E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Last weekend I had the video interface and iDrive module fitted by a professional. It works fine except for few hiccups. The sound quality is not fantastic as we have used an FM Mod - I'll have the aux-in fitted soon. The main problem is that when you start the car the screen flickers for about 10 seconds before stabilizing - and even then after every minute or so it gives one flicker even when its on idrive screen and not in DVD mode. Annoying I must say.
Secondly the iDrive module doesn't work as its supposed to work. From MENU flick down and then right it goes to DVD but then it doesn't do anything more. Keep flicking it right (3 o clock) and it doesn't change from one video source to the next and so on as it was supposed to do. Also when I flick left from MENU i.e go into CLIMATE and then down and right it goes to DVD screen rather than staying in iDrive screen.
I haven't e mailed Dom yet but I thought I'll share it with the forum first.
When the lights are turned on (headlights) there is slight screeching sound in the speakers - probably from static picked up by the FM Mod.
The Reversing Camera is great - it was fixed to the right side by the Pro, but I changed it to more midline position myself, although at the cost of a shadow at the top - doesn't matter.
I will be trying to upload the video and pics
And by the way, the DVD player DID fit into the space above the DTC button as you can see.
Attached Thumbnails Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report-dvd_player.jpg   Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report-dvd_player_position.jpg   Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report-reverse_view_camera.jpg   Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report-reverse_camera.jpg  
Old 11-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Members

I have a similar set up but I was told that the AUX-IN was a necessary item. I have since fixed it before installing the i-Drive controller. I will add the MacMini (which doubles up as my DVD player) and a TV tuner next.

Happy modding
Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AussieBimmer' post='356326' date='Nov 15 2006, 05:34 PM
Ok. Last weekend I had the video interface and iDrive module fitted by a professional. It works fine except for few hiccups. The sound quality is not fantastic as we have used an FM Mod - I'll have the aux-in fitted soon. The main problem is that when you start the car the screen flickers for about 10 seconds before stabilizing - and even then after every minute or so it gives one flicker even when its on idrive screen and not in DVD mode. Annoying I must say.
Secondly the iDrive module doesn't work as its supposed to work. From MENU flick down and then right it goes to DVD but then it doesn't do anything more. Keep flicking it right (3 o clock) and it doesn't change from one video source to the next and so on as it was supposed to do. Also when I flick left from MENU i.e go into CLIMATE and then down and right it goes to DVD screen rather than staying in iDrive screen.
When the lights are turned on (headlights) there is slight screeching sound in the speakers - probably from static picked up by the FM Mod.
The Reversing Camera is great - it was fixed to the right side by the Pro, but I changed it to more midline position myself, although at the cost of a shadow at the top - doesn't matter.
And by the way, the DVD player DID fit into the space above the DTC button as you can see.
Do u drille any hole for the reverse camera.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by shield' post='356335' date='Nov 15 2006, 05:09 AM
Do u drille any hole for the reverse camera.
The Pro guy actually drilled holes next to the number plate lights, but when I changed it, its fixed to the number plate itself.
Attached Thumbnails Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report-rc1.jpg  
Old 11-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AussieBimmer' post='356353' date='Nov 15 2006, 07:49 PM
The Pro guy actually drilled holes next to the number plate lights, but when I changed it, its fixed to the number plate itself.
How about the wire of the carmera?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Members

The wire goes in through the number plate light
Old 11-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Contributors

Where did you tap for power? Can you show pictures of how the camera wire, went into the car, and how it went into the cabin from the trunk? I'm interested in that.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='356379' date='Nov 15 2006, 08:55 AM
Where did you tap for power? Can you show pictures of how the camera wire, went into the car, and how it went into the cabin from the trunk? I'm interested in that.
Sorry mate there are no pictures as it was fitted in my absence. From outside it went in through a smallhole on the side of the number plate light, and I presume after that it went through the round pipe-like moving part that holds the boot open. But I'm guessing.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Contributors

how bout power tap? do you happen to know where they tapped for power for the unit?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Members

Hi AussieBimmer
Hope all is well. I think your flicker is power related. The only true ignition source that I know of in ths car is in the truck in the fuse box. You will see 3 heavy red wires there 1 of them is a true ignition source. You can see if it is power related real easy, take the power 12v wire of the mod and hook it up to the battery and see if you still get the flicker. I think you will find that you don't. The installer may have taped power to a line that powers 1 of the computers in the car and this will cause all sorts of problems. This may also be why your I-drive control is having problems from noise. Moving the I-drive in 1 clean motion 6-3 should change the videos. You can also disable the videos you are not using so you don't get a black screen when changing videos. Feel free to call me at 718-763-7367.
Thanks Dominic www.TVandNav2Go.com

Originally Posted by AussieBimmer' post='356326' date='Nov 15 2006, 04:34 AM

Quick Reply: Video Interface / iDrive Module fitted - report