E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tinting a 545??....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i MY2004, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Interior Euro Red Reflectors, AUX input, CIP 18.1

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Jul 20 2005, 09:24 PM
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Unfortunately even the shade doesn?t matter in CA?you may not have any material on the front side windows

Again:
Not trying to be the ?know it all? tint guy here?it?s just that this is something that I am quite familiar with and I want to make sure we don?t inadvertently spread bad data?a simple phone call to the CHP or you local Police Dept will confirm the aforementioned facts
[snapback]151450[/snapback]
Maybe this would make it even more confusing:

CALIFORNIA CODES
VEHICLE CODE 26708:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent
material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows,
located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following
conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements
of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205),
including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and
the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal
standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability
of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle,
a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the
windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this
subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's
manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was
installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's
manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed
according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this
subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name
and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles,
or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed
or replaced.

I'm not a lawyer, but this section of the Vehicle Code seems very poorly written to me. It can be (and has been) interpreted as tint being legal in the front windows. (Of course, the only problem here is you can't find any 70 or 88% tint.)

Most window tinter, including Int'l Window Film Assoc, list the legal window tinting for every state, and lists California's as 70% for the front side windows (http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/consumer_i..._statelaws.html). If you are pulled over by a cop for whatever reason, it will depend on which officer stops you. If unfortunately you do get written up for window tinting, if you can, get the officer to write it up as a 26708(5) infraction (a fix-it ticket) instead of a 26708(a) fine and ticket.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Thanks for all the help guys. (Though I haven't decided what to do). I have driven an M3 for the past three years with no front plates, and I've gotten a few tickets (when parked), but no big deal. But spending about $500 on ceramic tint, and having to get it removed if I get cited, and then redo it...hmmm, I don't know.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Whatever is said about tints have been said...

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Jul 20 2005, 09:32 PM
[quote name='ch7656' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:24 PM']
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Unfortunately even the shade doesn?t matter in CA?you may not have any material on the front side windows

Again:
Not trying to be the ?know it all? tint guy here?it?s just that this is something that I am quite familiar with and I want to make sure we don?t inadvertently spread bad data?a simple phone call to the CHP or you local Police Dept will confirm the aforementioned facts
[snapback]151450[/snapback]
I agree with ch7656, no tint is legally allowed on the front windows, however, I have had 35% tint on my BMWs for the last 6 years and haven't had problems.

Iceman: I am supprized to here your opinion on the tint not affecting the radio reception. I have had a very bad problem in my past 2 cars with metalic tint. Since I went to ceramic, I haven't had any problems. Can you elaborate on your statement?
[snapback]151453[/snapback]
[/quote]

But I have standard tints on my car also done at Wintech and I dont have radio reception problems... I went cheap and didnt get the ceramic.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

This will probably mark me forever as a buttinski know-it-all killjoy (and maybe worse), but I have a serious problem with deep tints. Too many of my friends are police officers who get very nervous when they encounter an automobile with deep tints - they have no idea, when they pull it over, whether or not the driver or passenger is pulling out a Sig-Sauer 9mm which will end their life.

For tints sufficient to lower solar influx (to keep the car cooler), I have no problems. But the darker tints are, IMO, for "esthetic" purposes only, and have no place on the road. Our brave peace officers deserve to be able to sleep more soundly.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I know that Virginia has (or at least had - I haven't checked lately) a provision for medical waiver allowing uber-dark tint. I had some friends in college who had them - all you need to do is go to a doctor and complain of either heat rashes or eye sensitivity to bright light. A note from the physician allows you to get the waiver. I don't know if every state has such a provision, but with the medical waiver, the cop has to let you pass if they pull you over for the windows.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Members

Well said Max... I think it's easy to forget that there is a reason behind this law...it's not just to hassle people with nice cars. It's scary walking up on a car where you can't see anything inside!!! We've had several cops in LA shot just this way...
Old 07-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I was told by my tinter that any of the tints with reflective metals will affect AM radio reception but FM would be OK. I went with the ceramic and and haven't had any issues. I went with what they call medium on both front and back side windows and dark on the rear window. What ever you decide, keep the side windows the same, I think it looks better. Also, a girl I work with did the same tint on on her 330i as I have but since her car is black on black, it looks a lot darder on her car. When I get my 550i I'm going to go with light on the sides.

Tinting a 545??....-2005.07.17.jpg