E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Warning for anyone considering LUX H8 LED's

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to share my current situation with LUX angel eyes. It's been almost a month since the initial purchase and I have yet to receive working LED bulbs. I placed the initial order on July 30th and received them August 20th (actually got them in the mail earlier, but I was out of town and couldn't install them). Upon initial inspection, one of the four LED's on one bulb had a gel cap that was missing. I took a picture, emailed it to Marc, and explained the situation. I asked for an exchange at that point, but decided to go ahead and install them just out of curiosity. They both seemed to work fine, although the one with the gel cap missing was slightly dimmer, pattern wasn't as even. After five minutes of driving, I would get a bulb-out error for both angel eyes. I thought the car was just adjusting or something and didn't think too much of it, but almost every 5 minutes or so, I'd get a warning that the bulbs were out. This continued for a few days. They'd appear and ding for both sides, then go away. I took them both out, put back the halogens, and all was fine. No errors. I returned them in their packaging, emailed Marc about the situation, and sent them back to him insured and priority. This was Aug 24th. USPS told me they should arrive at Marc's address on the 26th or 27th. I waited and waited and eventually emailed him if he had sent out an exchange set and, if so, what is the tracking number. The last email I have received from him was on the 29th basically saying he'll check for a tracking number when he get's home. I have not heard from him since and have received nothing in the mail. I dropped $245 on a set of bulbs almost a month ago and haven't received a properly functioning set. At this point, if you're considering getting the LUX angel eyes, please proceed with caution.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Derr... I don't know this Marc guy or his work, but I am absolutely stunned that a set of $245 AE's doesn't have the correct sized resistor built-in to suppress the error. I mean, to simplify it, it's just: resistance = (input v - output v) / amp.

Wtf
Old 09-02-2011, 05:21 AM
Members

Just wanted to give an update. Marc got back to me regarding the angel eye's and I'll hopefully be getting them soon. I'll post some pics up when I do. After 4 days of silence from him, he responded surprising quick when I posted up a comment on one of the main E90 forums.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Derr... I don't know this Marc guy or his work, but I am absolutely stunned that a set of $245 AE's doesn't have the correct sized resistor built-in to suppress the error. I mean, to simplify it, it's just: resistance = (input v - output v) / amp.

Wtf
this was one of the first kits made for the e60, as his kits were initially made for the e9x models. granted there might be and looks to be a trial and error process, so let's not be so quick to jump on bashing wagon just yet. Not trying to give any excuses, but just trying to see the glass half full rather than empty....

OP: marc is usually very good about correspondence and product replacement. Marc and LuxAngelEyes have been a vendor on another forum for awhile now and reviews can be found. Please keep us posted as to how this turns out. Good luck
Old 09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
this was one of the first kits made for the e60, as his kits were initially made for the e9x models. granted there might be and looks to be a trial and error process, so let's not be so quick to jump on bashing wagon just yet. Not trying to give any excuses, but just trying to see the glass half full rather than empty....
Haha, Gene, you're probably a lot more patient person than I am. Conceptually, it is no different than E9x, so to me, it makes no sense that this should happen at all. The biggest factor of having a product for E60 really is to modify the bulb holder from his existing design. That is all (more or less).
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Haha, Gene, you're probably a lot more patient person than I am. Conceptually, it is no different than E9x, so to me, it makes no sense that this should happen at all. The biggest factor of having a product for E60 really is to modify the bulb holder from his existing design. That is all (more or less).
would love to see you put out a product as you continue to downplay the complexity of these AE systems....as you know, not everyone is up for orion rings, so any plug and play alternative is welcome...
Old 09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Members

Dan,
We have already talked about this in person through e-mails to each other. The reason that i did not respond was because we were hit by Hurricane Irene and had no power and no internet, so we were dead in the water until today.

nomis_nehc - You are absolutely not correct about what you said in post #2. Not to start an argument, but do not make assumptions about a product if you do not understand how LED's operate, how the BMW Electrical system operates, and all of the other nuances about LED Drivers
Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mds82
Dan,
We have already talked about this in person through e-mails to each other. The reason that i did not respond was because we were hit by Hurricane Irene and had no power and no internet, so we were dead in the water until today.

nomis_nehc - You are absolutely not correct about what you said in post #2. Not to start an argument, but do not make assumptions about a product if you do not understand how LED's operate, how the BMW Electrical system operates, and all of the other nuances about LED Drivers
Then please educate us.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

What's not to understand about a pulse width regulated lighting system that constantly runs hot and cold checks for continuity where it believes an incandescent should be?

Not you Simon, lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sublime
What's not to understand about a pulse width regulated lighting system that constantly runs hot and cold checks for continuity where it believes an incandescent should be?

Not you Simon, lol.
Heh, the hot and cold checks are only looking for "proper" current draw and resistance as far as I know. You can't just say "you're wrong" and not elaborate