E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Turbo whistle - comment from BMW service

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I'd rather not have run-flats, but without a spare wheel, normal tyres an dmotorway driving would be risky. Don't want to be stranded with a blown tyre sometime, and not have a spare.

Thought about getting a spare. In fact it's probably no more expensive to buy normal tyres and a spare, instead of a set of run-flats.

BMW wanted more than ?500 just for 2 tyres. I don't like the Goodyears that are currently fitted, and I haven't heard any good reports of other run-flats. A pity that Continental or Michelin don't do tyres to fit the rims.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Members

Hi. I have a 535D remaped by Upsolute (Competition to DMS) in Spain. I am very happy about the result in terms of performance, diesel consumption and lack of smoke.

One month later I took it to a local power and torque dyno race checking company as to measure the results.

Everything was OK but...while the test was running, at maximum acceleration, the noise impressed me so much. It was not only a whistle but an aeroplane jet noise. You would get scared about it.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='227527' date='Jan 21 2006, 08:13 PM
I'd rather not have run-flats, but without a spare wheel, normal tyres an dmotorway driving would be risky. Don't want to be stranded with a blown tyre sometime, and not have a spare.

Thought about getting a spare. In fact it's probably no more expensive to buy normal tyres and a spare, instead of a set of run-flats.

BMW wanted more than ?500 just for 2 tyres. I don't like the Goodyears that are currently fitted, and I haven't heard any good reports of other run-flats. A pity that Continental or Michelin don't do tyres to fit the rims.
I found a supplier of Goodyear Eagle F1's, which IMO are one of the best summer tyres you can get, for just under ?500 for a set of 4, http://ssl.delti.com/mytires/start.html even with the spare wheel kit at ?150, that's a complete change to non Run Flats for less than the cost of replacing those awfull Goodyear NCT R/F's.

Appologies mods for going off topic.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='227527' date='Jan 21 2006, 08:13 PM

It's about ?160-180 for the retro-fit space-saver and jack kit... But then you've got a choice of so many better tyres! Losing the runflats vastly improves the whole driving experience from ride to grip...