E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Turbo whistle - comment from BMW service

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

wizsmaster - you have VW TDI in the USA? wow, I didn't know that.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

more boost = turbine spinning faster ....
most of the time if you hear the dentist drill sound if the turbine wheel is about to break off the shaft & grining against the turbo housing ... causing metal shavings to get everywhere. you will hear a loud POPing sound, and instant loss of power when trying to accelerate if the shaft breaks & the turbine will probably look like this:

sometimes your tubine wheel will look like that if you suck in debris & shred it ... but i'd doubt that bmw would allow that to happen - & I doubt anybody here takes the air intake off their $45K-$75K cars or installs CAI's on them .. lol

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='222033' date='Jan 10 2006, 09:04 AM
wizsmaster - you have VW TDI in the USA? wow, I didn't know that.
i used to, yes.

VW brings the now PD 100HP version to the US ... i believe the passat should be here with the 150HP version end of summer!!! can't wait for that.

the only other cdi/tdi/diesel cars here are the VW Bug (same 100hp PD), VW Touareg V10 TDI, MB E320 CDI & Jeep Liberty - other than large Dodge/Ford/Chevy/Commercial trucks.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

wow. TDI in USA amazing. I'm sure it is very tough marketing there to force all the Americans to believe that 1.9 TDI PD will actually drive much more better then some V8 5.0 bastard
Old 01-10-2006, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

I agree about the points where:
1. You have to be gentle with the car when the engine is cold, not to floor it. But that is basicly a law in all kind of engines, not only on turbos. Sure turboed engines may be more senstitive to that treatment.

2. You have to let the engine running for a few minutes after DRIVING HARD with your turboed engine. Explanation is above. All i want to underline is that when u drive the car hard. That doesn't mean that at every run when u bearly jump over 2000 rpm, at the end u have to do it.

About turbo whistle i can say that the whistle is not so there in my 535d compared to other cars (vw, audi). In my vw passat the whistle was there from day one and i didn't have any problems with the turbo.....................except when i had to change the debitmeter(i think this is how it's called, the thing that regulates the air into the turbo). I then talked to the engineers and told me that this part may have to be replaced from time to time on diesel engines.
Do bmw's diesels suffer from this?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Bettermakeway I know what are you talking about with that debimeter. It regulates the air and it is such a common problem to VW/Audi TDI engines like changing tires. Basicaly everybody I know with TDI had to replace that part sooner or later. I guess VW/Audi puts the part there so they could just make money. The funniest part is that it is just a plug and play little chip and it breaks down so much. I think it cost like 200EUr wtf
Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

My 218bhp 530d had a very loud turbo whistle. Could really hear it with windows down and i used to love it. My 535d has no turbo whistle at all.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

My car has done 18,500 miles. The whistle can only be heard with the window down. Not sure if that means it's loud or now.

You hear the whistle even at low revs and low throttle. With other diesels, I haven't noticed the whistle at low revs.

I don't drive the car too very hard, and get an average 35 MPG. So whilst the turbo works a bit harder from the remap, it's nothing like if the car was driven hard.

I'm also quite aware of running on a cold engine, as well as rundown from hot.

I suspect that it's just the normal whistle, but at lower revs/throttle than normal. Still not sure what I should do. Will call DMS and see what they say.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Can hear whistle only sometimes when lift my foot from gas pedal (whoosss phiuuuf) and then acceleration continues... But not in normal use... at least not inside of the car.

Skaffa
Old 01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='222214' date='Jan 10 2006, 03:09 PM
My car has done 18,500 miles. The whistle can only be heard with the window down. Not sure if that means it's loud or now.

You hear the whistle even at low revs and low throttle. With other diesels, I haven't noticed the whistle at low revs.

I don't drive the car too very hard, and get an average 35 MPG. So whilst the turbo works a bit harder from the remap, it's nothing like if the car was driven hard.

I'm also quite aware of running on a cold engine, as well as rundown from hot.

I suspect that it's just the normal whistle, but at lower revs/throttle than normal. Still not sure what I should do. Will call DMS and see what they say.
well in this case I guess the best would be actualy try to drive the same car or at least the same engine and you will see. I know that turbo can be checked via computer without any assemly. I had technician driving my Audi TDI with laptop hooked to the car so they could see all the air pressures, intakes, rpms....etc....
But again the car has to be driven while checking for this. Simple error list reading at the garage will not show damaged turbo obviously.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Got my car back today. Turbo replaced under warranty. No idea what the problem was, as all seemed to be working fine.

Apparently there was a faulty exhaust sensor done too. Perhaps it's related.

Quick Reply: Turbo whistle - comment from BMW service