E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Turn Inner Headlights into Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 540i M Sports with professional pack (2007 Mode Year and MSport option in US Speak)

Hi everyone.

I have a 2006 5 series with HID headlights, which on Aus spec cars means that the inner pair of headlights are only used for headlight flashing. I would like to convert them so that they are on with the high beam as well. We have a holiday cottage we go to most weekends which is about 50km of very narrow, deserted road, and we mostly go afterdark on Frdiays and come home after dark on Sundays. I find that after my previous car, which also had zennons (four of them), the BMW's high beam is a little weak to what I expected. If am thinking of putting an aftermarket zennon kit into the inner pair of lights if I can find the info I need. I know all about the fact that using zennons on high beam can shorten their life because of constantly turning them on and off, but we have zennon high beams on all our other cars and have'nt yet experienced a bulb failure. I would rather pay for a replacement globe every now and then and have a better high beam spread than to stay with a factory highbeam setup if I feel it needs to be better. I really am surprised with the BMW zennon high beam, the dealer says its normal, and although its not bad, it isn't Great, which is what I was expecting.

I know basically how to do the job, but I am wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so, are their any traps to be aware of. I specifically need to know if anyone can tell me where or what wire I need to tap into to find a high beam +12V source wire for a relay. In an ordinary car I wouldn't have a problem, but I'm just a bit hesitant because of the BMW electronics. I do have the necessary skills to eventually figure it out myself, but it would be easier if anyone can offer help......

Thanks in advance

Darryl
Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I could be wrong but I'm not sure anyone has done something like this before.

Why? Because I'm willing to be that most people with the Bi-Xenon lights on an E60 find them more than just "great"...they're fantastic. You could land airplanes with them when they're on!

On my 2004 car, the inner, flash to pass lights wouldn't have added anything if they were illuminated while the high beams were on since the high beams far outdistanced the weaker halogens. As far as wear and tear on the bulbs, keep in mind that when you go from low to high beams on an Bi-Xenon E60, you don't illuminate a new bulb, the car simply flips up a shutter to allow the full output of the outer beams to project out. Again, on my car, the illumination is quite amazing.

I'm not sure I understand why you're not happy with the performance of your lights -- maybe they're not aimed properly or they're not operating to specifications somehow?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 540i M Sports with professional pack (2007 Mode Year and MSport option in US Speak)

Thanks Rudi,

I have had my dealer check them a couple of times and they are aimed correctly etc. I am aware of the shutter on the high beam for the factory HID's. I was referring to the probable replies about bulb life if I use after market Zennons in the inner lights and just didn't want a whole heap of replies telling me this.

There is also a possibility that our ADR (design rules) have something to do with it. I'm not sure exacly why, but the Aus spec zennons on current model BM's are just not as good as I've experienced in previous models. I understand you point with your experience but suspect that the US spec cars have differences to the Aus delivered ones.

The high beam on my car (540i Msports - a model you don't get in the current range) is, as I have said, good but not as good as the previous car and more than a little dispointing.

It's hard to describe the problem, the range is fine, but the actual illumination becomes weak to soon. It's hard to clearly define what is at the mid to end of range, and remember I'm comparing this to another Zennon equipped earlier model BM 5 series. Maybe the best description is that they lack good penetration ??

Anyway, thanks Rudi for replying, maybe this is an issue worth investigating, are the HID's on Aus cars down graded for any reason ??

Oh, as an afterthought, we also have a VE HSV GTS Commodore (www.hsv.com.au) - which next year will become your Chev GTO by the way - and it's high beam out distances the BM's substantialy and it only has Halogens. It's not what I would have thought.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What other 5-series did you like the lights on? Was it an E39? My E39 had Xenons (low-beam only) and they were clearly not as good as the ones on the E60...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Members

Hey Rudi,

Aus Spec E39 5 Series with Zennons (and it had a much better high beam).

Rudi, I think you are missing my point. I accept that your US delivered 550I has great highbeams and that your experience has been that your previous cars have also had great lights.

My previous E39 had what I considered was a great high beam as well, it's just that my new E60 isn't as good as the E39 was and I don't know why.

