthed on me!!! So they agreed to pay for having them refinished so I chose to have them powdercoated as I was under the impression this would be a better finish. However, I just picked up the wheels and the finish looks terrible. Lots of small dimples, like there was dust in the air or something... and the company, USA Wheels in Fairfield NJ says they can't do any better. Crazy considerng they charge $175 per wheel.
Has anyone had a good experience with powdercoating? Should I expect the finish to be as good as the factory BMW finish?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

To powdercoat correctly, you need to do it in a vacuum sealed room so dust doesn't get trapped. I would demand a refund or have them do a better job.

All the powdercoating jobs I have seen are flawless with no bubbles, dimples, etc.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 07-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
To powdercoat correctly, you need to do it in a vacuum sealed room so dust doesn't get trapped. I would demand a refund or have them do a better job.

All the powdercoating jobs I have seen are flawless with no bubbles, dimples, etc.

Michael
Acute Performance
Agreed. If it doesn't look right, chances are it isnt. Maybe take a wheel to another powdercoat shop and ask for their opinion? Although they might just try to get your business and be shady about it. Still an option though.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 SMG 545i silver grey metallic / bamboo anthracite / black leather CPO sport package premium sound park distance control cold weather package

The wheels should definitely not have any dimples in them. The finish should be as smooth as any other wheel.
They definitely did a bad job, and you do need to either demand a full refund, or have them do it again correctly. Not to mention the price you paid is quite expensive.
I got mine done, here in california, for $50/wheel and the finish is absolutely perfect.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by eurotunerM3
The wheels should definitely not have any dimples in them. The finish should be as smooth as any other wheel.
They definitely did a bad job, and you do need to either demand a full refund, or have them do it again correctly. Not to mention the price you paid is quite expensive.
I got mine done, here in california, for $50/wheel and the finish is absolutely perfect.
sorry to hijack your thread but where did you gets done eurotunerM3?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I have used USA wheels in Fairfield, NJ. They seem to do good repair work on wheels. I noticed they had some PC'd wheels there that look to be good. I would demand them to redo your wheels or return you $$$. They are a company so make sure you give them much hassle about it, b/c they dont want to tarnish there name.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Infamous039
I have used USA wheels in Fairfield, NJ. They seem to do good repair work on wheels. I noticed they had some PC'd wheels there that look to be good. I would demand them to redo your wheels or return you $$$. They are a company so make sure you give them much hassle about it, b/c they dont want to tarnish there name.
it seems like they have tarnished the name on their own anyway.. lol.. I dont know how some places run things in such a way and hand something back to a customer as crap...? How do they stay afloat? w.e i would be pissed and I would say something and make a stink over it, it should have bubbles as everyone says and it should be flat and clean looking.. im annoyed (probably cause my own powdercoating looks like shit still)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - 07 X5 4.8 Sport, HUD, Cold Weather, Technology package, Premium Sound, Hitch, 214 Summer Wheels, 298 M Winter wheels Mods-M Steering wheel, LCI Tailights Sold to make room for future M5- 08 550 SpaceGray Msport, Fully Loaded, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Cold Weather, Htd Rear Seats, Sunshade, Logic 7/HD Radio, SAT, iPod, Lane Departure Warning, Fold Down Rear Seats Mods: Dinan ECU, V1 w/ concealed Display, Tint all around M5 Mirrors waiting Paint/Install RDsport Quad Exhaust waiting Install M5 style 166 wheels waiting install Sold - 07 550i

Well, not only did the finish look terrible, with all the bubbles, it also is nothing like the factory M finish, but they also scuffed the edge of one wheel while remounting the tire and tried to pass it off on me! They agreed to redo the PowderCoating on that wheel but gave me a stink about remounting the tire because they didn't want to scuff the wheel again. I told them they were crazy, so they finally agreed to refinish and then remount the tire.

After I left and thought about it, I called them back. I've decided to just find another shop. I went to pickup the wheel and they ended up ripping the tire (on the edge). Unbelievable!!!

I spoke to ProFormance in New Rochelle, NY. I plan to visit them on Monday to see what they can do. Though they claim that PC will not hold up any better then the factory BMW finish.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Mbmw540i
Well, not only did the finish look terrible, with all the bubbles, it also is nothing like the factory M finish, but they also scuffed the edge of one wheel while remounting the tire and tried to pass it off on me! They agreed to redo the PowderCoating on that wheel but gave me a stink about remounting the tire because they didn't want to scuff the wheel again. I told them they were crazy, so they finally agreed to refinish and then remount the tire.

After I left and thought about it, I called them back. I've decided to just find another shop. I went to pickup the wheel and they ended up ripping the tire (on the edge). Unbelievable!!!

I spoke to ProFormance in New Rochelle, NY. I plan to visit them on Monday to see what they can do. Though they claim that PC will not hold up any better then the factory BMW finish.
wow, sorry to hear that, they sound like a bunch of morons and if they cant even remove a friggen tire properly then they shouldnt be doing wheel work.. good luck hun
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

u have any pix?

Quick Reply: Wheel Powder coating HELP!