E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tinting a 545??....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

I am picking up a Jet Black 545 in a couple of days. I want to tint it, but I live in Los Angeles, and I have heard conflicting things about the law. (I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for).

Does anyone know, specifically, what the law is, and more importantly, precisely what the penalties are for non-compliance (if it is just a small fine, I'll take the risk). I am not interested in just tinting the rear windows, I do not like the way that looks.

Addtitionally, I have a few general tinting questions since I have never tinted a car:

- Can the tint adversely affect the radio, satellite radio, or Nav?
- Can tinting void the warranty?
- Is "ceramic" tinting superior to standard tinting?
- Approximately what should I expect to pay for a good job?

Thank you.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Jul 21 2005, 01:19 AM
[snapback]151352[/snapback]
Nope.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Members

Any tint added to the front windows or windshield is illegal in CA. Ticket is a fix it ticket that requires you to get the tint removed and then bring the car in for an inspection to prove it.

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:19 PM
I am picking up a Jet Black 545 in a couple of days. I want to tint it, but I live in Los Angeles, and I have heard conflicting things about the law. (I did a search, but did not find what I was looking for).

Does anyone know, specifically, what the law is, and more importantly, precisely what the penalties are for non-compliance (if it is just a small fine, I'll take the risk). I am not interested in just tinting the rear windows, I do not like the way that looks.

Addtitionally, I have a few general tinting questions since I have never tinted a car:

Thank you.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:28 PM
Any tint added to the front windows or windshield is illegal in CA.? Ticket is a fix it ticket that requires you to get the tint removed and then bring the car in for an inspection to prove it.

[snapback]151358[/snapback]
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

So I guess the zillions of cars with tinted front windows I see every day are breaking the law. Hmmm.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Jul 20 2005, 05:34 PM
[quote name='Scott' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:28 PM']Any tint added to the front windows or windshield is illegal in CA.? Ticket is a fix it ticket that requires you to get the tint removed and then bring the car in for an inspection to prove it.

[snapback]151358[/snapback]
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

So I guess the zillions of cars with tinted front windows I see every day are breaking the law. Hmmm.
[snapback]151359[/snapback]
[/quote]

They are, and my sis-in-law in LA just got a ticket for 50% tint on the front doors of her Navigator. It's just an excuse for someone to pull you over, like missing front plates.

If you get a doctor's note for either an eye condition or a "stay out of the sun" condition, you can tint, but they'll still pull you over and hassle you, and likely try then to find some other citation.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

I was pulled over yesterday for speeding and he (CHP officer) did not even mention my windows. All my windows are tinted and I have no front plate. However, I have been pulled over specifically for tinted windows and ticketed. It really depends on the cop.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i MY2004, Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Interior Euro Red Reflectors, AUX input, CIP 18.1

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Jul 20 2005, 04:19 PM

Thank you.
The current CA tint law:

Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window - Any darkness can be used.
All windows tint must NOT be reflective

The rule of thumb is: if the cop can't identify the driver, the tint is not legal!

As explained by fellow forum members, the tint, regardless of the film material, shouldn't affect radio receptions on E60. It won't void the warranty of the car. Ceramic vs. Metal tint is a hot topic being debated in the Parts/Mods section...you might want to do a search on that topic. As for the cost, a decent tint job would cost you around $200 in So. Cal., twice that for Ceramic Tint.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

If you get a doctor's note for either an eye condition or a "stay out of the sun" condition, you can tint, but they'll still pull you over and hassle you, and likely try then to find some other citation.

unfortunately even the "doctors note" doesn't work for permanent tint it only pertains to devices that can be placed on the front side windows and easily removed at night?an example would be a piece of tinted plastic held on by suction cups. Now with a doctor?s note would most cops let it go?yeah probably but the law is very specific and says no tint, regardless of shade, on the front side windows.

Here?s the vehicle code section:
(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.
26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:
(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

Not trying to be the ?know it all? tint guy here?it?s just that this is something that I am quite familiar with and I want to make sure we don?t inadvertently spread bad data?a simple phone call to the CHP or you local Police Dept will confirm the aforementioned facts
Old 07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Unfortunately even the shade doesn?t matter in CA?you may not have any material on the front side windows

Again:
Not trying to be the ?know it all? tint guy here?it?s just that this is something that I am quite familiar with and I want to make sure we don?t inadvertently spread bad data?a simple phone call to the CHP or you local Police Dept will confirm the aforementioned facts
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:24 PM
Unfortunately even the shade doesn?t matter in CA?you may not have any material on the front side windows

Again:
[snapback]151450[/snapback]
I agree with ch7656, no tint is legally allowed on the front windows, however, I have had 35% tint on my BMWs for the last 6 years and haven't had problems.

Iceman: I am supprized to here your opinion on the tint not affecting the radio reception. I have had a very bad problem in my past 2 cars with metalic tint. Since I went to ceramic, I haven't had any problems. Can you elaborate on your statement?

Quick Reply: Tinting a 545??....