E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tinted Windows on e60

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006 | 07:32 AM
Members

Hey all...was talking to my dealer if they could professionally have tints put on my car. His response was that he recommends against it because of the exact fit of the window between the sqweegie rubbers as it drops into the door. Thing is I kinda like tints, not much, but at least 30% gives a nicer look to the car IMO especially on a darker color like mine titanium gray.

Has anyone had any problems with after market tints on your cars.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Pistol_Pete' post='294497' date='Jun 8 2006, 08:32 AM
Hey all...was talking to my dealer if they could professionally have tints put on my car. His response was that he recommends against it because of the exact fit of the window between the sqweegie rubbers as it drops into the door. Thing is I kinda like tints, not much, but at least 30% gives a nicer look to the car IMO especially on a darker color like mine titanium gray.

Thanks
I think almost everybody on this forum has tinted their windows - your right it does look better with a tint.

No problems here and I have never heard of any problems.

The sqweegie rubbers, I think, are on the outside of the window. The tint goes on the inside.

My recommendations are to find a good tint shop and to verify that the tint does not have any metal to it, as this can affect the radio reception.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:46 AM
Contributors

My tints were installed very well and am very pleased. I did not use the dealer. Local shop had more experience and was less expensive.
Old 06-08-2006 | 07:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

No problems with mine. There is a little rubber seal on the inside that my installer was able to install the tint into...under or whatever. I remember when I got my car back part of it was kind of rolled under...I freaked at first until I realized I could take my credit card and work it back like it was supposed to be. Apparently they use a tool to press the tint under that rubber "sqweege" seal which folds or rolls back the seal and part of it had not been unrolled. No big deal at all and it looks great, provides more privacy and keeps out some of the hot sun. I recommend it if you want more privacy or live in the south.
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jsal' post='294502' date='Jun 8 2006, 04:45 PM
I think almost everybody on this forum has tinted their windows - your right it does look better with a tint.
It's personal preference. In the same way that there are very few white e60s in EU and even fewer in UK. We don't have the climate here to support the look.

Here in UK to have your windows tinted is a little "Pimp My Ride"... and the cops would start getting interested!

ABC
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

The installer put Huper Optik on mine the day after delivery. No problems. Car much cooler than the last one with metallic tint.
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Originally Posted by Pistol_Pete' post='294497' date='Jun 8 2006, 11:32 AM

Thanks

My dealer actually told me something similar - said it may affect the anti-trap f'n, but I put on 35% Llumar tint and have had no problems.
And as noted above, it makes a big difference when it comes to getting into the car after it has been sitting several hours in the sun! (I bought the one with maximum heat [IR] reflection)
Old 06-08-2006 | 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The installer put Huper Optik on mine the day after delivery. No problems. Car much cooler than the last one with metallic tint.

I had Huper Optik tint put on my new 325i. My 545i has metallic tint.

There is no noticable difference in cooling effect between the films.

Only difference is the Huper-Optik isn't as dark, and looks gray. The Llumar film on my 545i looks black.
Old 06-08-2006 | 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='294544' date='Jun 8 2006, 07:36 PM
It's personal preference. In the same way that there are very few white e60s in EU and even fewer in UK. We don't have the climate here to support the look.

Here in UK to have your windows tinted is a little "Pimp My Ride"... and the cops would start getting interested!

ABC
Under EU regs anything darker than 35% (which is essentially the standard factory tint) within the front 180 degrees of vision i.e. windscreen and front sides is illegal. The back and rear side windows can be painted black matt. The factory tint therefore looks a bit odd
Old 06-08-2006 | 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='294544' date='Jun 8 2006, 07:36 PM

ABC
Under EU regs anything darker than 35% (which is essentially the standard factory tint) within the front 180 degrees of vision i.e. windscreen and front sides is illegal. On the other hand the back and rear side windows can be painted black matt. The factory tint like I have therefore looks a bit odd.

Quick Reply: Tinted Windows on e60