E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tints or no tints ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

Does tint affect the auto dimming mirrors, etc.? Love the look of tint...30% should do it.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

TINT TINT TINT!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

I live in the frozen North East of England and I still went for "Sun protection" glass...sets the car off great

Tints or no tints ??-gallery_2369_494_476477.jpg
Old 05-31-2006, 12:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='290054' date='May 30 2006, 04:52 PM
......on the other hand tints can make the car look somewhat "cheesy"......
That's why I went with a 55% tint. Most people here go with 35%, but that's too dark for me. With 55% it still looks tinted, but a bit more elegent than the dark ones IMO. Besides, I don't like having to look out through really dark windows when driving.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Hi, living in "usually always sunny Hawaii". I think you need the tint to help the ac and keep the leather in good condition. It helps with privacy, though I have a somewhat light tint.
Good luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Contributors

how about parttime tint?

Do 70% tint and your car will be partime tint. Sometimes it looks like there is no tint..and sometimes you see the cute tint illusion. It is so neat. I have 70%
Old 05-31-2006, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There is also a privacy benefit to tinting. With the sport wagon, I don't want someone to easily see what's in the back.

The importance of privacy as a safety feature should not be ignored. I remember when my younger brother got his first car, a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe (bright red)... he was sitting at a red light one day, and some guy who was not paying attention almost rear ended him at 30 mph. The guy slammed on his brakes at the last moment, and came to a screeching halt.

My brother heard the noise, and looked in his rear mirror to see what was going on. Well, since his windows were not tinted, the guy who had almost hit him saw my brother's eyes looking back.... and this set the guy off.

He got out of the car, and ran up to my brother's car.... punched the window, yelling at him... and then the guy tried to open my brother's car door, so he could attack him. Luckily, my family rule has always been to lock all doors when driving, for that exact reason. The light changed green, and he sped off.

The point is... if the windows had been tinted, my brother would have not been visible from behind the car.... and this confrontation would have been avoided.

So... all cars in my family now receive tint. No exceptions.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i, titanium gray, gray interior, NAV, adaptive headlights, window screens, folddown rear seats, PDC

I just had Huper Optik put on mine. Not too dark and really helps with the Florida sunshine. Wife also has Huper Optik on her car and she swears by it. She says it really keeps the heat out while driving.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

My 545i is jet black (with Aero Kit), and I like the all-black look of a very dark tint, so I have 15%. That means it blocks out 85% of the light- the windows look almost painted black. That % of tint is illegal here, but I have sensitive eyes and live in Atlatna, where it's good for temperature control as well.

But I like the "pimp" look.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='290296' date='May 31 2006, 05:14 AM
The importance of privacy as a safety feature should not be ignored. I remember when my younger brother got his first car, a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe (bright red)... he was sitting at a red light one day, and some guy who was not paying attention almost rear ended him at 30 mph. The guy slammed on his brakes at the last moment, and came to a screeching halt.

My brother heard the noise, and looked in his rear mirror to see what was going on. Well, since his windows were not tinted, the guy who had almost hit him saw my brother's eyes looking back.... and this set the guy off.

He got out of the car, and ran up to my brother's car.... punched the window, yelling at him... and then the guy tried to open my brother's car door, so he could attack him. Luckily, my family rule has always been to lock all doors when driving, for that exact reason. The light changed green, and he sped off.
The point is... if the windows had been tinted, my brother would have not been visible from behind the car.... and this confrontation would have been avoided.

So... all cars in my family now receive tint. No exceptions.
Wow. scary! Ya I like my windows tinted. 25% would be perfect for me. They cant make out the face but can see the image. I dont like people being able to see whos driving the car. Well especially for me.... being relativly young... and look even younger than I am doesnt help. For the first few weeks when I had the car other drivers... older, in ummm lets say less expensive cars... will look at me, you can say staring me down so I like my privacy.

Quick Reply: Tints or no tints ??