E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What a difference proper tools can make!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Finally got around to installing my ACS roof spoiler. It's been sitting on the rear shelf behind the rear seats for months. I bought the holders from ebay and they were great! Holds the spoiler down tight and hard way better than painter's tape.

Gluing:

What a difference proper tools can make!-acsglue.jpg

Per the ACS instructions:

What a difference proper tools can make!-acsinst.jpg

Spoiler placed and holders holding. I placed the holders on the glass instead of the roof. I figured the smooth surface of the glass would let the suction cups stick better. Also, I taped the top of the spoiler to prevent the holders from marring or scratching the surface.:

What a difference proper tools can make!-acsholder.jpg

I also taped the suction cup down to make sure they don't lift and lose suction:

What a difference proper tools can make!-acstaped.jpg

Now to wait 24 hours for the glue to cure. To prevent moisure and evening dew from getting the tape wet and lifting, I covered the whole thing up:

What a difference proper tools can make!-acscovered.jpg
Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Damn! Full production!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Contributors

LOL! I was worried about other people's stories of spoilers flying away so I wanted to do it as properly as I can. What I didn't show is using the ACS supplied surface cleaner and primer before gluing and placing the spoiler down.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

This is great! Hey Balbs, would you consider renting those holders for a nominal fee? I have a replica ACS roof spoiler I need to mount. BTW, what type of glue does this ACS kit come with? Is it silicone?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
LOL! I was worried about other people's stories of spoilers flying away so I wanted to do it as properly as I can. What I didn't show is using the ACS supplied surface cleaner and primer before gluing and placing the spoiler down.
Balbs did those holders come with your spoiler or did you buy those els where? If so where did you buy the holders from?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Toyota, I guess the adhesive is Polyurethane. The spoiler came with this Elch Pro Adhesive Kit.
http://www.caldic.com/Locations/Cald...esive-Kit.aspx

Cwest, I had to get them separately from eBay. Unfortunately, I didn't see any US vendors that have them so they came from the UK. Total including shipping is about $65 from what I remember. Personally, I thought paying that much for it was too much...but hey, I wanted to install it right and I don't want to put steel weights on my roof and windshield and risk having them slide off. LOL!

I bought them from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180522393610...84.m1439.l2649
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Toyota, I guess the adhesive is Polyurethane. The spoiler came with this Elch Pro Adhesive Kit.
http://www.caldic.com/Locations/Cald...esive-Kit.aspx

Cwest, I had to get them separately from eBay. Unfortunately, I didn't see any US vendors that have them so they came from the UK. Total including shipping is about $65 from what I remember. Personally, I thought paying that much for it was too much...but hey, I wanted to install it right and I don't want to put steel weights on my roof and windshield and risk having them slide off. LOL!

I bought them from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180522393610...84.m1439.l2649
If it's going to make my roof spoiler stay on this time for good, then it's worth the $65 even though I don't know if I'll ever use it again LoL. You prob can resell them on the fourm, so it gets passed or either renting them out..?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cwest
If it's going to make my roof spoiler stay on this time for good, then it's worth the $65 even though I don't know if I'll ever use it again LoL. You prob can resell them on the fourm, so it gets passed or either renting them out..?
Yeah, you and toyota2bmw has the right idea. I was actually thinking about that when I first started the thread. I don't know if I'll ever use them again. Maybe it could be used for the trunk spoiler as well. However, I already mounted the trunk spoiler before I got the holders.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Contributors

So instead of curing the adhesive for 24 hours, I let it sit for 36! I didn't want to take any chances. Every morning and night I checked the car out to confirm that the clamps are holding...and they were. Anyway I went home a bit from work and took the "bandages" off.

What a difference proper tools can make!-acsuncovered.jpg

Originally the spoiler wasn't as curved as the glass, but look at how flush the ends are. The reflections make it look like the gap is doubled, but it's on there pretty good.

What a difference proper tools can make!-acsflushed.jpg

I think the clamps worked very well and like a fine Bavarian virgin, the spoiler is mounted Gudentite!

And now to pick which one to put on...or just leave off.

What a difference proper tools can make!-acssticker.jpg
Old 09-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Alpine White

The black one looks good to me. Looks great. I think I'm going to order these clamps.

Not to thread jack you Balbs, but if anyone wants to order with me and save on shipping let me know. The clamps are like $30, but the damn shipping is like $25, coming from Europe. :thumbsdown:

Maybeby ordering a few sets, we can split shipping cost.

Quick Reply: What a difference proper tools can make!