E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upgrade Path - The new iDrive ComBox!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011 | 08:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Really cool stuff ... had no clue it was so expensive though.
Old 04-14-2011 | 02:38 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60, 530d, M-packet

Originally Posted by Georgieb
My CIC was sent to Patryk for modification programming in order to accommodate the new Combox in exchange for the TCU. I re-installed it yesterday and also added the Combox in the trunk. Now all that is left is programming. Exciting stuff!!
Excellent setup. Tell you pulled from combox USB cable in the armrest? If yes then how stretched the cable and fastened USB connector ..
Old 04-14-2011 | 02:46 AM
Members

Hmm, I wonder if this retrofit would work with my 12/10 build 535i with CIC Navi, HD radio, and Sirrus. If it does and 6NR works also, I'll be picking one up for sure!
Old 04-22-2011 | 06:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cookiesowns
Hmm, I wonder if this retrofit would work with my 12/10 build 535i with CIC Navi, HD radio, and Sirrus. If it does and 6NR works also, I'll be picking one up for sure!
I can add the Combox to your car but the 6NR is not possible in the E6x.
Old 04-22-2011 | 07:57 AM
Members

The CIC is definitely much nicer than the older iDrive version. But having the internet (or other office options) on the iDrive is just a waste of money and time IMHO. Thats what a Blackberry or iPhone are for.

Nonetheless, great and expansive mods!
Old 04-26-2011 | 04:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

The CIC is definitely much nicer than the older iDrive version. But having the internet (or other office options) on the iDrive is just a waste of money and time IMHO. Thats what a Blackberry or iPhone are for.
StasGS4,
I beg to differ. Although I have both a Blackberry Touch and iPhone 4, I have a fairly long drive into the office every morning and the ease-of-use for simple information look-up whiles in the vehicle is better accessible through the iDrive. BMW added this functionality for a reason. When I get into the car in the mornings to leave for the office, This home screen greets me to tell me what kind of day I'm about to have. New emails and TXTs that I receive can also be perused on the iDrive (with a significantly larger screen) rather than fumbling with the hand-held device and driving through traffic. Not to mention, here in Toronto the fines for using a cellular device whiles driving carries stiff penalties. The iDrive is much much more discreet.

I guess at the end of the day, to each, their own. I am definitely one of those that is pro-Combox.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade Path - The new iDrive ComBox!-combox_weather.jpg  
Old 04-26-2011 | 04:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by M3This
Really cool stuff ... had no clue it was so expensive though.
Whats the damage???
Old 04-26-2011 | 04:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mark_hk
Whats the damage???
I can send you a quote if you provide me with your VIN...
You can find my email address in my signature.
Old 05-29-2011 | 11:05 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530xd 2007 LCI Touring

Dear All,

Please advise what wires I need to order for installing combos media on E60 LCI (usb, aux, new plug). I read some wrong information and received absolutely different wires. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-09-2011 | 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: E39 M5, E60 M5 and F06 M6GC
Model Year: 2000/2006/2016

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Thanks Tex_Phil. I feel the same way. The iDrive enhanced software feature-set for this mod is amazing!! Patyrk should be credited for his crazy and continued innovations regarding CiC coding and the likes. What he has brought to the table is just fascinating. In terms of hardware modification, this one was pretty easy.

As I was driving around this morning and receiving TXTs on my Blackberry, associated messages were popping up on my iDrive screen. I was even reading emails from the forums with iDrive. Crazy stuff! Another way to keep myself interested in my E60 and look the other way every time I see an F10 now. Haha
GeorgieB - you seem to be all over the Combox and how it works. Now that I've got mine installed, I'm wondering how to tether my Blackberry to get internet access? What Blackberry model do you use?

Quick Reply: Upgrade Path - The new iDrive ComBox!