E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Velocity Booster - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i | Sport Package | PDC | Full OEM M-Tech | Logic 7 | Cold Weather Package | Tint - 20% Front 5% Rear | RPI Scoop | BMC Filter | Matte Black Grille | Magnaflow 14816 | Velocity Booster | Hawk HPS pads | Miro 111

What's happening fellas and ladies?!

Long time lurker....first time poster. Please be gentle =)

So courtesy of Eric over at PYSpeed, I just received, installed, and tested the Velocity booster in my '04 545i. I thought my ride was nice before, now she's a freak of nature. LOL. My heart was about to explode through my chest during the first minute after install....not because of the great throttle response, but because my baby was telling me I had an Engine Malfunction. So I pulled along the side of the road, shut her off, and started her back up. Error-free, I got back on the road and started messing with the various levels.

OMG. The feel of the throttle at [1] is just about perfect and the 'lag' is virtually gone.....[2] might be my daily setting.....[3] brings an ear-to-ear smile on my face =)......and [4] gets a bit crazy. Yes, it takes a bit to adjust to these sensitivity settings, but the responsiveness is so much better than pre-Velocity. Without the Velocity, getting on the throttle gave me and my passengers a nice neck snap. The Velocity at setting [3] & [4] may have to be limited to solo trips or those passengers with strong necks. LOL. I just love how this car pushes me into my seat.

On the technical side, install was simple (this coming from an amateur car guy). I know previous customers have complained about the length of wire that came with theirs, but I believe this model was revised with a longer wire. Eventually, I'll redo the install and make it a bit cleaner.

Wow, I haven't written this much since the good ol' school days. I gotta take a break....as in break my neck in my 'new' 5er!! =P

On to the pics (iPhone quality).....

Velocity Booster - quick review-img_0153.jpg

Velocity Booster - quick review-img_0188.jpg

Velocity Booster - quick review-img_0191.jpg

Hope you enjoyed...thanks again Eric (great customer service)

Ron
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

nice write-up.. have fun!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to own one but afraid of the engine malfunction will come back to haunt me. I had past experiences with ECU reflash and the malfunction and the dealer had to replace my fuel pump,so i'm little skeptical about the velocity.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i | Sport Package | PDC | Full OEM M-Tech | Logic 7 | Cold Weather Package | Tint - 20% Front 5% Rear | RPI Scoop | BMC Filter | Matte Black Grille | Magnaflow 14816 | Velocity Booster | Hawk HPS pads | Miro 111

Originally Posted by Cwest' post='1061049' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:40 PM
I would like to own one but afraid of the engine malfunction will come back to haunt me. I had past experiences with ECU reflash and the malfunction and the dealer had to replace my fuel pump,so i'm little skeptical about the velocity.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences C. Before I pulled the trigger on the Velocity, I looked into the Sprint Booster, Dinan Stage I and the Singh Tune. I noticed everyone and their mom started selling off their Sprint Boosters, so that option was eventually dropped. The prices on the ECU flashes seemed a bit steep. But the Velocity sounded nice with the ability to change settings and the ease of install/re-install if necessary. And when the guys at PYSpeed gave out a coupon code....I said 'why not'?

I'll keep you updated on any 'malfunctions'. *Knocks on wood*

Ron
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ron_doja' post='1061075' date='Nov 23 2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences C. Before I pulled the trigger on the Velocity, I looked into the Sprint Booster, Dinan Stage I and the Singh Tune. I noticed everyone and their mom started selling off their Sprint Boosters, so that option was eventually dropped. The prices on the ECU flashes seemed a bit steep. But the Velocity sounded nice with the ability to change settings and the ease of install/re-install if necessary. And when the guys at PYSpeed gave out a coupon code....I said 'why not'?

I'll keep you updated on any 'malfunctions'. *Knocks on wood*

Ron
Yah, the velocity has all the pluses on my books now i'm just a little worried after the warranty ran out Best of luck and yes keep me posted on malfunctions. And if anyone els has the Velocity please chime in on your review it's much appreciated.

Jack
Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributors

I too have the Velocity and have had the "Engine Malfunction" warning come on several times... since then I have not turned the damn thing on and have been malfunction free.

I still have no idea why this occurs and for my sake, I should sell it before things get worse. My guess is that the sudden jolt of the throttle response somehow causes a misfire in the engine? Still an unsolved mystery. The velocity has not been out for too long therefore it's kinda hard to tell what this thing will do in the long term... i have not heard any complaint about the sprint booster having this problem though so this raises some questions as to how safe this device really is.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 X3 LCI

Nice write up! Welcome to the forums, enjoy!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='1061089' date='Nov 23 2009, 03:57 PM
I too have the Velocity and have had the "Engine Malfunction" warning come on several times... since then I have not turned the damn thing on and have been malfunction free.

I still have no idea why this occurs and for my sake, I should sell it before things get worse. My guess is that the sudden jolt of the throttle response somehow causes a misfire in the engine? Still an unsolved mystery. The velocity has not been out for too long therefore it's kinda hard to tell what this thing will do in the long term... i have not heard any complaint about the sprint booster having this problem though so this raises some questions as to how safe this device really is.
Valid point. Scary, in fact. I'm slowly getting a hang of the 'jolts' off the line. I did notice that being in sport mode, the car seems to NOT know when to downshift. Hopefully, it's just a sign of my car not being used to the Velocity and will 'learn' as I drive more.

I just have to do my best to not abuse this new found power. =)

Ron
Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 2004E60Beemer' post='1061098' date='Nov 23 2009, 04:10 PM
Nice write up! Welcome to the forums, enjoy!
Thank you
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I used to get this Engine Malfunction in my old car with the SB