E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Very close on my dension but......

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have everything hooked up on my dension but I don't have any display on my head unit nor any lasting sound. I say lasting sound because when I was toggling the aux switch, I could hear a little snippet from the Ipod. I checked the dip switches and went back over the connections but no joy. However, I was told by the car shop I purchased the device from that the CDC changer has to be able to play MP3's in order for it to be a plug and play. I thought it only need to be the in dash capable of playing MP3's with text. Which is correct? This may help in figuring this out. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by madfox' post='815876' date='Mar 13 2009, 11:11 AM
I have everything hooked up on my dension but I don't have any display on my head unit nor any lasting sound. I say lasting sound because when I was toggling the aux switch, I could hear a little snippet from the Ipod. I checked the dip switches and went back over the connections but no joy. However, I was told by the car shop I purchased the device from that the CDC changer has to be able to play MP3's in order for it to be a plug and play. I thought it only need to be the in dash capable of playing MP3's with text. Which is correct? This may help in figuring this out. Thanks.

Only your dash should place MP3s not CDC. Do you have Nav?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i

Originally Posted by madfox' post='815876' date='Mar 13 2009, 02:11 PM
which year is your car?

Did you have an IPOD Software installed? or does your CD player play mp3's?

It all depends on what software you have on your car first.

And after that, you have to set the DIP switches on the dension 500 itself.

I believe for most of us, its two of the first dip switches UP, and the rest are down, going from Left to right direction.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

I do not have Nav. I have the top two switches up and everything else down. I will check and see what software version I have on the car. But I didn't think that had anything to do with the dension. I have re-read many of these threads and it seems that I only need the in dash to play MP3's. Here is a little amplyfing info: When I move the toggle switch to CDC/standby, the CDC works. On 3 separate occasions, I have heard the Ipod playing for about a second. I can plug the ipod up and it will read Dension 500 on the ipod. The Ipod also charges when it is hooked up so it is getting power. I am sure it is something small but I can't figure it out.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i

Originally Posted by madfox' post='815940' date='Mar 13 2009, 03:15 PM
I do not have Nav. I have the top two switches up and everything else down. I will check and see what software version I have on the car. But I didn't think that had anything to do with the dension. I have re-read many of these threads and it seems that I only need the in dash to play MP3's. Here is a little amplyfing info: When I move the toggle switch to CDC/standby, the CDC works. On 3 separate occasions, I have heard the Ipod playing for about a second. I can plug the ipod up and it will read Dension 500 on the ipod. The Ipod also charges when it is hooked up so it is getting power. I am sure it is something small but I can't figure it out.

I had something similar when i first installed it. sat there for an hour or two mad and dissapointed that its not working till i fiddled with the dip switches. and also check CD5 (MP35). That is where you can get to the main menu.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Check the fiber optic line and make sure the light is going in the right direction, I had a similar problem when mine was installed.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

My car is an 06 and I don't know what software is installed. I can't select CD5 because the CDC works when the toggle switch is in the CDC/standby mode. When I move it to gateway, I get nothing. I will go back and check my fiber optic connections.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Members

Okay, I went back and put the first dip switch down and hit the reset button and it will play from the ipod, but there is no text. When I put the first two dip switches up, CD1-CD-6 is greyed out and I get nothing. Any guesses? Once again, I can put a mp3 in the single disc slot and see the title and artist on the tracks, so I am text capable.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

'cuz dip sw #1 is related to text capable... up/on w/ text down/off non-text... if you follow install instruction type 2a...
Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Members

After going back and re-reading as much as I could stand on the Dension, with my set-up (single slot text capable in dash unit w no nav) I need to have the ipod interface in order to get text. So my question is do I need the entire part or do I just need the car programmed for the ipod interface? If I am on the wrong track (wouldn't be the first time today) somebody point me in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Very close on my dension but......