E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tires for M5 OEM 166 Wheel - HELP PLS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Guys,

I already have M5 OEM 166 wheels + General Exclaim UHP Tires on my 2006 525i (non-sport)

I got the recommended Tire Sizes for 525i and all, but after 8months of use, last week I hit a pothole and one of the tire got punctured.

Took it to the local shop and was told that tire need to be replaced. Luckily I had Tire/Wheel insurance w/ AUTOCLUB (now Paragon). Got the new tire and mounted for $270.

Now Car vibrates big time, Local shop simply said may be that wheel is bent too and it needs replacement. I took it to BMW Dealer and asked them to see where the vibration is coming from.. they stated it is from After-market Tires, and they stated may be because of un-even wear out.

That means I got to replace all the remaining Tires too???? This gonna be expensive as hell ((
Old 08-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='641603' date='Aug 7 2008, 09:55 PM
Guys,

I already have M5 OEM 166 wheels + General Exclaim UHP Tires on my 2006 525i (non-sport)

I got the recommended Tire Sizes for 525i and all, but after 8months of use, last week I hit a pothole and one of the tire got punctured.

Took it to the local shop and was told that tire need to be replaced. Luckily I had Tire/Wheel insurance w/ AUTOCLUB (now Paragon). Got the new tire and mounted for $270.

Now Car vibrates big time, Local shop simply said may be that wheel is bent too and it needs replacement. I took it to BMW Dealer and asked them to see where the vibration is coming from.. they stated it is from After-market Tires, and they stated may be because of un-even wear out.

That means I got to replace all the remaining Tires too???? This gonna be expensive as hell ((
My bet is it's the rim. Get it checked before you buy another tire just to find out it was the rim. Don't need to replace all the rims, just the faulty one. As for tires, you could just change out the one that's punctured providing the remaining tires still got alot of tread on em.... YMMV
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

I asked the BMW dealers to check if any RIMS are bent, they said NO. Not sure if they really checked all rims or simply blaming everything on After-market Tires.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='641637' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:30 PM
I asked the BMW dealers to check if any RIMS are bent, they said NO. Not sure if they really checked all rims or simply blaming everything on After-market Tires.
Hmmm... Well, unless they took of the tires and checked them thoroughly...

Anyways, why not drop by a tire shop, ask about prices and ask them to check to see if it's the rim or not..?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Tire shop states one of the rim where tire was replaced has some v.slight bent, but he states that shouldn't cause problem.

BMW Dealer states no problem w/ RIMS.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I suspect it may be the rim as well. It doesn't take much for an out of round wheel to cause some vibrations. Could it simply need to re-balanced?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

ohh.. I will take it again to Local shop to check the wheels again. What a pain for flat-tire !!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

It is likely the rim.

Here is what you need to do to find out (I have your same setup).

Go to a place with a Hunter dual force balancing machine. Have them remove the tire and weights from the wheel.

When they run the wheel on the balancing machine without the tire. If it is warped, I bet you will see the wheel moving in a strange manner on the machine, and the numbers of the machine will go off the chart.

I have generals too (same #166s too), and they are good tires (people confuse price with quality, and uneducated installers always blame the tires when they do not understand balancing).

If the wheel does not shake, and the balance numbers are not off the charts, then put the tire back on and test it again with the tire. Then, put weights back on the wheels and tires.

If you already balanced the wheels on a Hunter machine, and it is still vibrating when you actually drive, it really has to be the wheel.

I would be curious to see what happens if you test your wheel in this manner. In my case, I think that the place that changed my tires actually warped the wheels, so I demanded that they produce these tests in front of me. Of course, it was the rim, and not the new general exclaim tire.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Thanks Monacobmw.. appreciate the long reply.

I will take it again to local shop and tell him the above information you have it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I had my bent M166 repaired (hit a pothole too). A local Discount Tire Store sent it to another shop.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tires for M5 OEM 166 Wheel - HELP PLS