E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Nitrogen filled tires are becoming popular ?? Anyone doing this and getting good results??
I read on websites good things about Nitrogen filled tires.

NITROGEN:
is an inert gas and pure(air is mixture)
lacks moisture(air has moisture and produces moisture that may damage the wheels/tires)
does not oxidises(air/oxygen undergoes oxidation and may produce moisture)
larger molecule size( does not escape fast and not diffuses as air)
displaces air/oxygen in tire and thereby reducing oxidation
weighs less than air/oxygen(less weight of vehicle as a whole)
does not support combustion(air/oxygen supports)
consistent in pressure and volume -psi does not epand/contract like air (time and moneysaving, no need to check psi often)
helps in traction and handling(pressure and volume consistent)
increases tire life and quality
very safe in freezing/subzeroes(liquified temp-196, freezes at -210 )

please post your thoughts and experiences if you have any with Niitrogen filled tires.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

I have no direct experience but it is my understanding that it is not very expensive to fill your tires and I also believe it can't do any harm so you might wish to try.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=43907

see post #21
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

I had nitrogen put in mine when I replaced the tires. The difficulty is that I went from RFT with air to conventional rubber with nitrogen - so it is hard to guage the impact (if any) of the nitrogen.

I can say after about 3,000 miles the ride is like silk compared to the runflats and noise is down significantly. These improvements are no doubt 99% tires. In the end I went with nitrogen because it was not that much and comes with a lifetime refill and check included. I live about 2 miles from the tire dealer so every month I drive through and in 2 mins they check the pressures and will top up if necessary. So far there have been no pressure losses. Also where I live has pretty large temperature swings and the constant pressure provided by nitrogen may be more advantageous in those circumstances.

I am thinking of getting my wifes done just so I know she can drive through and have her pressure kept just right at all times. Correct tire pressure is a key safety feature.

PS: The red valve caps and nitrogen stickers next to the valves look okay too.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='464419' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:19 AM

... which also states that nitrogen already makes up 78% of the air around us. Is the benefit of going from normal air with 78% nitrogen in it already to 100% nitrogen going to be that much for daily drivers and daily driving I wonder.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Never knew that this was a possiblity. I know nitrogen is in the air, that we breathe.

so how does this make driving better?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

I was considering filling the tyres with Hydrogen, I have heard that it makes for more explosive acceleration...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='464503' date='Aug 31 2007, 02:29 PM
I was considering filling the tyres with Hydrogen, I have heard that it makes for more explosive acceleration...

Lol, I was considering to write the same thing
Old 08-31-2007, 05:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='464426' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:45 PM
I had nitrogen put in mine when I replaced the tires. The difficulty is that I went from RFT with air to conventional rubber with nitrogen - so it is hard to guage the impact (if any) of the nitrogen.

I can say after about 3,000 miles the ride is like silk compared to the runflats and noise is down significantly. These improvements are no doubt 99% tires. In the end I went with nitrogen because it was not that much and comes with a lifetime refill and check included. I live about 2 miles from the tire dealer so every month I drive through and in 2 mins they check the pressures and will top up if necessary. So far there have been no pressure losses. Also where I live has pretty large temperature swings and the constant pressure provided by nitrogen may be more advantageous in those circumstances.

I am thinking of getting my wifes done just so I know she can drive through and have her pressure kept just right at all times. Correct tire pressure is a key safety feature.

PS: The red valve caps and nitrogen stickers next to the valves look okay too.
Runflats with air and 3,000 miles are also very quiet and smooth. Runflats begin to make noise at 12,000 to 15,000 miles.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

And putting snake oil in your engine will make your car go 22% faster. Anyone know where I can get any? Any snake oil salesmen out there?

"Inert gas" - I think the stuff outside the tyre, ie air, is more worrying for reactivity than the stuff in your tyre
"lacks moisture" - only because it comes in bottles produced by freezing air, and therefore removing moisture. If you filled your tyres with a foot pump on a subzero day there would be virtually no moisture in there, and that would be free
"does not oxidise/corrode/combust/etc" - see point above about what's outside the tyre that matters more...
"larger molecule size" - actually N2 is smaller than O2, or at least very very similar
"weighs less" - yeah, the weight of air really bothers me. How can we stand living in it?
"consistent in pressure" - the crucial thing here is the amount of water vapour - this can affect changes in pressure with temperature. However, for 2 dry gases, it matters not whether they are N2 or gaseous uranium, the pressure/temperature relationship is identical - Boyle's law, in fact, been around since 1662, or about 13 billion years, or about 4022 years for any creationists out there.
"safe in freezing conditions" - this one really made me laugh . How many people here have had the air in their tyres freeze on them? O2 boils at -182, carbon dioxide (<1% of air) may be the first component to liquify (or sublime to a solid more likely, depending on the pressure) but even that would never happen on any point on earth (around -78C at 1 bar)

Regards

Andrew
(a chemical engineer)

Quick Reply: Tires