E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tints or no tints ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i Premium Package. Wish list: HR Sports Spring, AC rear/roof spoiler; Breyton's front airdam.

I do not see any reason why you should be hiding from your car! You are driving a bimmer and that is class of its own. I am proud to have everyone see me drive my ultimate driving machine.... Again that is just me..
Old 05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Members

I put on 5% limo tint . Was a little hard to get used for the first week (especially at night), but now I am used to it!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Brodie' post='290406' date='May 31 2006, 09:30 AM
I do not see any reason why you should be hiding from your car! You are driving a bimmer and that is class of its own. I am proud to have everyone see me drive my ultimate driving machine.... Again that is just me..

Dont like the attention I get from ummm others who are less fortunate... If there were no jealous people on the face of this earth the I wouldnt mind.

Ever heard of those in Pinto equivalent cars ramming into the side of someone else's car or the back of someone elses car out of jealousy?, eh answer is prob no but? They have no insurance? they have no money you can sue for? So in the end it'll just be a hassle. I like to be discrete anyways persoanl preference.

Tints make the car look better anyways.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='290449' date='May 31 2006, 11:01 AM
Dont like the attention I get from ummm others who are less fortunate... If there were no jealous people on the face of this earth the I wouldnt mind.
Truer words were never spoken. I got my jet black 2007 550 last week and two days later, I go to Target and park next to this crappy, old broken down pickup truck that was once white. Now mind you, at this particular Target (perhaps to accomodate SUV driving soccer moms) the parking spaces are wide enough land an airplane on. Yet when I come out 20 minutes later, DOOR DING on my REAR passenger door. The car is TWO FREAKING DAYS OLD. And how, mind you, does someone driving a TWO DOOR piece of crap manage to hit my REAR passenger door in the widest parking spot imaginable unless there's some serious hatin goin on?

2007 Jet Black 550, Sport Package, Sirius & HD Radio, Comfort Access, Navigation, Heated Seats, Logic 7 Sound System
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 AM
Members

For this exact same reason, I always park in the furthest spot available, and NEVER next to crappy cars - I'd rather spend 20 bucks on paid parking and park on the TOP floor and walk 20 minutes then park closest to my destination. Nevertheless, sometimes idiots manage to park next to me (more often than you'd think) - I don't know why, is it because they like to be next to a pretty and expensive car, or just because they are retards, but once, one a$$hole sure enough parked 10 inches next to me on an empty parking lot and sure enough put a ding on my rear right door. Well, he was so dumb, he didn't even leave. So when I returned and examined my car, I saw the trouble, and confronted him. Long story short, he paid $400 to put a mark on my bimmer. Lesson [hopefully, but doubtfully] learned for him. :thumbsdown:

Originally Posted by jd2003' post='290462' date='May 31 2006, 02:29 PM
Truer words were never spoken. I got my jet black 2007 550 last week and two days later, I go to Target and park next to this crappy, old broken down pickup truck that was once white. Now mind you, at this particular Target (perhaps to accomodate SUV driving soccer moms) the parking spaces are wide enough land an airplane on. Yet when I come out 20 minutes later, DOOR DING on my REAR passenger door. The car is TWO FREAKING DAYS OLD. And how, mind you, does someone driving a TWO DOOR piece of crap manage to hit my REAR passenger door in the widest parking spot imaginable unless there's some serious hatin goin on?

2007 Jet Black 550, Sport Package, Sirius & HD Radio, Comfort Access, Navigation, Heated Seats, Logic 7 Sound System
Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='290123' date='May 30 2006, 08:18 PM
TINT TINT TINT!
TINT! TINT! TINT! TINT!

Formula one is great. I wish my dealer offered me Formula one tint.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='290054' date='May 31 2006, 01:52 AM
What do you guys think of tints on the 5 ??
The dealership offered me a Formula One Auto tint on delivery of the vehicle....

I'm kind of on the fence on this one....

On one side a dark car with tints looks pretty slick.....
on the other hand tints can make the car look somewhat "cheesy"
p.s. no offence to those who have tints...i've seen some really good looking cars on this forum...

If I do go with tints can anyone suggest what % to go with and if you have pics....even better!!
35% - legal in just about any state and it does protect your interior. Do not get darker back windows and lighter front. THAT looks cheesy- uneven (no offense either for those of you who have that). Get 35% all around and ENSURE you see the work your prospective installer does before you commit - preferably on another E60. There are some incredibly bad jobs here and some outstanding ones as well. I got lucky with a good shop - but had to go 40 miles out of the way to get it done. It was worth it though. Check it out.

Tints or no tints ??-side.jpg

Tints or no tints ??-back.jpg
Old 05-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by cwoarmy' post='290335' date='May 31 2006, 10:22 AM
I just had Huper Optik put on mine. Not too dark and really helps with the Florida sunshine. Wife also has Huper Optik on her car and she swears by it. She says it really keeps the heat out while driving.

I just had Huper Optik 30% tint installed on my 325i. The 325i is sparkling graphite color, and the tint is a nice match to the car color.

However, I have not noticed any heat-rejection difference between the Huper-Optik film vs. the Llumar film which is on my 545i. The claim from Huper-Optik is that the heat-rejection should be noticably better.

That said, I still like the Huper-Optik film.... I just wish it came in 20%. 30% is not quite enough privacy for my taste. 20% is perfect.

I am extremely proud to own my BMW cars.... but that is not the point. If you read my story above, you will see one of the potential dangers which exists in this not-so-perfect world. Jealousy is a powerful emotion which can cause people to have strong reactions, particularly negative. The driver who tried to attack my teenage brother just for looking at him is the perfect example. Window tint provides privacy which can act as a buffer between you and the outside world, and prevent such confrontations. It's not about hiding your identity as a BMW owner... it's about preventing unknown individuals from seeing into your personal space. Do you have curtains or blinds on your windows at home? You probably do, and you use them at night so outsiders can't peer into your bedroom. It's the same thing.

Final point. Santiago - Get that M badge off your car... like not now, but RIGHT NOW. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have 30% lumar and think it looks great and reduces heat.
Attached Thumbnails Tints or no tints ??-tints.jpg  
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='290554' date='May 31 2006, 11:41 PM
Final point. Santiago - Get that M badge off your car... like not now, but RIGHT NOW. :thumbsdown:
I think not. I like it like that. The car has all the M accessories made and the M goes well with it - it balances the trunk lid. I would agree with you and not even put one if I had a plain body style. For that matter, no one should buy the M-Aero kit for their cars since they're not M5s. BMW shouldn't even sell it separately, but they do.

Cheers.

PS I don't know if you read an earlier posting of mine that the dealership had taken it upon themselves to remove the 550i and put M5 on the car when I first bought it because they thought it'd look good with the M-Kit. Now that's totally unacceptable. The badge stays. It's all about personal choice, but I appreciate your feelings about it.

Quick Reply: Tints or no tints ??