E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Two new mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

So just did couple more things to my car
Add the H&R sway bar (got the front one installed,waiting for the correct sway bar for the rear). Turn in is definitely tighter. With the aftermarket pring and shock it's not bad, but with the sway bar added I think it brings it to another level. I do notice the rear end is not as stable when I go very fast on the on ramp, hopefully the rear sway bar would help out.

The other one is a cheap but yet very satisfying mod. For those of you with manual, highly recommend changing the shift knob to the m-sport short shift knob (used in the Z4 M i think). Only cost ~$60 from Garry and the weighted short shift knob makes shifting even smoother, and I like the look of the leather knob more than the OEM.

Next up, AFE CAI =) Thinking about a remap but I probably would save that for later..

And yes I am too lazy to take pictures, those of you in the bay area feel free to check them out.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Sounds Great! I would have loved to see the pictures of your new shifter.
Was the H&R bar noticably larger diameter than the stock one?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

24.6mm( .97inch)front, rear is 14mm (1/2 inch) stock for non sport

and the H&R is 27mm(1.06 inch) front & 19mm (3/4 inch) rear

in comparison the M5 has 26.5mmFR, 18mmR
Old 04-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

update us when rear is on
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='556035' date='Apr 4 2008, 08:09 AM
Sounds Great! I would have loved to see the pictures of your new shifter.
Was the H&R bar noticably larger diameter than the stock one?
Take a look at this, it's the same one I have (my boot is black so it matches a little better)
it's about 1" shorter and quite a bit heavier, so shifting is better and the shape fits the hands better

The front sway bar actually is about the same diameter as the stock front, the big difference is the weight. the new bar is like 15lbs (probably solid steel), whereas the OEM one seems hollow and light (maybe 5-6 lbs in comparison). I definitely recommend this mod too. And for installation it's quite straight forward. I was cheap and went on craigslist and search for a mechanic that does it as side job. All the performance quotes over $200 to install, saying it takes 2 hrs. It really only takes 1 hour or less. My rear one turns out to be the incorrect part so we spend like 10 mins trying to fiddle around and see how it can possibly fit. Then he reinstall the stock rear one and it's done in just one hour. I watched him do it and it's very simple.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

forgot to add the link for the pictures of the shifter:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=shift+knob
Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Why don't you come out to our Cajun Crab House Meet dinner tonight? It's been a while since we've seen you and your car. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52673&st=0

It's in San Jose.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice choice of mods. ive been looking around for a different shifter as well.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

tony, how's the CCH meet last Friday? one of these days I would love to join but got two kids to take care of...

just got my rear sway bar install, the rear does seem tighter but haven't done much cornering yet, will keep you guys posted
the install is so quick, i am in and out in like 20 mins for the rear install
tirerack mistakenly send me another front one, unbeliveable.... basically they send me the wrong rear, i ask them to reship me the right rear, and yesterday i find two boxes with one front and one rear...

highly recommend this mod, install is quick and cheap and you do notice the improvement in handling
i confess that once i get back in my car it feels tighter without even driving off the lot, haha must be some placebo effect...
but really, the front really helps, will have more turns to test out the new rear.

anyone in the bay area interested in checking out the front sway bar, i have an extra one sitting around that i will be sending it back to tirerack. if you are getting it, you can save on some time and shipping (~$20)

nerweezy, if you are thinking about a new manual shifter, i higher recommend the one i got. not only it's shorter, but it's weighted and the contour fits the hand better, plus it's only ~$65 plus shipping from Garry. part no is 25117905310
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by kchan' post='558741' date='Apr 9 2008, 02:06 PM
nerweezy, if you are thinking about a new manual shifter, i higher recommend the one i got. not only it's shorter, but it's weighted and the contour fits the hand better, plus it's only ~$65 plus shipping from Garry. part no is 25117905310
thanks man, but i have a step.

Quick Reply: Two new mods