E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

what is the best way to ship wheels and tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to know who here has experience shipping wheels and tires and what is the best way to ship them. I have a guy interested in my stock wheels and tires and I want to look for the best way to save him on the shipping.

Thanks for your input
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by loanman' post='513486' date='Jan 3 2008, 10:18 PM
I wanted to know who here has experience shipping wheels and tires and what is the best way to ship them. I have a guy interested in my stock wheels and tires and I want to look for the best way to save him on the shipping.

Thanks for your input
I had to return tires to TireRack, and I used FedEx ground. Not all that expensive, and you get a tracking number so you know if/when they were received. I brought them to a FexEx/Kinko's - super easy.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Members

Thanks for the info bdkinnh, did you find that FedEx was cheaper than UPS?
Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by loanman' post='513486' date='Jan 3 2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks for your input
UPS Ground is generally better, but both are about the same price.

Don't forget to double box your setup to prevent damage to the wheels.

The best way to send them is to use a smaller box for each wheel and tire (assuming that the tire is already mounted on the wheel), and then put two boxes into a larger box for mailing. In other words, two small boxes into a single large box. You can get the large box at most storage places. Finding the smaller boxes that fit each of the wheels is harder to do.
Sending only two larger boxes for the four wheels/tire saves money, but more importantly, you protect the shipment from damage.
Best of luck,
Richard
Old 01-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Members

Good advice Richard, thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
JPJ
Contributors

I have shipped wheels a few times and have a method that has always gotten them there in great shape. Only works if tires are mounted on the wheels. I shipped some large Camaro SS wheels/tires to TX a while back using UPS and the guy was really pleased with how they were packaged. They were just over 50 pounds each and shipping cost right at $40 (so $160 total)

Kind of hard to discribe though. I thought I had pictures before shipping but couldn't find them. Cut round disks from heavy cardboard slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the tire (doubled up on each side unless it is really heavy cardboard). Picture a tire sandwich with cardboard bread. Wrap 2' wide heavy packaging paper (from any office supply store) a couple of wraps all the way around the outside of the tire (around the tread). Tape the end of the paper down then wrap the sides over the sidewalls on both the front and back of the tire. Place the cardboard disks on top of the packaging paper on both sides (this completely encloses the tire and wheel). Then use plenty of packing tape to hold it all together -- wrapped from front to back to hold the top and bottom cardboard together and make a nice tight package. Between the cardboard and the tire, the wheel is completely protected.

The packaging paper is optional since exposed tread is really not a problem and if the cardboard is almost to the outer edge the tape just touches the tread area. I like using the paper though so there is no exposed tire during shipping or tape residue when you unwrap it all. If it is a smaller tire/wheel combo you can stack 2 tire/wheel sets together with cardboard in the middle and then tape it all together. If you have access to equipment that does banding it is even better than tape.

Sorry if this is confusing -- a picture would make it so much easier!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Members

Thats great stuff JPJ. thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by loanman' post='513652' date='Jan 4 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info bdkinnh, did you find that FedEx was cheaper than UPS?
TireRack was paying for the shipping, so I didn't compare.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Nav, Logic 7, sport pkg, premium pkg, sport seats, Hoen fogs, rear LED tail lights, super white license bulbs, heated front and rear seats, M-tech front and rear bumper covers, M5 trunks spoiler and finisher. Desiring euro xenon headlights.

If you are shipping the wheels on the tires, just cut out 2 round, circular pieces of cardboard just slightly lighter than the diameter of the rim. Leave just enough left over to view the name of the tire, size, etc. Place one on the front of the rim, the other on the back of the rim and wrap them together on the wheel, with tape or plastic wrap, like a mummy. That way they are guaranteed not to be damaged.

If you are sending the tires seperately, then go to a wheel / rim shop and ask for 8 boxes. The first 4 is to place the factory rims in (i.e. boxes for 18" rims) then place those boxes into the remaining 4 boxes, which will be slightly larger (i.e. boxes that a set of 20" rims came in). Don't worry about the tires, they can be shipped as-is, and part of the shipment as well.

From experience, FedEx is much cheaper than UPS and once they issue you a tracking number, you can go to www.fedex.com and track its EVERY movement.

....................I just read JPJ's reply and my first paragraph is basically the same method.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributors

2 boxes, 26x26x26, 2 wheels in each.

The best rates are BAX but they won't serve retail customers so I'd go with FedEx. At retail they're going to charge you an arm and a leg but as a consumer that's really the only option
UPS will rape you!

Hope this helps
JL

Quick Reply: what is the best way to ship wheels and tires?