E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What Progman 25 will do ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Just thought I'd share my experience. Brought my car in for an oil change and told my SA that the CD tracks skip around after the car shuts down overnight. So he brings in their head technician who says, no problem ... just needs a software update. After seeing all the posts about the new software and seeing the new tweaks for myself at the last Bay Area meet, I was ecstatic to finally get the Search feature. Sure enough, the color scheme and updated menus are GREAT, including the 6-second lawyer screen before the main menu automatically pops up. I really didn't notice any improvements in overall speed between inputs/menus, though. But the one thing that I noticed BIGTIME is how the car lost it's Dinan-ness since the reprogram erased the Stage 3 Dinan software.

The Dinan software really makes the car feel lighter than it really is. I can't wait till Wednesday to get the Dinan software re-flashed. For now, the car feels HEAVY, like I'm towing an extra 1000 pounds. Throttle response is sluggish. Stomp on the pedal at 75 in 6th and a SLOW wave of torque kicks in gradually. (Reminds me of driving uphill in a 4-cylinder). With the Dinan program, the same stomp brings about a BURST of torque followed by a huge grin. Feels like the stock program feeds fuel and air slowly-but-surely vs. fast-and-furious. Even taking 90-degree lefts and rights in a residential neighborhood feels like I'm towing a truck; you can hear the engine bogging down, begging you to use 2nd gear. But the Dinan program eliminates the 3rd gear "struggle". Amazing how tweaking an engine's fuel/air maps makes a huge difference in overall response. Regardless, the power is still there ... just that it takes a little longer to feel it.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

A full CIP upgrade will almost always reflash your ECU. The reason being is the software finds that the version on the ECU is 'different' than the latest BMW version for your car, so it upgrades (well actually downgrades) it.

I lost my DMS setting but can't get DMS to put it back on because BMW still need to reflash my car back again for the Voice Retrofit feature which I lost as part of CIP 25.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Roleez' post='424012' date='May 14 2007, 02:13 AM
Just thought I'd share my experience. Brought my car in for an oil change and told my SA that the CD tracks skip around after the car shuts down overnight. So he brings in their head technician who says, no problem ... just needs a software update. After seeing all the posts about the new software and seeing the new tweaks for myself at the last Bay Area meet, I was ecstatic to finally get the Search feature. Sure enough, the color scheme and updated menus are GREAT, including the 6-second lawyer screen before the main menu automatically pops up. I really didn't notice any improvements in overall speed between inputs/menus, though. But the one thing that I noticed BIGTIME is how the car lost it's Dinan-ness since the reprogram erased the Stage 3 Dinan software.

The Dinan software really makes the car feel lighter than it really is. I can't wait till Wednesday to get the Dinan software re-flashed. For now, the car feels HEAVY, like I'm towing an extra 1000 pounds. Throttle response is sluggish. Stomp on the pedal at 75 in 6th and a SLOW wave of torque kicks in gradually. (Reminds me of driving uphill in a 4-cylinder). With the Dinan program, the same stomp brings about a BURST of torque followed by a huge grin. Feels like the stock program feeds fuel and air slowly-but-surely vs. fast-and-furious. Even taking 90-degree lefts and rights in a residential neighborhood feels like I'm towing a truck; you can hear the engine bogging down, begging you to use 2nd gear. But the Dinan program eliminates the 3rd gear "struggle". Amazing how tweaking an engine's fuel/air maps makes a huge difference in overall response. Regardless, the power is still there ... just that it takes a little longer to feel it.

Just had my 530D software pgraded by the dealer. Car seems to run better. However I have lost voice commands. Can anyone tell me if this is another software problem with the latest version.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by kjhkent' post='426019' date='May 18 2007, 04:29 PM
Just had my 530D software pgraded by the dealer. Car seems to run better. However I have lost voice commands. Can anyone tell me if this is another software problem with the latest version.
Although this is a North American bulletin I believe the issues are more prevelant in Europe then here. You are ost likely a victum of some failure on the part of the dealer to properly code your car.

SI B 09 02 07
Programming/Coding Explanations May 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B09 02 07 dated May 2007.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC: Enabling Code (FSC) Required for Voice Recognition System

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

E60, E61 (5 Series) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E70 (X5) with CCC Navigation (SA 609)

SITUATION

Progman V25.00.00 or higher prompts the importing of an enabling code during programming.

Loss of Voice Recognition System (SVS SA 620) functions after programming with Progman V25.00.00 or higher.

On vehicles produced after March 2007, if a CCC (Car Communication Computer) is replaced an enabling code must be ordered in order to activate the SVS function on the replacement CCC.

CAUSE
Enabling codes (FSC) make it possible to link special functions to a vehicle. Without these enabling codes these functions will not operate. In this specific case, the enabling codes must be imported any time the Car Communication Computer (CCC) is programmed in order to ensure that SVS is functioning properly. If the enabling codes are not imported during the programming procedure, the SVS function will not be available.

PROCEDURE
A special DVD (labeled "SWT V1.1") is supplied together with the Progman V25.1 DVD set. The enabling codes contained on this DVD are for all vehicles with CCC and SVS.

After Progman has been installed on the SSS, place the FSC (SWT) DVD into the DVD drive and leave it there. This will ensure that the enabling codes are available for every Progman session as needed.

Refer to the "Procedure" attachment which outlines the procedure on how to import the enabling codes with the SSS.

If an enabling code is not provided following this procedure, refer to the "Parts" information attached to this Service Information.

(New) If during the course of diagnosis a CCC needs to be replaced, the only part that should be installed is a new part that has not been previously installed in a vehicle. The CCC enabling code is VIN specific and if installed in another vehicle, the SVS (Voice Input System) will not function. Do not swap parts from donor vehicles.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
No additional labor allowance, included in the allotted programming time.

ATTACHMENTS
view PDF attachment B090207Parts_Info_V1_1.
view PDF attachment B090207Procedure_V1_1.