E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Umnitza Bumper Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a road debris accident with my 545i. Bumper needed to be replaced and I decided to freshen up the look with an Umnitza M Tech bumper. Love the look.

From the photos you can see the bumper sits too low by about 1/8?. When I discussed it with the body shop they indicated that this was as high as they could adjust it. I told them it needs further adjustment and will be taking it back in Monday.

I was hoping someone who has hung their own or works in a body shop that installs them regularly has run across this problem and knows what the fix is.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Umnitza Bumper Adjustment-umnitza-front-view.jpg   Umnitza Bumper Adjustment-umnitza-side-view.jpg  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

are you referring to the gap between the hood and the bumper? you may be able to put some washers on those mounting points to raise it up a little.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mo858
are you referring to the gap between the hood and the bumper? you may be able to put some washers on those mounting points to raise it up a little.
Thanks for reply. Yes, gap between hood and bumper and gap between bumper and fenders.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Members

Take it to another shop for a better opinion. It's hard to diagnose something like that by guessing at a photo.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I installed my bumpers (by myself I might add lol) and didn't encounter this gap you speak of. Mine turned out really well with no gaps at the hood and fender. Although, I have heard how some, not all get this gap after install.

If I'm not mistaken there is a thick horizontal foam piece at the front of the bumper. I've read how some had to shave/cut a little of this foam to eliminate the gap. Have your shop take a look at that and make the necessary adjustments. I didn't shave nor cut anything; I just made sure this foam section was positioned and "tucked" appropriately inside my bumper. My guess is this foam piece is not "tucked" right and probably pushing your bumper forward causing the top to come down, thus exposing a gap. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I installed my bumpers (by myself I might add lol) and didn't encounter this gap you speak of. Mine turned out really well with no gaps at the hood and fender. Although, I have heard how some, not all get this gap after install.

If I'm not mistaken there is a thick horizontal foam piece at the front of the bumper. I've read how some had to shave/cut a little of this foam to eliminate the gap. Have your shop take a look at that and make the necessary adjustments. I didn't shave nor cut anything; I just made sure this foam section was positioned and "tucked" appropriately inside my bumper. My guess is this foam piece is not "tucked" right and probably pushing your bumper forward causing the top to come down, thus exposing a gap. Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks very much for your reply! Foam piece interference makes sense and we'll try tucking first and then shaving if necessary.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Contributors

I had the same issue for quite some time and used this thread below to have mine properly reinstalled. Read through to the end and you'll see that most of us didn't know the MTech front bumper has different foam pads from the regular bumper. You can either shave/cut them so that they line up as designed by BMW or replace the foam pads with the correct ones. I went with the latter option because they're really not that expensive. Around $45 I think? You'll see the part numbers listed in the thread, but confirm them with your year just in case.

Mine is perfect now and I'm extremely happy that it now looks like it was always supposed to! Nice and smooth and everything lines up perfectly. If you can see the "lip" from the bumper under your headlights then it's too low. Everything is supposed to be snug and tucked in. Just in case anyone else is interested, my top tier body shop I'm using for everything else with my project only charged $75 to take off my bumper, replace the pads, and reinstalI. I thought that was easy money spent for what I received in return. They didn't have to align or adjust anything because it fit like a glove the first time. My thanks to those who contributed to this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...-m-kit-bumper/
Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M
I had the same issue for quite some time and used this thread below to have mine properly reinstalled. Read through to the end and you'll see that most of us didn't know the MTech front bumper has different foam pads from the regular bumper. You can either shave/cut them so that they line up as designed by BMW or replace the foam pads with the correct ones. I went with the latter option because they're really not that expensive. Around $45 I think? You'll see the part numbers listed in the thread, but confirm them with your year just in case.

Mine is perfect now and I'm extremely happy that it now looks like it was always supposed to! Nice and smooth and everything lines up perfectly. If you can see the "lip" from the bumper under your headlights then it's too low. Everything is supposed to be snug and tucked in. Just in case anyone else is interested, my top tier body shop I'm using for everything else with my project only charged $75 to take off my bumper, replace the pads, and reinstalI. I thought that was easy money spent for what I received in return. They didn't have to align or adjust anything because it fit like a glove the first time. My thanks to those who contributed to this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...-m-kit-bumper/
Whoa! .... YOU DA MAN !!!!

I knew there must be some reason it didn't line up correctly. Body shop said they were very impressed at how well made the bumper was.

I will get the foam pieces on order Monday. What really surprises me is that Umnitza doesn't point this out, put them in the kit, or at least offer them for sale separately. Coming out of China I'm guessing the cost would be $4-$5.

Thank you very much.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi black

Looks good, just wondering if you only did the front or the whole kit, and if you only did the front does it blend well with the rest of the car or should you just get the whole kit
Old 07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Frank and Beamer
Looks good, just wondering if you only did the front or the whole kit, and if you only did the front does it blend well with the rest of the car or should you just get the whole kit
That is the $64,000 question.

My bumper cover needed to be replaced and this unit (with Xenon fogs) was the same as the cost of the repair shop acquiring a recycled stock bumper cover. I added the Xenon fogs as an after thought because I didn't like the yellow color of my stock fog lights with the Xenon headlamps. But I am amazed at the optical quality and power. These babies kick a$$.

On the one hand I, like you, am used to seeing the package complete with front and rear bumpers and side skirts. If it were a huge heavy ground effects racing style bumper with a large lip then it would probably look pasted on. But having looked at it for a couple of days my current opinion is that it is subtle enough to integrate well into the stock body.

The good part is if I later change my opinion and get the itch to do the rear bumper and side skirts they can be easily added, without disturbing what has been done to date.

I have also purchased an M5 style spoiler for the trunk lid and will share full car photos when it is complete.

Thanks for your feedback.

Quick Reply: Umnitza Bumper Adjustment