E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

warning NOHIGHTECH

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEWS THE DEALER CHANGED IT ON WARRANTY....

Today I showed the dealer the problem with the collapsing and loose emblem and I didnt get an answer just a question mark face , however I will get my car back in the morning???

passing a warning!!!! dont press the BMW steering wheel emblem it will collaps inward.

Due to a bad construction you cant slam the horn because if you touch the emblem it will collapse inwards.

The emblem is made of beercan metal without support behind it ,there is free space and therefore no support so dont use the horn,,, incredible stupid construction!!

Anyone have experienced this please tell me how and if ypu got it fixed on the warranty?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the board.
I haven't seen a post on this problem before.
Best thing to do is take it to the dealer.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, persam !

Never saw this problem before, but it has to do something with the factthat there is an airbag inside of the steering wheel...
Bring it to your dealer, he'll fix it for you.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by persam' date='Nov 6 2004, 10:30 AM
passing a warning!!!! dont press the BMW steering wheel emblem it will collaps inward.

Due to a bad construction you cant slam the horn because if you touch the emblem it will collapse inwards.

The emblem is made of beercan metal without support behind it ,there is free space and therefore no support so dont use the horn,,, incredible stupid construction!!

Anyone have experienced this please tell me how and if ypu got it fixed on the warranty?
[snapback]53223[/snapback]
Maybe it's made of a somewhat "soft" metal so that when the airbag goes off, you don't have a permanent BMW roundel on your forehead (although, for some of us, that may be appropriate (or a welcomed) improvement. )
Old 11-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, persam ! never heard of this problem but agree with others, take it to the dealer. who knows it's originally made like this or defective ?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributors

wow interesting founding. agree with the others, just bring your car to the dealer, they will fix it very fast i guess.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Members

Welcome persam to a great forum
Old 11-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Members

Question

This is how it looks , no support it will collaps if touched.... warning NOHIGHTECH-img_0270.jpg
Old 11-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Members

Angry

Today a person from Germany called me up and said that she suggested that you must not touch the emblem on the steering wheel .... then I asked her if there is such a information in the usermanual? I read the user manual and it says that the whole area of steering wheel the should be used!

I belive that if the construction is so weak that you have to think before you use the horn , the car isnt supposed to get a permit to be on the road.

I got an answer from her that she will pass this information to the appropiate department at BMW Germany.

As soon I will get any more from BMW I will pass it on.

Originally Posted by persam' date='Nov 6 2004, 04:30 PM
Today I showed the dealer the problem with the collapsing and loose emblem and I didnt get an answer just a question mark face , however I will get my car back in the morning???

It will be interesting to see how the dealer handles this *hit.

[snapback]53223[/snapback]
Old 11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

my last car (audi a4) i had someone scratch & nick the insert of the steering wheel (same area that houses the emblem) and went to the dealer asking for a replacement (not asking for them to replace it for free .. but for me to pay for it) and i was informed that in order to replace that area of the steering wheel, i'd have to purchase a whole new airbag as the airbag is connected to that cover. i wonder if the construction is the same with BMW as it is on Audi/VW side.

--marco