E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

tire rubbing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

hi beemer buddies...need some help
i own a 2005 545i non sport.. i put on 19" m6 rims with the recomended tire size for my car..
fronts 245/35/19
rear 275/30/19

the other day i was driving on the freeway and hit a few dips.. everytime i hit a dip
i hear the tires rubbing...there is no rubbing when i hit a pot hole or bumps.. just dips.. im almost sure that its rubbing agains the plastics..when i get a chance ill double
check..

question is if i put on the recomended tire size, why do i still get rubbing??
the car rides perfect... anyone else has this problem??
maybe the shocks are giving out?? i need input please
im getting the m-kit put on my car tomorrow.. maybe it will have a bigger wheel to plastic space?

thanks all!!
Attached Thumbnails tire rubbing???-photo1.jpg   tire rubbing???-photo3.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Sounds to me (from the brief description) that your shocks are toast, how many miles on the car? Are they the original shocks/springs?
You are running the correct, recommended tire size for 19" rims on our cars. I run 245/35/20 and 275/30/20 on my car, lowered on coilovers and I have no rubbing.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Sounds to me (from the brief description) that your shocks are toast, how many miles on the car? Are they the original shocks/springs?
You are running the correct, recommended tire size for 19" rims on our cars. I run 245/35/20 and 275/30/20 on my car, lowered on coilovers and I have no rubbing.
the car just hit 70k...i purchased the car back in 2008 and as far as i know there on original shock/spring...
is there a way to check to see if my shocks are bad w/o taking it in to the shop?? i mean i car drives good? unless i just forgot how good the car used to feel
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by pjinca
+1. No way you should be rubbing on nonsport suspension. If it only rubs on dips, sounds like shocks need to be replaced.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Members

What about on a sport suspension. I have M5 rims on my 04 545i and when turning into lots with a raised curb lib or on dips I hear rubbing too. Running appropriate tire size for the m5 rims for my car as well.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Weebz
What about on a sport suspension. I have M5 rims on my 04 545i and when turning into lots with a raised curb lib or on dips I hear rubbing too. Running appropriate tire size for the m5 rims for my car as well.
Hmm, I just recently got my M5 166s and have yet to hear it rub. When you are parked on a level surface, does it look like the car is uneven? (Front lower than the rear or vice versa, or car leaning to one side when looking from the front/rear). Are you using spacers?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Hmm, I just recently got my M5 166s and have yet to hear it rub. When you are parked on a level surface, does it look like the car is uneven? (Front lower than the rear or vice versa, or car leaning to one side when looking from the front/rear). Are you using spacers?

from what i see the car is 100% level..i think its the shocks like you all mentioned. most likely getting lowering shocks and springs soon .. i guess ill take it from there...

btw.. just installed my m-kit.. what do you guys think??
Attached Thumbnails tire rubbing???-photo3l.jpg   tire rubbing???-photo2m.jpg  
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Will545i
from what i see the car is 100% level..i think its the shocks like you all mentioned. most likely getting lowering shocks and springs soon .. i guess ill take it from there...

btw.. just installed my m-kit.. what do you guys think??

Looks awesome!! Needs a slight drop (which should take car of your rubbing issue as well) and then you're set.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Looks awesome!! Needs a slight drop (which should take car of your rubbing issue as well) and then you're set.

Bilstein sport shock absorbers and eibach springs...what do you guys think of that set up??

i want comfort and a drop...
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

That's a common setup, though most here go with H&R sports and Koni yellows. I'm not sure why though, as I have yet to change out my springs and shocks. I'll be doing my research in a few months though.

Quick Reply: tire rubbing???