E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

UK Insurance Policy

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006 | 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Question for UK E60 owners,

As you know one of the common question being asked when quoting motor insurance is "Has the car's body work or alloy wheels been modified in anyway?"

If I want to upgrade my wheel to a higher spec BMW wheels or installing the M kit through authorized BMW dealer (I know they sub it out anyway). Do I need to declare my car has been modified? Or will I get away with it as they are manufacturing standard parts?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='251134' date='Mar 7 2006, 03:48 PM
Question for UK E60 owners,

As you know one of the common question being asked when quoting motor insurance is "Has the car's body work or alloy wheels been modified in anyway?"

If I want to upgrade my wheel to a higher spec BMW wheels or installing the M kit through authorized BMW dealer (I know they sub it out anyway). Do I need to declare my car has been modified? Or will I get away with it as they are manufacturing standard parts?

Thanks
If your installing mkit then I think you'll HAVE to tell them it's been modified.

UK insurance companies have TEAMS of people who's sole job is to find ways to avoid paying out against claims.

Insurance law places requirements on customers to fully disclose ANY relevant information to the insurer, even if they don't ask for it.

So for instance, if you change the wheels then 'right it off' in a crash, they could use your failure to disclose as a reason to pay you NOTHING.

Don't take the chance.
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Thanks for the quick reply, so does that means if I've added Sat Nav, Sunroof, and sports steering wheel (anything which are optional add on from standard) I've to declare otherwise I'm at risk?
Old 03-07-2006 | 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mario.kwok' post='251150' date='Mar 7 2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, so does that means if I've added Sat Nav, Sunroof, and sports steering wheel (anything which are optional add on from standard) I've to declare otherwise I'm at risk?
OK as far as I understand any optional extras fitted to the car prior to original delivery should be fine so long as they are part of the manufacturers standard range.

The insurers just want to know the model designation.

e.g. If it's a 520d it will either be a 520d ES; 520d SE or 520d Sport (with mkit)

Anything you do to the car AFTER delivery is a modification, so if you fit nav, leather, aftermarket wheels, spoilers or anything else then you should make sure you mention it when you set up your insurance.

Basically - as long as you are completely truthful, then your OK, if you have a claim and a loss adjuster finds you have fibbed about ANYTHING, they can pull the plug and pay you nothing.
Old 03-07-2006 | 02:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

I have found that alternative OE wheels are accepted by even mod-averse companies (like mine). Bodykit - different kettle of fish.

I was told that Royal Sun Alliance are 'wheel friendly' and A Plan and Adrian Flux can quote for either minor or major mods at reasonable prices in my experience.