It's also concerning that the service advisor who took mine home for a night to check out the high beam says that everything is normal and just the same as other new E60's. He didn't comment when I said that I thought the E39's were much better. As we are talking about different markets in differing countries, could it not be that for some reason (maybe new Australian Design Rules - ADR's) which have only just recently been updated to cover zennon lights as OEM equipment are the cause. Previously there have been no ADR's that cover Zennons so perhaps when they decided to create a rule for HID lights, they have forced some manufacturers to actually downgrade the zennons they were fitting.

This brings me back to my original post. If my E60's high beam is at factory standard, which it seems to be, then I need additional lighting for my car, either by add on driving lights, or by modifying the inner headlights to become zennon equipped and come on with the high beam. I just need to know where I could find a source wire that would go to 12v + when the high beams were on.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrobin' post='451073' date='Jul 23 2007, 09:43 AM
Hey Rudi,

Aus Spec E39 5 Series with Zennons (and it had a much better high beam).

Rudi, I think you are missing my point. I accept that your US delivered 550I has great highbeams and that your experience has been that your previous cars have also had great lights.

My previous E39 had what I considered was a great high beam as well, it's just that my new E60 isn't as good as the E39 was and I don't know why.

It's also concerning that the service advisor who took mine home for a night to check out the high beam says that everything is normal and just the same as other new E60's. He didn't comment when I said that I thought the E39's were much better. As we are talking about different markets in differing countries, could it not be that for some reason (maybe new Australian Design Rules - ADR's) which have only just recently been updated to cover zennon lights as OEM equipment are the cause. Previously there have been no ADR's that cover Zennons so perhaps when they decided to create a rule for HID lights, they have forced some manufacturers to actually downgrade the zennons they were fitting.

This brings me back to my original post. If my E60's high beam is at factory standard, which it seems to be, then I need additional lighting for my car, either by add on driving lights, or by modifying the inner headlights to become zennon equipped and come on with the high beam. I just need to know where I could find a source wire that would go to 12v + when the high beams were on.
Check if any dust mixed with humidity has built on Xenon mirror/focuses. I replaced last year my headlights due to a faulty motor and the new ones were performed significantly brighter than the old ones. (with the old xenon bulbs and ballasts) You may can see the somehow "fuzzy" surface behind the xenon focus when you look at it carefully.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Maybe install more powerful after market Xenons bulbs? I remember reading somewhere that this could just increase the glare and give the perception of improved lighting when in fact it is reduced due to glare. I'm already getting on coming cars flashing at me cuz I think my Xenons are too bright for them.

As a long shot, are you sure the auto head light sensor is not turning the high beam off without you realising it??
Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Originally Posted by redrobin' post='451055' date='Jul 23 2007, 06:17 AM
Hi everyone.

I have a 2006 5 series with HID headlights, which on Aus spec cars means that the inner pair of headlights are only used for headlight flashing. I would like to convert them so that they are on with the high beam as well. We have a holiday cottage we go to most weekends which is about 50km of very narrow, deserted road, and we mostly go afterdark on Frdiays and come home after dark on Sundays. I find that after my previous car, which also had zennons (four of them), the BMW's high beam is a little weak to what I expected. If am thinking of putting an aftermarket zennon kit into the inner pair of lights if I can find the info I need. I know all about the fact that using zennons on high beam can shorten their life because of constantly turning them on and off, but we have zennon high beams on all our other cars and have'nt yet experienced a bulb failure. I would rather pay for a replacement globe every now and then and have a better high beam spread than to stay with a factory highbeam setup if I feel it needs to be better. I really am surprised with the BMW zennon high beam, the dealer says its normal, and although its not bad, it isn't Great, which is what I was expecting.

I know basically how to do the job, but I am wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so, are their any traps to be aware of. I specifically need to know if anyone can tell me where or what wire I need to tap into to find a high beam +12V source wire for a relay. In an ordinary car I wouldn't have a problem, but I'm just a bit hesitant because of the BMW electronics. I do have the necessary skills to eventually figure it out myself, but it would be easier if anyone can offer help......

Thanks in advance

Darryl
I?m with you!
I think the highbeam suck in compere with my old Saab 9-5 aero 2005 bi-xenon and hlogen highbem!
Any news about getting Xenons in the innerlamps???

//Martin