E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Up next Chrome Grill

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

OK I have read the many topic's about removing black grill and adding the chrome grill but I want to make sure I got it right. Also I would love some tips from you old pro's.

OK I haven't even looked at the setup under the hood yet, I picked up the car last night and then spent rest of the dark night trying to switch the black things for the euro red reflectors. Back to grill, I am going to take the top piece off (think I read it is held on by like 4 screws??) then the hard part taking off (I think 6 each side) these very easy to break clips that are very hard to take off. any special way you guys took off the clips w/out breaking??? Also I only saw my new grill's in my trunk in the factory bag but it looked plastic also not that major of a change, once I put them on will I be able to tell????

I wish it was like my old GS 400, all I had to do was strip away some black stuff that they had coverd under all that lovely chrome.....
Old 05-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

Hi John,

The chrome grilles makes a huge difference to the look of the car. It is only the leading edge of the vanes that are chromed but the side of the vanes are painted gloss black instead of the basic plastic finish. When you look at your car from the front when you have one chromed grille on and one black grille on it you will be glad you went for the chrome look.

As for swapping out the grilles do a search on the site as this topic has been covered several times before. You don't need to take the front panel apart to get them out but it is a tricky job that requires a bit of care to ensure you don't damage the surrounding paintwork.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 530i Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, alpine 500amp pushing 12" alpine sub in the trunk, MTech pedals, 30% tint.

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='May 19 2005, 09:03 AM
Hi John,

The chrome grilles makes a huge difference to the look of the car. It is only the leading edge of the vanes that are chromed but the side of the vanes are painted gloss black instead of the basic plastic finish. When you look at your car from the front when you have one chromed grille on and one black grille on it you will be glad you went for the chrome look.

As for swapping out the grilles do a search on the site as this topic has been covered several times before. You don't need to take the front panel apart to get them out but it is a tricky job that requires a bit of care to ensure you don't damage the surrounding paintwork.
[snapback]130575[/snapback]

Does any one have some pics of the chrome grill on a silver car??? would like to see what it looks like. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

i put chrome grill on black metalick and it is so coollll
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Flowerfred has them on his silver car. If you do a search on his posts he has some pics of before and after.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 AM
Members

Here is installation instruction for removing and replacing the front grills.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

When you look at your car from the front when you have one chromed grille on and one black grille on it you will be glad you went for the chrome look.
Only if you like chrome. I just removed my chrome grills and kidneys, and replaced them with black grills and I painted the kidneys to match the car. I hate chrome.... and prefer the look of my painted kindeys much better. So much more sporty looking, IMO. Plus, I just love the unique look I get compared to everyone else.

Here is installation instruction for removing and replacing the front grills.
LOL.... those instructions are worthless.

Removing the grills is not easy. The top 3 clips can be accessed by removing the rubber seal which is located at the front of the engine compartment. This will make the 3 top clips easy to see, and unlock. The bottom 2 clips are also fairly easy to reach with your fingers.

It's the two side clips that are a bitch. In order to get them without breaking is very hard. To take mine out, I unscrewed the 5 Torx screws that attach the bumper to the top of the engine compartment. Then I pulled the bumper off as far as I could and reached inside to unclip one of the side clips. Then I intentionally broke off the other side clip to remove the grill. Once one grill was out... I could then just reach inside that opening and unclip the other grill without breaking any clips on that one.

The clips are not all that important. As long as you have the tops and bottoms, you're in good shape.

Honestly, I recommend breaking off the side clips. They serve no useful purpose, and it makes future removal easier without them.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by atthecopa' date='May 19 2005, 03:06 AM
Does any one have some pics of the chrome grill on a silver car???? would like to see what it looks like.? Thanks.
[snapback]130577[/snapback]
mine is silver gray. let me know if you still want to see the pic . or you can simply browse through the gallery .
Old 05-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Members

I like the Chrome look on Ti-Silver!! I also have a Custom Built Lower Lip Pieces.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Up next Chrome Grill-100_0968.jpg  
Old 05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Originally Posted by Chi-Town Racing' date='May 20 2005, 05:12 PM
I like the Chrome look on Ti-Silver!! I also have a Custom Built Lower Lip Pieces.

Let me know if you have any questions.
[snapback]131321[/snapback]

Hey that's my car! Check local NYC meet part 2 post's 27 and 28.

SubterFuse, we're not all as cool as you!

Maybe i should paint my chromes Titanium silver i'll be the second one.

Quick Reply: Up next Chrome Grill