E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Trouble with LED replacement bulb swap for angel eyes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

I got the head light off the car and was following the tutorial that I got from here.

I took the DRL bulb out and then got stuck.

What is that orange thing? I'm guessing its the DRL housing... do I need to remove it to swap out the angel eye bulb?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Platinum Grey Miro 111 19' Black,Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Matte Kidney Grill

that bulb thats hanging.. thats your AE bulb.. It confused me at first too. Just change it out and your good to do. What are you changing it with?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Haha, sorry this made me chuckle a bit. I assume this is your first time taking your headlight out and swapping out the bulbs? It's a little funny to me since it's harder for most people to take out the headlights than it is to swap the bulbs.

In any case, Fast Eddie is correct, take it apart from that gray tab.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME... THATS NOT THE DRL BULB???

FML! Man, that means I could've been DONE. :thumbsdown:

I got that bulb out without taking the head light assembly out. Putting it back in might be a pain though.

I got the Weisslicht bulb.

Thanks a lot. Since I have your attention, can you please view my other thread?

https://5series.net/forums/topic/114...1#entry1356065
Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

I installed both sides in 5 minutes without unscrewing anything. Haha
Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Contributors

Well, DRL for LCI xenon and halogen is different. On the xenons, it's the angel eyes, on the halogen, the DRL is still the high beam at low voltage.

However, this is changeable via coding: to specify halogen's headlights DRL to be angel eyes.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Simon is absolutely correct. The picture above is the DRL/angel eye bulb for LCI (2008+) headlights.

On a side note, here's something funny:

I shipped a member a set of LCI HID Angel eyes and he has factory LCI xenon headlights. He brought it to a shop and the shop was actually arguing with me that I sent the member the wrong kit. He has never seen it and it's not the right one. The "installer" insists that he needs to change the small silver module underneath the headlight for the angel eye. I told him that's the Adaptive Headlight Module and he tells me I'm wrong. Then I tell him the angel eye bulb is the H8 bulb behind the inner cover. The "installer" then says the H8 bulb is the high beam bulb and he installed HUNDREDS of these and I am definitely wrong AND he personally has a car which he just did and it's the wrong bulb. I had to explain to him that it's different and explained the difference between pre-LCI halogen/xenon and LCI halogen/xenon which he still accuses me I am wrong and I sent the member a high beam bulb. THen I got pissed. I lectured him and told him I installed THOUSANDS of these which mesnt that he is wrong and should go learn the difference between an angel eye, low beam, and high beam. The freakin low beam and high beam is the SAME D1S bulb and he refuses to listen what I said. At the end, I told the member to get out of the shop and I will walk him through step by step to install it. Still waiting for the call from the member so he himself can install it instead of someone who cannot tell the different between an angel eye and a low/high beam.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I don't know if anyone has done this already but just a thought. BTW, I've been lurking on this site for over 3 yrs and this is my first post after getting a new 2008 535 with Adaptive Xenon Lights. I have attached a link to LUX h8 E70 AE installation for reference. The bulbs work great in terms of brightness and no OBC error codes for that car. I didn't have any major issues installing that on a 2011 X5 35i. If only this would work on the LCI E60! The two best options for a similar look seems to be either the Orion V2(which means you have to break open the light assembly) or the HID option that John at Motorconcepts suggests. The problem seems to be the actual orange AE bulb holder. If you look at the OP's pics, there is a ridge at the 9 o clock position. This blocks the base from being able to be rotated in. I have contacted LUX a few times begging them(as others have done) to make a new bulb base so all of us E60 LCI folks can get that look we are searching for to no avail. If you look at the E70 bulb holder, it is flat with no ridge at the 9 o clock position. No issues there. So does anyone have any idea if that orange bulb holder on the LCI E60 is removable? If that flange is able to be made level with a dremel tool, this might work ...would this seem like a good idea? Has anyone done this already, does anyone have a DIY? Thanks and apologies for the lenghty post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LUX_H8_Install_X5.pdf (1.39 MB, 228 views)
Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by John@Motorcepts
Simon is absolutely correct. The picture above is the DRL/angel eye bulb for LCI (2008+) headlights.

On a side note, here's something funny:

I shipped a member a set of LCI HID Angel eyes and he has factory LCI xenon headlights. He brought it to a shop and the shop was actually arguing with me that I sent the member the wrong kit. He has never seen it and it's not the right one. The "installer" insists that he needs to change the small silver module underneath the headlight for the angel eye. I told him that's the Adaptive Headlight Module and he tells me I'm wrong. Then I tell him the angel eye bulb is the H8 bulb behind the inner cover. The "installer" then says the H8 bulb is the high beam bulb and he installed HUNDREDS of these and I am definitely wrong AND he personally has a car which he just did and it's the wrong bulb. I had to explain to him that it's different and explained the difference between pre-LCI halogen/xenon and LCI halogen/xenon which he still accuses me I am wrong and I sent the member a high beam bulb. THen I got pissed. I lectured him and told him I installed THOUSANDS of these which mesnt that he is wrong and should go learn the difference between an angel eye, low beam, and high beam. The freakin low beam and high beam is the SAME D1S bulb and he refuses to listen what I said. At the end, I told the member to get out of the shop and I will walk him through step by step to install it. Still waiting for the call from the member so he himself can install it instead of someone who cannot tell the different between an angel eye and a low/high beam.
Goddamnit, I have been exposed. It was me
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

John, that sounds like a pain. I hate stubborn people! Even if I am one

Here's my installed pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/5866090070/http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmkiang/5866090070/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/jmkiang/, on Flickr

I got the Weisslicht bulbs. They looked great in my garage but I don't know if there are that noticeable in the day light. Didn't really get a chance to get a good look at them though... just in the reflections of other cars.

Quick Reply: Trouble with LED replacement bulb swap for angel eyes