E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Turbo whistle - comment from BMW service

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Had my first service done today. All went well. Got the iDrive software updated (satnav perspective view now )

When I collected the car they mentioned that they test drove the car, and noticed that there was a lot of turbo whistle. They want to book the car in to inspect it. I wonder if this is due to the DMS remap. Obviously I don't want to waste their time, and/or replace the turbo if they think it's defective and then get a bill if they discover it's had a remap.

Has anyone else had comments like this. Anyone noticed if there's more whistle after a remap. Makes sense, as I'm sure that the remap lets the turbo spin up quicker, and possibly higher boost.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

just a quickie...

i have never observer tsuch a phenomenon on the 530d (stock 218bhp) so i would definitely advice you to have it checked, and also you MUST restore the original engine map of the car ...

Talk to DMS, since you are a client im sure they will put it back for your for ?50-100max... And they should be able to install the original map..

preferably, go to a dealer and pay some money over the counter to get them to update the ecu software, then go back to your dealer to replace the turbo
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I can hear some whistling from my turbo when it's working hard. Don't remember if was like this before the remap or not...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

If I do take it back to BMW, they might just overwrite the mapping back to standard.

I suspect that there's nothing wrong with the turbo.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='221955' date='Jan 10 2006, 08:20 AM
If I do take it back to BMW, they might just overwrite the mapping back to standard.

I suspect that there's nothing wrong with the turbo.
How many miles have you done?

I thought DMS had a 'no-detect' indemnity? I would speak to them pronto!
Old 01-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' post='221736' date='Jan 9 2006, 07:14 PM
Had my first service done today. All went well. Got the iDrive software updated (satnav perspective view now )

When I collected the car they mentioned that they test drove the car, and noticed that there was a lot of turbo whistle. They want to book the car in to inspect it. I wonder if this is due to the DMS remap. Obviously I don't want to waste their time, and/or replace the turbo if they think it's defective and then get a bill if they discover it's had a remap.

Has anyone else had comments like this. Anyone noticed if there's more whistle after a remap. Makes sense, as I'm sure that the remap lets the turbo spin up quicker, and possibly higher boost.

It makes sense that a harder-working turbo might generate more noise. I had an uprated ECU in a turbo car a couple of years ago, and the whistle definitely increased.

Eventually the DV diaphragm split and the car sounded like one of those chav-mobiles hssssssssst-chit! so I swapped it for a steel Forge DV.

Not sure if the BMW DV is metal or rubber diaphragm!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

turbo whislte has nothing to do with the actual DMS remap at the momet.
Turbo whislte means that the turbo will be done sooner or later. I've driven Turbo diesels all my life and actually had like 2 turbos replaced so did some of my friends. All was recognized by whisteling turbos or in one case my friends turbo blew up all the way, which is not good because the oil will mess up the whole exhaust system.
The DMS remap part here is that it help to cut the turbo's life....
That is why I always say no to DMS remap.....
There is pretty much nothing that could fix it. Try to get a new turbo under warranty since turbos are quiet expensive. Don't tell them about the remap.
Your turbo can hold up a year, 2 years, 5 years or a day, it depends. But really whisteling turbo basicaly means that the turbo is getting worn out
Also flooring down a cold diesel engine kills the turbo rapidly.

Maybe I'm wrong, but all I said is based on my personal experince with several cars.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='221991' date='Jan 10 2006, 11:11 AM
Also, a 'cooling down' period is recommended... Not using too much boost before stopping and idling for a minute before turning the engine off. (This was the advice given to me for petrol turbo's but I assume diesel's should be given the same respect!)
Old 01-10-2006, 04:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by colejl' post='222013
Also, a 'cooling down' period is recommended... Not using too much boost before stopping and idling for a minute before turning the engine off. (This was the advice given to me for petrol turbo's but I assume diesel's should be given the same respect!)
[/quote]

correct. Especially after long summer highways rides when you pull to the gas station you should leave the car on for a minute before shutting it off
Old 01-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

how bad is the whistle?

does it sound like a dentist drill? if so, your turbo is shot, or on its way out.

if you have a chip in your car, software tuned - it makes the turbo produce more boost, effectively making the turbo work harder, generally run hotter, and therefor shortening its life cycle.

more fuel + more boost = MORE POWER = = = MORE HEAT!

I've run, modified & worked on turbo cars for the past 6 years ... turbos are ALOT of fun, and are easy to tune .... but there are a few things to watch out for!

1. turbo's are cooled by oil (most) - don't start the engine & floor it - give it a few minutes to warm & liquify the oil so it will actually get cooling.

2. turbos are cooled by oil (most) - when you shut the engine off, the oil will quit flowing - after a hard run, let the engine run "cool down" for a few minutes.
--> they make devices called TURBO TIMERS - i'm not sure how they integrate with the 5 series - but i ran them in my Passat/Jetta/Audi A4.

3. Turbos need COLD air to run efficient - LARGE intercooler

4. Turbo'd cars, especially diesels need to dispurse the HOT air .... generally the bigger the exhaust the better - watch your EGT's - if they get too hot, you will cut the life cycle of your turbo in 1/2 if not kill it within a few months.

in my VW Bora/Jetta TDI (US) 90HP - i ran the large 110HP injectors, 150HP engine map (software), 3" exhaust (NO CAT), 2-1/2" intercooler piping, Boost gauge, EGT Gauge, Modified Air Intake, Water/Alcohol Injection - factory turbo.

Quick Reply: Turbo whistle - comment from BMW service