E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

True Duals on a 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.
Thumbs up

Guys,

I have found a few recent threads where the OP's did some great work in fitting dual quads to their E60 V-8 cars. My car is bone stock as far as exhaust but the idea is of interest to me - having recently taken a stock CPO 2008 M5 stick out for a test drive...that car was fun but actually a bit loud for normal driving. So a few questions come to mind:

1) When you remove the cover plate in the rear just to right of spare tire area where the right muffler/resonator will go, do you find a muffler bracket already fastened up in there or does your shop have to weld something up into the car (scary thought there...)? If so, any details that would help if I want to have a local shop do this?

2) It seems most of the OP's are using the M5 rear bumper cover as a means to get the second opening on the right for exhaust outlets. Knock offs are sold on ebay for $300 so it seems. How close is the 650i rear bumper cover that allows two round exhaust outlets? Using the 650i look appeals to me for the simplicity of only having two separeted exhaust tips instead of four mounted two to a side... Perish the thought but can a skilled body man actually cut out a matching opening on the stock 550i rear cover - then maybe "glass in" an appropriate surround to match the left side? I ask because my car actually came to me with some sort of parking lot bruise (area looks puckered like it backed over a stop and then it got pulled out on as car drove away...) in the cover right where a right-side pipe would exit.

3) What about use of pre-made exhaust kits: I have seen the Magnaflow kit for the M5 or for the 650i - both offer the two-into-two center muffler and then some resonators out at the back - but they claim a HP and torque increase of only 7 or so... Do either of those kits go in easily to our E60 550i cars? If not, what mods are required?

4) What about having a local shop custom bend and install using a proper center muffler, two resonators and appropriate tips - after driving there with a new rear bumper cover in place that allows for left and right exhuast outlets? Dynomax sells the correct mufflers as does Magnaflow.

5) Anything else I am forgetting to ask? I don't want it loud and raucous (I have another car for that sort of fun...) but I do like the look and extra power of a true dual system.