E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What would the dealers rationale be...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Seriously, what the hell?

So my '04 545 has some weird Idrive stutters and hangs so as part of a planned service, I have the guys check it out thinking that they'll update the software to a point where I could then put in my ipod adapter without having to go back in. The version at the time was dated back to 04 so it was in bad need of an update.

I tell the guy I eventually want to put an Ipod adapter in as well and he said they would update to the latest version. I pick up my car after dealership hours and check my new software version - CIP 21.00.00 (06-03-510...) That's freaking march of 2006, a full seven months before the version to patch for Ipod comes available. This is over 2 years old!!!

What in the world could be the dealers rationale for doing this? Do they have to pay for license or something? What would be the benefit to NOT upgrading to the latest version? Aside from charging me more money to upgrade it even further. I'm seriously steamed but before I go back to the dealer, I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something important here.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks...

-Dirk
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Well At least you don 't have a N54 powered car and got the 29.2 or 30.2 updates , Lag city! Basically ruins the motor on the pre 3/08 N54's and bmw has no fix , and it's like trying to pull teeth out of a crocodile to get them to take you back the 27.x or 28.x that work.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='652051' date='Aug 22 2008, 04:10 AM
Seriously, what the hell?

So my '04 545 has some weird Idrive stutters and hangs so as part of a planned service, I have the guys check it out thinking that they'll update the software to a point where I could then put in my ipod adapter without having to go back in. The version at the time was dated back to 04 so it was in bad need of an update.

I tell the guy I eventually want to put an Ipod adapter in as well and he said they would update to the latest version. I pick up my car after dealership hours and check my new software version - CIP 21.00.00 (06-03-510...) That's freaking march of 2006, a full seven months before the version to patch for Ipod comes available. This is over 2 years old!!!

What in the world could be the dealers rationale for doing this? Do they have to pay for license or something? What would be the benefit to NOT upgrading to the latest version? Aside from charging me more money to upgrade it even further. I'm seriously steamed but before I go back to the dealer, I wanted to make sure I'm not missing something important here.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks...

-Dirk
In the USA, BMW makes the dealer get rid of any PROGMAN (CIP) more than one version back. In fact BMWAG was critical of US dealers being slow to use the very latest CIP version. I was not aware one could even find that old a version. How did you determine your software version? I suppose if you do not have iDrive you may be able to do it yourself.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='652487' date='Aug 23 2008, 05:30 AM
In the USA, BMW makes the dealer get rid of any PROGMAN (CIP) more than one version back. In fact BMWAG was critical of US dealers being slow to use the very latest CIP version. I was not aware one could even find that old a version. How did you determine your software version? I suppose if you do not have iDrive you may be able to do it yourself.
Used the hidden Idrive menu to check the version.

I'm going back tomorrow morning to find out what they say. I bet it's going to be something stupid like "Well, your car is 4 years old so that version is new for your car!"

Not really sure. I doubt it'll do any good but I've already crafted a letter to BMW in germany (In German no less) about how horrible the dealer situation is here in UAE. The way they allow only one license per emirate is ridiculous. There is no reason to provide good service for any dealership - They all suck ass. If you want a BMW, MB, Audi, whatever.. you've got ONE choice and they all suck. And since so many expats are doing well here, the first thing they want with their new found cash flow is a good german car, so they sell like mad, regardless of the service.

With that said, my SA is a nice guy and has been impressed with my knowledge of the car (a few weeks with the forums, tbh), but he's up against it with his management.

Parts are double what they cost anywhere else as a general rule, and cost for service per hour seems fine, but they jack up how many hours it takes to do something. 6 hours to install an ipod adapter??? OK!

-Dirk