E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by socale39
Can we get an update West? Any droning?
Hey, sorry guys. I've been offline doing other mod type stuff. If there is drone, it didn't bother me much, and if I understand what djdc78 is talking about, it exists in a specific rpm band.

Originally Posted by djdc78
following west's know how and instruction, i ended up going with the same set up. i really really do like it. initially it had a pretty annoying drone around 1.5K-2K when slowly accelerating and slightly pulling the engine. one of those cabin filling drones, i posted about it but didn't get any responses in making it quieter. it's been a good month or so i think it's broken in as it's lessened and very much less noticeable. what i like about it is that i can almost control how loud i want it, if i'm slowly accelerating, i can almost not hear it, unless it's under a lot of load, but if i open it up, definitely can hear it. no drone, if not very slight, on the highway at cruising speeds which is also cool. i do remember my stock having the slightest bit of drone on the highway which this is similiar to. no feeling of power loss, actually feels a bit more responsive and opens up faster, but that could all be psychological....

all in all, i do like this set up....

thanks for the info west, made it a lot easier for me to decide......
Hey djdc78. Glad it worked out for you. Got photos?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

R&D R&D R&D!!! Great to see people do their own thing especialy when it is against the grain and then come out on top. Congrats West and thanks for the thread socale39! I have more respect for people who try different mods and fail or better yet win than for people who always try to mock them for thinking different. Remember kids it's better to have mod and failed than to not mod at all (as long as you and others don't get hurt).
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

I just ordered the mufflers and bought replica eisenmann tips. I am working on getting some mandrel bent stainless exhaust tubing and now debating whether I want to powdercoat the tips black or not. I'll be sure to post some pics of my progress once I have everything.

djdc78,
Have any pics or videos of your setup?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

Great information on this thread. Curious has anyone explored the RDSport Quad Exhaust from RDSport? They also make headers and race cats too. For the RDSport quad sounds I recall there are some on youtube.

http://www.racdyn.com/Model_Intro.cf...023&e_id=99999
Old 11-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

this is a great DIY.. im looking to do a quad exhaust in spring.. the only question i have is where does everyone get their tips from? and also does anyone know a good shop in NJ to get this done... i live by Atlantic city...closer the better...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Glad this thread came back to life. I have been emailing a few exhaust shops that can do mandrel bending and I may have found a few. I'll be doing the same setup as West however I'll be going full stainless mandrel bent. If not this weekend I'll have everything installed next weekend and I'll be sure to post plenty of pics. Right now I'm just waiting for job quotes to come back
Old 11-12-2010, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Here is the original thread member CRMB created for their 545i project:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/777..._1#entry889964
Wish the pics were still on this thread .

I really liked the time and effort they put into developing their Magnaflow system. Its kind of why I started this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/942...0#entry1114550

I wanted to understand backpressure, high flow cats etc. and just how they setup their system.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Mpkg GT3 HEAVILY Modded.. Nearly all track T-Reg (Wife Mobile) R8 <- Soon

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx
this is a great DIY.. im looking to do a quad exhaust in spring.. the only question i have is where does everyone get their tips from? and also does anyone know a good shop in NJ to get this done... i live by Atlantic city...closer the better...

I ordered all of the components (Magnaflow) for this set-up. I'm waiting for my race shop (does the work on my race cars) to get the time to make the SS piping. I too will post pictures, etc. For those that have had this set-up and/or looking todo it give me an idea of cost for the pipping and labor as my raceshop can be $$ and I want to keep them in line with what a "Muffler shop" would charge. It will be Mandrel bends and Stainless.

As far as the tips I got these custom Carbon Fiber for the exit through the CF Diffuser.
Attached Thumbnails The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.-tips1.jpg   The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.-tips2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 AM
Contributors

ive driven wests car around a bit and i can say that the exhaust is really nice and throaty and it didnt drone from what i could tell

lots of power in the entire rpm band and torque

i was pretty damn impressed
Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Glad to hear that PTL.

I'm really hoping one of the shops I'm talking with can do the exhaust this weekend

Quick Reply: The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.