E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What if I get custom perforated leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Okay, so I obviously love my E60, don't wanna trade it in for anything else, bla bla bla. There are a few little annoyances about it that I'd like iron out - and I think I should, since I'm sort of planning to keep it for good. One of such annoyances is the non-perforated leather - gets too hot in the summer, doesn't breathe. I noticed some wear creeping up on the driver's seat and figured I may as well get some custom leather work done (was planning to re-wrap the steering wheel and the shifter boot anyway). Then I got to thinking, if I'm gonna have some leather work done on the front seats, why not splurge for the big kahuna and get some perforated inserts done? Well, why? What would preclude me? Can someone tell me? I do have heated seats and sport package = sport seats. I'd get the center sections on the seats done in perforated and possibly quilted leather, but not sure if that would mess up the heated seats option somehow - its already a little too aggressive at times...

TIA
Old 09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Contributors

I think this is an awesome idea and I've contemplated it myself. Our "leather" is stiff as hell and since I have a lighter interior, the imperfections show more. Definitely interested in seeing where this goes. I'm on the same boat regarding the heated seats and sports seats and would only consider doing the middle inserts too.

Do you think quilted AND perforated may be a little "too much"? Quilted would be more comfortable but perforated would breathe better of course. The final decision may be dependent on what kind of padding, or lack thereof, is in the seats.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

Perforated. My wife's Lexus just feels so much better like that......Especially with the AC going through that!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributors

^ I agree. Plus, quilted definitely looks more "aftermarket."
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributors

I actually want to do both - perforated and quilted... well, I think it not actually called "quilted", because quilted is a diamond-shape pattern, what I want is just vertical/longitudinal "bars", or "stripes" - not sure what it is called, actually, let me just show you a pic:

What if I get custom perforated leather?-image047.jpg

so, again, what I wanna do is the inserts in that type of "bar" pattern (most comfortable EVER - had them on one of my Audi A6's ), but made out of perforated leather.

And the concern is that the heaters in the seats may function differently - over- or under-heat the old royal buns, ya know also, I'm concerned that the perforated "pads" may tear up from someone's jeans, or something... but it would be so hot though, no?!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

Maybe something like this? I don't like the color but the work on the interior is gorgeous.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...rs-bmw-m5.html
Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Okay, so I obviously love my E60, don't wanna trade it in for anything else, bla bla bla. There are a few little annoyances about it that I'd like iron out - and I think I should, since I'm sort of planning to keep it for good. One of such annoyances is the non-perforated leather - gets too hot in the summer, doesn't breathe. I noticed some wear creeping up on the driver's seat and figured I may as well get some custom leather work done (was planning to re-wrap the steering wheel and the shifter boot anyway). Then I got to thinking, if I'm gonna have some leather work done on the front seats, why not splurge for the big kahuna and get some perforated inserts done? Well, why? What would preclude me? Can someone tell me? I do have heated seats and sport package = sport seats. I'd get the center sections on the seats done in perforated and possibly quilted leather, but not sure if that would mess up the heated seats option somehow - its already a little too aggressive at times...

TIA

https://5series.net/forums/topic/102...-not-over-yet/

...And JOHN... I think you're going to (at least) like the outcome.

- Antti -
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

here's ur DIY for perf leather!!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Contributors

^^lololol
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Contributors

You people are no help!!!

Quick Reply: What if I get custom perforated leather?